The Student Room Group

University of Oxford A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nwbsmed
It's definitely medicine, there is nothing else I can imagine doing really. I'm just a very stubborn person and feel the need to prove to myself that I can if that makes sense? I also realise that sounds very childish and impulsive, but I genuinely think I'd manage it for 2022 entry?

On what basis?

Oxford is probably the most competitive med school, with application to offer rate of about 8. The fact that you managed an interview this year is probably a good thing, and reapplicants have extra experience so probably do a bit better, but still: what do you think your chances actually are? Only 40% of those interviewed get offers, and you might not actually get an interview next year. I'd guess your chances are still going to be <50%, possibly a lot lower.

Take what you have.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 41
I suspect the increase in A* grades is going to mean higher BMATs for an interview for 2022..... Where will it end??
Original post by GANFYD
I suspect the increase in A* grades is going to mean higher BMATs for an interview for 2022..... Where will it end??

:sadnod:

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by GANFYD

They'll start differentiating 8s and 9s soon, most likely. That'll bring it slightly down.
Reply 44
Original post by nexttime
They'll start differentiating 8s and 9s soon, most likely. That'll bring it slightly down.

Yes, Nottingham have already announced this for next year :eek:
Original post by nexttime

I know it's hard to say when, but could this potentially happen for 2022 entry?
Original post by thebread3
I know it's hard to say when, but could this potentially happen for 2022 entry?

Sufficient time has passed since they were introduced to have data on how the correlate with first year results now, so yes its possible.
Reply 47
Hey there, current year 12 student here.

Long story short, come from a very academically pressured background. I was told I had to go to Oxford from birth. But over time I started the high key like the idea myself. Since deciding to do medicine, I put that thought to the back of my mind. Even though I believe I would still enjoy the medicine course there. I am well aware there is no prestige factor too don't get me wrong.

Having achieved 98888777777, am I right in thinking it would be a wasted application. Even god willing I get a high BMAT, good PS and interview. Isn't the average number of a* like 10?

It would be a dream to study there, but I completely understand if it's a bit of a reach.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by pepsiu
Hey there, current year 12 student here.

Long story short, come from a very academically pressured background. I was told I had to go to Oxford from birth. But over time I started the high key like the idea myself. Since deciding to do medicine, I put that thought to the back of my mind. Even though I believe I would still enjoy the medicine course there. I am well aware there is no prestige factor too don't get me wrong.

Having achieved 98888777777, am I right in thinking it would be a wasted application. Even god willing I get a high BMAT, good PS and interview. Isn't the average number of a* like 10?

It would be a dream to study there, but I completely understand if it's a bit of a reach.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

This is the 2020 cohort entry stats for medicine at oxford. You have a shot but you will need a very high BMAT score.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pepsiu

10.7, and that was before the covid-related massive grade inflation. The mean proportion of A*s was 0.96, yours is 0.45.

For people with 5A*s, 0/74 were even interviewed. 6A* was 0/84 - offers only start at 7A*s, and they likely had extenuating circumstances.

For proportion of A*, 0/46 got an offer with a p of 0.40-49. No offers were given below 0.7.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics/text-equivalent-of-the-bar-charts-on-the-shortlisting-process-and-admissions-statistics-webpage

Whilst its not physically impossible, I'd suggest your chances are extremely low and certainly not worth applying.

Cambridge is still an option and shares a lot of the unique aspects of Oxford in terms of academic course, tutorials, and college system. You'd need to be able to get A*A*A though of course.
Reply 50
I wanted to apply for University of Oxford but my GCSE are not good enough.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 51
I got biology physics maths:9
Chemistry geography:7
Spanish:8
Lang:5
Lit:6
Reply 52
Original post by SyedN
It depends on a lot of different factors such as:

What do you want to study medicine?
What are your grades?
Have you had any work experience related to healthcare?

Yes medicine
Reply 54
I started education in England at year 9, and didnt sit my exam due to covid.
Reply 55
Original post by SyedN
It depends on a lot of different factors such as:

Why do you want to study medicine?
What are your grades?
Have you had any work experience related to healthcare?

99987765: 6 and 5 in english (lang/lit).
Original post by N20003
I got biology physics maths:9
Chemistry geography:7
Spanish:8
Lang:5
Lit:6

Read what @Levi.- has linked. Without straight Grade 8 / 9s you won't stand a chance.

You can apply but it will be a wasted choice.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 57

Thanks
Reply 58
I have one 6 and a mixture of 7s, 8s and 9s which I am not pleased with. Is there still a chance of me getting in?
'Average GCSEs' in the UK is like seven 5s.

For medicine? No. See here https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending