The Student Room Group

LGBTQ+ Q and A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
I think for me it's remembering that the views that you have been around are just one view and not the way that everyone thinks. A lot of religious people are not homophobic or transphobic and are even part of the community. Often people seem to choose to use their Religion as an excuse as to why they hold these homophobic and transphobic views. But remember they are just one part of society, the majority of people do not feel the same way :smile:

Also most part of east like asia are quite homophobic and maybe the middle east and also russia I think as well. Or countries like china or north korea.
Hey, I have been out since October but today I feel like I'm faking it. This normal?
Original post by WrenTheBest2004
Hey, I have been out since October but today I feel like I'm faking it. This normal?

Sounds a bit like imposter syndrome, that constant feeling that you are lying or faking it.
It's normal, sadly.
Original post by WrenTheBest2004

Yeah- like @CaitTopaz said, at least in my own experience with coming to terms with my sexuality, and from what friends have said, impostor syndrome seems to be reasonably common. I know it probably doesn’t help, but the actual ‘impostors’ never feel like impostors, so if you feel like this, chances are it’s just your brain being mean. I know it sucks though :/
I recently came out as bi so now I’m here (:
Original post by fellowweebhere
I recently came out as bi so now I’m here (:

Great news! I'm so happy you felt comfortable enough to come out :yep: do you have any questions or need any advice? :smile:
Original post by parmezanne
Great news! I'm so happy you felt comfortable enough to come out :yep: do you have any questions or need any advice? :smile:

Haha I came out to everyone except my family I live with because they are strict Christian homophobic people ): and not really I’ve been fine (: ty
Haha I came out to everyone except my family I live with because they are strict Christian homophobic people ): and not really I’ve been fine (: ty

Well that's great news apart from the family - do you think they'd come around if you told them or is it completely out of the question for now?

I'm glad you're feeling good. :yep:
Original post by parmezanne
Well that's great news apart from the family - do you think they'd come around if you told them or is it completely out of the question for now?

I'm glad you're feeling good. :yep:

It’s completely out of the question because i think I’d get beat for it so it’s better not to (:
It’s completely out of the question because i think I’d get beat for it so it’s better not to (:

If you have been beaten or feel that you're in danger of being, please do speak to a trusted adult/ChildLine or, in a dangerous situation, please call the police. No parent has the right to beat their own child, it's completely illegal and never justified (this includes threats of it).
(edited 3 years ago)
No cuz this thread is so cute i love it!! <3
god you must love gay people if you think they're powerful enough to destroy the world. imagine thinking that much of anyone

Spoiler

Original post by harlz_chalamet
No cuz this thread is so cute i love it!! <3

I'm glad you appreciate it. :yep:
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
god you must love gay people if you think they're powerful enough to destroy the world. imagine thinking that much of anyone

Spoiler

Honestly, I feel this way whenever people are 'scared' of LGBTQ+ folks - it's so weak. Comments like 'we'll all be gay eventually' said in a horrified tone make me laugh - we're not contagious! :lol:
Quite long, but bear with me; a friend of mine is worried about coming out, not because of fear of not being accepted (their family is fairly progressive) but because they aren't really traditional for their gender and so there is already a lot of speculation about their orientation (which I shouldn't need to mention they don't appreciate), so they are concerned that they would be met with a lot of 'haha I knew it!!/my 'gaydar' was right again!!!' kind of responses. I come to this thread asking, is there anything I can tell them to assuage their fears? Moreover, has anyone who is 'out' experienced this kind of thing? I would really like to support them however I can and I feel that making them feel less worried would be appreciated by them.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
If you have been beaten or feel that you're in danger of being, please do speak to a trusted adult/ChildLine or, in a dangerous situation, please call the police. No parent has the right to beat their own child, it's completely illegal and never justified (this includes threats of it)

Yeah i understand
Original post by Anonymous
Quite long, but bear with me; a friend of mine is worried about coming out, not because of fear of not being accepted (their family is fairly progressive) but because they aren't really traditional for their gender and so there is already a lot of speculation about their orientation (which I shouldn't need to mention they don't appreciate), so they are concerned that they would be met with a lot of 'haha I knew it!!/my 'gaydar' was right again!!!' kind of responses. I come to this thread asking, is there anything I can tell them to assuage their fears? Moreover, has anyone who is 'out' experienced this kind of thing? I would really like to support them however I can and I feel that making them feel less worried would be appreciated by them.

I think unfortunately it's entirely possible they will be met with that kind of reaction, at least from a few people. I'd say the main thing to voice though, is that your friend should never feel they have to act or present themselves in a certain way, and if they do happen to meet certain stereotypes, that's totally fine! If people do make those kinds of comments, it's their problem, not your friend's.

If your friend felt comfortable with it though, they could maybe explain why they don't appreciate the comments to anyone who did say something like that? They certainly don't owe anyone an explanation, but I think some people will consider those to be throwaway comments, and won't realise the underlying problems with them.
I've been thinking for over a year that i might be asexual . I know that to be asexual it means that you aren't attracted to people sexually but you can still be in relationships .

I am just wondering what i am because i would call someone pretty or think that they are particularly attractive but i would never date them or have sex with them .

I also think that in theory , dating is great but in practise i think it's takes a lot of energy , this leads to me not wanting to date but sometimes i have urges to date someone just for fun and not seriously for a long time .

My friends just think that i'm not ready or they just don't believe me but i really don't know any other sexualities that match me as much as this one does .

aaaaaaaaa what a mess :redface:

(Original post by BurstingBubbles)Happy to answer any suitable questions :yep:
Original post by Anonymous
I've been thinking for over a year that i might be asexual . I know that to be asexual it means that you aren't attracted to people sexually but you can still be in relationships .

I am just wondering what i am because i would call someone pretty or think that they are particularly attractive but i would never date them or have sex with them .

I also think that in theory , dating is great but in practise i think it's takes a lot of energy , this leads to me not wanting to date but sometimes i have urges to date someone just for fun and not seriously for a long time .

My friends just think that i'm not ready or they just don't believe me but i really don't know any other sexualities that match me as much as this one does .

aaaaaaaaa what a mess :redface:

(Original post by BurstingBubbles)Happy to answer any suitable questions :yep:

Hi there, I'm an asexual :smile:

I don't know if you've heard about aesthetic attraction, which is where you find that someone is 'pretty' or 'handsome', and it is distinct from romantic and sexual attraction. Of course, those who aren't asexual (allosexuals) will often experience aesthetic and sexual attraction simultaneously, but they don't necessarily need to occur at the same time. Experiencing aesthetic attraction does not mean that you cannot be asexual.

If you want to identify as asexual because you feel it fits you, then don't let anyone else put you off from doing so! Unfortunately it's very common for others to say things like 'maybe you're not ready yet' or not to believe asexuals when we describe their experiences, and this to a large degree because there a lot of people simply have not heard of this sexual orientation. As a community we are beginning to increase awareness of asexuality though, through people like Yasmin Benoit and Emi Salida.

If you have any more questions then don't hesitate to ask!
i am just finding my feet as a crossdresser but am still very scared

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending