The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Is Exeter really as posh as they make it out to be?

I'm applying for Holland Hall too and everyone is warning me that everyone is extremely posh and rude
I've never heard of Exeter being "posh" at all.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I've never heard of Exeter being "posh" at all.

oh really. what have you heard about it?
I'm applying for Holland Hall too and everyone is warning me that everyone is extremely posh and rude

Holland Hall is where all the private school kids go or richest International students as it's so expensive. If you prefer to mix with more down to earth types, choose a cheaper hall.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
Holland Hall is where all the private school kids go or richest International students as it's so expensive. If you prefer to mix with more down to earth types, choose a cheaper hall.

Oh dear. Which other halls would you suggest from your experience?
The reason I wanted to pick HH was because it's catered and I've had trouble with EDs in the past and I need that routine I think. But that's putting me off a bit!
There's a reason why they call it Exetah. Are there other catered halls that you could look at?
Reply 6
There's a reason why they call it Exetah. Are there other catered halls that you could look at?

Yeah there are but apparently it's the same for all catered halls (according to my friends anyway)
The reason I wanted to pick HH was because it's catered and I've had trouble with EDs in the past and I need that routine I think. But that's putting me off a bit!

My son is at Exeter and he says Birks Grange has a good reputation for being a bit more diverse and friendly (and they have a catered block), only downside is you have to walk up the hill to lectures.

If you changed your mind about the catered thing, Lafrowda is good which is where he was in first year. The location is better than Birks as it's more central.
Yeah there are but apparently it's the same for all catered halls (according to my friends anyway)

Exeter hall is also catered and is on the Lafrowda side of campus.

As mentioned, Birks is pretty good (although cardiac hill can be killer for 8:30 lectures... :wink:)

Exeter halls I've heard is good, but personally don't know much about, Mardon too is close to Holland but is mostly shared rooms (but is cheaper!).
You sound in a similar situation to my eldest who has firmed Exeter (although will need to get the grades which might not happen!) We ended up watching quite a lot of youtube videos about the halls of residence at Exeter. Although physically Holland Hall looks lovely the general feedback of people who had lived there or visited there sounded quite negative. They said it can be 'cliquey' so we ended up applying for Birks Grange catered and Exeter Hall catered as first two chouces and then non catered for the other three. Exeter Hall is just as expensive as Holland Hall but Birks Grange was slightly cheaper. Even though it's an uphill trek to campus it sounds more friendly and they said it has a village atmosphere. Well worth looking at youtube as there was some quite good videos all about Exeter accomodation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending