The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Sketch house or wigram for csm

Hi ,

I’m going to CSM in September and I need to apply for accommodation. I have been looking and the two that I like it wigram house and sketch house. I have heard really bad things about sketch house but also good things and I am getting very mixed messages. It is very out of central london and the whole idea of me going to London is to be central. But people I have spoken to at CSM have never heard of wigram house. I know it’s more expensive but lovely area but I don’t know if it’s good for social life and meeting people as all I want to do is meet new friends and have some fun. Just want some advice. Everything I have heard about wigram house is good but it’s primarily people from lcf and that doesn’t bother me but I want to be able to not feel left out as I don’t have that many friends and the whole point of going to accommodation is to meet people. I have also heard of ebc but I am deffo not going there because how far out it is of central london. Can anyone share their experience or how they found these places! Please!
Reply 1
I, personally, think sketch house is sh!t (got censored lol). Or at least it was that bad last year when I was there.
(edited 2 years ago)
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ktrisha
I, personally, think sketch house is sh!t (got censored lol). Or at least it was that bad last year when I was there.

Do you mind elaborating on why this is? I'm currently applying to live in a residence hall
Reply 3
Original post by henryp74
Do you mind elaborating on why this is? I'm currently applying to live in a residence hall

Ok so this is all just from personal experience. The rooms kind of vary in sizes and u can't really choose unless u want a studio room. I had a very tiny room and it was super stuffy and annoying specially if you're a messy person. Then, I also personally didn't like my flatmates but I know others who liked theirs. There's no damn working printers, idk about now but they stopped working when I was there. The events are cool and u get to meet people but a big major con is that the area around sketch house is very shady. Like it's not very student friendly and it's scary to walk around there at night. It makes me wish I lived closer to the city centre. The staff is friendly though.
Reply 4
Original post by ktrisha
Ok so this is all just from personal experience. The rooms kind of vary in sizes and u can't really choose unless u want a studio room. I had a very tiny room and it was super stuffy and annoying specially if you're a messy person. Then, I also personally didn't like my flatmates but I know others who liked theirs. There's no damn working printers, idk about now but they stopped working when I was there. The events are cool and u get to meet people but a big major con is that the area around sketch house is very shady. Like it's not very student friendly and it's scary to walk around there at night. It makes me wish I lived closer to the city centre. The staff is friendly though.

Thank you for responding. I have spoken to so many people now and they are all saying do not go to sketch house lol!!! One of the things I was worried about was the area so thank you so much. I think I’m going to Apple for wigram :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for responding. I have spoken to so many people now and they are all saying do not go to sketch house lol!!! One of the things I was worried about was the area so thank you so much. I think I’m going to Apple for wigram :smile:

Wigram was one of my options I think but I don't really remember. And yeah my parents really hated sketch house too. The station and bus stop locations are near but that's it. The area itself is kind of creepy. And there was even a murder right outside sketch house last year. A delivery guy was stabbed by some car driver I think (not trying to scare u lol it's just London but yeah it was just shocking and sad and scary) Also, if you don't mind like the costs, you could even look at the Chapter accommodations. Some are more expensive than the others. I know some friends who were staying in Chapter Spitalfields and they loved it (it's the more expensive one). The Islington one apparently wasn't too great so I'm not sure. Just offering another option to you :smile: Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by ktrisha
Wigram was one of my options I think but I don't really remember. And yeah my parents really hated sketch house too. The station and bus stop locations are near but that's it. The area itself is kind of creepy. And there was even a murder right outside sketch house last year. A delivery guy was stabbed by some car driver I think (not trying to scare u lol it's just London but yeah it was just shocking and sad and scary) Also, if you don't mind like the costs, you could even look at the Chapter accommodations. Some are more expensive than the others. I know some friends who were staying in Chapter Spitalfields and they loved it (it's the more expensive one). The Islington one apparently wasn't too great so I'm not sure. Just offering another option to you :smile: Good luck!

oh no... do you think it would be difficult in terms of transit if I I had to ride the tube every morning and night at another residence hall besides sketch house? I'm debating whether I want the convenience of Sketch house or the safety and closeness to central London of another hall.
Reply 7
oh no... do you think it would be difficult in terms of transit if I I had to ride the tube every morning and night at another residence hall besides sketch house? I'm debating whether I want the convenience of Sketch house or the safety and closeness to central London of another hall.

Did you apply for CSM foundation or an undergrad course at CSM? Because the building is different for the foundation course.
Reply 8
Original post by ktrisha
Did you apply for CSM foundation or an undergrad course at CSM? Because the building is different for the foundation course.

I'm attending the foundation course at the archway campus
Original post by Anonymous
Hi ,

I’m going to CSM in September and I need to apply for accommodation. I have been looking and the two that I like it wigram house and sketch house. I have heard really bad things about sketch house but also good things and I am getting very mixed messages. It is very out of central london and the whole idea of me going to London is to be central. But people I have spoken to at CSM have never heard of wigram house. I know it’s more expensive but lovely area but I don’t know if it’s good for social life and meeting people as all I want to do is meet new friends and have some fun. Just want some advice. Everything I have heard about wigram house is good but it’s primarily people from lcf and that doesn’t bother me but I want to be able to not feel left out as I don’t have that many friends and the whole point of going to accommodation is to meet people. I have also heard of ebc but I am deffo not going there because how far out it is of central london. Can anyone share their experience or how they found these places! Please!

Honestly, i know london very well, and the area that Wigram is is honestly so much much better than Sketch, if we are talking about location. The actual accommodation details of the types of rooms they offer i’m not sure, but if you care about location and safety and being more central, transit times etc, Wigram is alottt better.
Reply 10
I'm attending the foundation course at the archway campus

Ok so I looked it up on the maps for you. And, honestly, I think it would be a nightmare except for sketch house and maybe cordwainers because these two are the closest. The rest are like 1 hour-ish by bus and I would personally hate it a lot. Specially because I tend to wake up late sometimes.
Reply 11
Original post by ktrisha
Ok so I looked it up on the maps for you. And, honestly, I think it would be a nightmare except for sketch house and maybe cordwainers because these two are the closest. The rest are like 1 hour-ish by bus and I would personally hate it a lot. Specially because I tend to wake up late sometimes.

Actually even Wigram is ok as it's 33 min by bus. If that suits you
Original post by RianaRahman
Honestly, i know london very well, and the area that Wigram is is honestly so much much better than Sketch, if we are talking about location. The actual accommodation details of the types of rooms they offer i’m not sure, but if you care about location and safety and being more central, transit times etc, Wigram is alottt better.

Ah okay, thanks for the info!
Original post by ktrisha
Actually even Wigram is ok as it's 33 min by bus. If that suits you

Yeah its between sketch or wigram, just debating these two
Reply 14
Yeah its between sketch or wigram, just debating these two

I'd say if you don't mind that extra bit of time it takes to reach, then go for Wigram.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending