The Student Room Group

Can you recommend a good movie you consider the best?

Check out 10 things I hate about you that’s my favroute
>Theory of everything (Stephen Hawking Biography)

>The man who knew infinity (Ramanujan Biography [famous mathematician])

>Inception: Christopher Nolan film, starring Di Caprio. It is very though invoking and mind bending.
Original post by TheSecretSayer

>Inception: Christopher Nolan film, starring Di Caprio. It is very though invoking and mind bending.

I hate both Inception and The Theory of Everything. :angry:

My favourite film is Fargo by the Coen Brothers! :biggrin:
Original post by jonathanemptage
Check out 10 things I hate about you that’s my favroute

*Favourite
Here are a few that I enjoyed to the point where I re-watched them at least three times: Black Swan (2010) Dir. Darren Aronofsky, American Psycho (2000) Dir. Mary Harron, Inglorious Basterds (2009) Dir. Quentin Tarantino, Scent of a Woman (1992) Dir. Martin Brest, Manchester by the Sea (2016) Dir. Kenneth Lonergan, Hereditary (2018) Dir. Ari Aster, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) Dir. Michel Gondry, A Time to Kill (1996) Dir. John Schumacher, Get Out (2017) Dir. Jordan Peele. Quite a basic list but all amazing in my opinion :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by TheSecretSayer

Inception is amazing, if you like that I would also recommend other Christopher Nolan movies like The Prestige or the Dark Night trilogy.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
*Favourite

yes
Original post by princessofia1

One? sooo many! depends on the genres, but for you I categorized the films:

Great films about racism:

The Green Book
Selma

great biographies:

Gandhi
The Theory of Everything (Steven Hawkins)
Lincoln
Malcolm X (with Denzel Washington)

great Tarantino films:

Inglorious Basterds
Django Unchained

great superhero/antihero films:

Deadpool
Deadpool 2
Batman The Dark Knight
Avengers Endgame

great crime films:

Goodfellas
The Godfather
The Godfather II
Departed
The Irishman

masterpieces/classics:

The Life of Pi
Casablanca
A Man For All Seasons
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by princessofia1

1. Harry Potter
2. Harry Potter
3. Harry Potter
4. Harry Potter
5. Harry Potter

Being serious now, lol, The Adjustment Bureau is really good. Also The Imitation Game (although this one is easy to get fed up with after watching it multiple times). Also you can get the DVD version of Cats the musical - not the Disney one, the actual West End production - and it's spectacular, I've watched it 100000000000000000000000000000000000+ times and I still love it so much
Mrs. Doubtfire. :teehee:
Russian Ark by Aleksandr Sokurov https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ark

This is a single shot masterpiece that had to be shot in a single day on a single roll of film... these constraints came from the fact that they were shooting in the Hermitage Museum which was only going to be closed for visitors on one day, and to do the whole thing with zero edits they needed to fit it into a single reel.

Whilst the film itself is hardly the best, the combination of the setting, the costume, and dialogue all elevate it. But when you consider the technical feat of shooting a full costume play in a real-time moving set around the greatest museum in the world... it starts to become something else.

And then... at the end, building on top of the sheer mastery of having pulled off this audacious feat, the camera goes outside - and risks everything because it was Winter and the lens could've frosted up.

It's truly audacious and masterly done.

But I'd also argue Kurosawa's interpretation of King Lear into the film Ran https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ran_(film) is incredible too. Shooting everything in 3 directions to manage perfect continuity between edit shots, but Ran also shows off Kurosawa's incredible use of weather within the film... and not fake rain, but the real stuff.

But if this is not what you're looking for: Legally Blonde is always a winner.
(edited 2 years ago)
This is my list

Mrs Doubt fire- comedy classic family film
Little Women- plenty of life lessons
PS I love you- romantic chick flick type movie
Tarzan- great kiddy film
Confessions of a Shopaholic- another chick flick film
Hairspray- a musical movie about small town America
Original post by Sabertooth
Mrs. Doubtfire. :teehee:

It was really one of my favorite films with Robin Williams in my teenage years. But my favorite one now is Good Will Hunting. That is one of these mind changing films I really like.

Quick Reply

Latest