The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield accommodation - Allen court

Which is nicer, Latimore house or Brightmore house? Preferably I’d like the most recently refurbished

Scroll to see replies

I lived in each before the refurbs but they were exactly the same so I'd assume that's still the case
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by alexschmalex
I lived in each before the refurbs but they were exactly the same so I'd assume that's still the case

How did you find it? I’ve heard Allen court is a bit quieter than Endcliffe/Ranmoor but that suits me fine tbh. Hope there’s still atleast some sociable feel to it though?
Original post by ellie_kxx
How did you find it? I’ve heard Allen court is a bit quieter than Endcliffe/Ranmoor but that suits me fine tbh. Hope there’s still atleast some sociable feel to it though?

There's definitely more happening at Endcliff/Ranmoor simply because there's way more students there, but there's still a decent amount of people in Allen Court. I preferred it because I was too lazy to be doing that long walk to uni every morning 😂
Reply 4
Original post by alexschmalex
There's definitely more happening at Endcliff/Ranmoor simply because there's way more students there, but there's still a decent amount of people in Allen Court. I preferred it because I was too lazy to be doing that long walk to uni every morning 😂

Haha fair enough 😂 I’m a “mature” student anyway (23) so don’t really wanna be living in party central, got that out of my system a few years ago!
Haha fair enough 😂 I’m a “mature” student anyway (23) so don’t really wanna be living in party central, got that out of my system a few years ago!

If you are 23 please stay in a 21+ flat! It's so annoying seeing 20 year olds in a normal flat
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
If you are 23 please stay in a 21+ flat! It's so annoying seeing 20 year olds in a normal flat

Why is it annoying lol? I’m not 60 years old. I know I said I got all the partying out my system but I still love to go out! I’m very social and outgoing and for arguments sake, I rounded it up - I’ll be 23 in December 😂plus everyone says 21+ flats are filled with extremely boring people. I wouldn’t fit in there either cause I want to live with social people
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Why is it annoying lol? I’m not 60 years old. I know I said I got all the partying out my system but I still love to go out! I’m very social and outgoing and for arguments sake, I rounded it up - I’ll be 23 in December 😂plus everyone says 21+ flats are filled with extremely boring people. I wouldn’t fit in there either cause I want to live with social people

Honestly don't quite understand what that person means as a 20 year old isn't even classed as a mature student... I guess if you are older it might make some people feel weird, as a lot of them are 18? But tbh most of us never noticed when someone was older than us anyway, there are people on my course who are 25 who I thought was the same age as me haha. Also if you are in Allen Court, there will still be some partying, just not as much, depending on who you are living with. I know plenty of people who lived in Allen Court in first year as it was nearer to uni, and they did have their fair share of parties.

I can't tell you which is nicer, but I do know they were refurbishing loads of flats in Allen Court in the summer of 2018, as someone I know was living there just before they started the renovations. I reckon if you want to live in uni accommodation, then Allen Court is probably better for a mature student than Endcliffe and Ranmoor for sure, I lived in Ranmoor, and besides the 30+ minute walk to uni, it was very noisy at night, not just in my flat, but just around the entire area. I currently am living in the city centre in private accommodation, and it is actually far quieter than Ranmoor was!
Reply 8
Original post by emduck
Honestly don't quite understand what that person means as a 20 year old isn't even classed as a mature student... I guess if you are older it might make some people feel weird, as a lot of them are 18? But tbh most of us never noticed when someone was older than us anyway, there are people on my course who are 25 who I thought was the same age as me haha. Also if you are in Allen Court, there will still be some partying, just not as much, depending on who you are living with. I know plenty of people who lived in Allen Court in first year as it was nearer to uni, and they did have their fair share of parties.

I can't tell you which is nicer, but I do know they were refurbishing loads of flats in Allen Court in the summer of 2018, as someone I know was living there just before they started the renovations. I reckon if you want to live in uni accommodation, then Allen Court is probably better for a mature student than Endcliffe and Ranmoor for sure, I lived in Ranmoor, and besides the 30+ minute walk to uni, it was very noisy at night, not just in my flat, but just around the entire area. I currently am living in the city centre in private accommodation, and it is actually far quieter than Ranmoor was!

Me either.. 18 and 20 year olds are indistinguishable in my opinion. Hopefully I don’t end up living with that anonymous person, I’d hate to cause them inconvenience simply for being born a few years prior 🤷🏼*♀️

I don’t care in the slightest about being a mature student within the course itself, this is common at university. It’s just when someone mentions it being weird or annoying for a 20+ year old being in halls, I feel like I should rethink it or something you know?!

Thanks for the info on the accommodation. I did choose allen court, cause it seemed more catered to what I wanted. Closer to uni, not constant drunken antics like some other areas but at the same time, still social enough that people aren’t boring and locked away in their rooms! (Hopefully not anyway :smile: )
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Me either.. 18 and 20 year olds are indistinguishable in my opinion. Hopefully I don’t end up living with that anonymous person, I’d hate to cause them inconvenience simply for being born a few years prior 🤷🏼*♀️

I don’t care in the slightest about being a mature student within the course itself, this is common at university. It’s just when someone mentions it being weird or annoying for a 20+ year old being in halls, I feel like I should rethink it or something you know?!

Thanks for the info on the accommodation. I did choose allen court, cause it seemed more catered to what I wanted. Closer to uni, not constant drunken antics like some other areas but at the same time, still social enough that people aren’t boring and locked away in their rooms! (Hopefully not anyway :smile: )

Hey! Could you share your experience living in Allen Court? I am currently looking at my options and prefer the proximity to the city centre.
Original post by emduck

Hi! I am looking at accommodations near the city centre. I am an international student so I am not able to gather much info about private accommodations. Some people I know do seem to have a prejudice against them. Could you share your experience with private accommodations and maybe suggest a few of them if possible?
Original post by AdiVik99
Hey! Could you share your experience living in Allen Court? I am currently looking at my options and prefer the proximity to the city centre.

Hi @AdiVik99

Recent graduate of the University of Sheffield here :smile: Whilst I didn't live in Allen Court personally, so won't be able to offer my experience, I'd like to share a few links that might be useful for you in making your decision about accommodation:
360 degree tours of city accommodation (including Allen Court)
Rents 2021-22
Sheffield Live: Accommodation (Wednesday 19 May 5-6pm) In this event, the Sheffield Accommodation team will be on hand to run through accommodation options and to answer any questions.

Also you might be able to find some current students who have experience of living in Allen Court on our Chat to Us page. You can search for 'Accommodation' in the 'Key Topics' dropdown. @University of Sheffield Students may also be able to provide some more info/experiences of living in Allen Court!

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask any more questions.

- Danielle :smile:
BA English and History 2019
MA Historical Research 2020
Reply 12
Hi! I am looking at accommodations near the city centre. I am an international student so I am not able to gather much info about private accommodations. Some people I know do seem to have a prejudice against them. Could you share your experience with private accommodations and maybe suggest a few of them if possible?

Hi! I lived in Sheffield 3 last year and loved it, and I know that quite a lot of international students live there too. I have tenancies that I need to fill which could be very helpful for you! I have a studio flat (£159/w 44 weeks) and an en suite room with a shared kitchen (£119/w) let me know!!
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi @AdiVik99

Recent graduate of the University of Sheffield here :smile: Whilst I didn't live in Allen Court personally, so won't be able to offer my experience, I'd like to share a few links that might be useful for you in making your decision about accommodation:
360 degree tours of city accommodation (including Allen Court)
Rents 2021-22
Sheffield Live: Accommodation (Wednesday 19 May 5-6pm) In this event, the Sheffield Accommodation team will be on hand to run through accommodation options and to answer any questions.

Also you might be able to find some current students who have experience of living in Allen Court on our Chat to Us page. You can search for 'Accommodation' in the 'Key Topics' dropdown. @University of Sheffield Students may also be able to provide some more info/experiences of living in Allen Court!

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask any more questions.

- Danielle :smile:
BA English and History 2019
MA Historical Research 2020

Hi! Thanks a lot for your reply! I'll definitely check out your suggestions.
Original post by _byr
Hi! I lived in Sheffield 3 last year and loved it, and I know that quite a lot of international students live there too. I have tenancies that I need to fill which could be very helpful for you! I have a studio flat (£159/w 44 weeks) and an en suite room with a shared kitchen (£119/w) let me know!!

Hi! Thanks for replying. I'll check it out and get back to you!

Hey! I lived in Allen Court in my first and second year at University. I personally really liked it there as it was only a 2/3 minute walk to the Department of Music (building next to the Diamond) - so very ideal if you're not particularly a morning person haha!

Both Latimore and Brightmore buildings have now been fully renovated and everything is very clean and modern looking. The flats are 6 ensuite bedrooms with a shared kitchen all with laminate flooring so easy cleaning! The bedrooms are decently sized with a fairly big window. The kitchens have plenty of storage, a smart TV, 2 sofas and a dining table and chairs. The common room at Allen Court is possibly one of the best bits - ping pong, snooker, karaoke, a huge kitchen if you want to cook for more people, a cinema room, and a games room with consoles. You'll also find the 'residence life' office down there - great place to go to if you need support with anything at all. Also reception, flat post-boxes and the amazon lockers.

Sorry, that's a lot of information I have thrown at you there! Do let me know if you have any other questions about Allen Court :smile:

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus
Reply 16
Hi! Thanks for replying. I'll check it out and get back to you!

Hey! Did you manage to look?
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey! I lived in Allen Court in my first and second year at University. I personally really liked it there as it was only a 2/3 minute walk to the Department of Music (building next to the Diamond) - so very ideal if you're not particularly a morning person haha!

Both Latimore and Brightmore buildings have now been fully renovated and everything is very clean and modern looking. The flats are 6 ensuite bedrooms with a shared kitchen all with laminate flooring so easy cleaning! The bedrooms are decently sized with a fairly big window. The kitchens have plenty of storage, a smart TV, 2 sofas and a dining table and chairs. The common room at Allen Court is possibly one of the best bits - ping pong, snooker, karaoke, a huge kitchen if you want to cook for more people, a cinema room, and a games room with consoles. You'll also find the 'residence life' office down there - great place to go to if you need support with anything at all. Also reception, flat post-boxes and the amazon lockers.

Sorry, that's a lot of information I have thrown at you there! Do let me know if you have any other questions about Allen Court :smile:

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus

Hi! Thanks for the information! What would you recommend between Allen Court and Ranmoor (Ravenstone Apartments)? Allen court sure is on the expensive side. I am going to be part of the management school if that helps. If Ranmoor, is it manageable to commute from Ranmoor to the city centre and back on a regular basis in terms of distance and money? I am sorry if I am asking a lot of confusing questions..
Original post by _byr
Hey! Did you manage to look?

Hi! I think I am currently inclining towards the university accommodations!
Hi! Thanks for the information! What would you recommend between Allen Court and Ranmoor (Ravenstone Apartments)? Allen court sure is on the expensive side. I am going to be part of the management school if that helps. If Ranmoor, is it manageable to commute from Ranmoor to the city centre and back on a regular basis in terms of distance and money? I am sorry if I am asking a lot of confusing questions..

Hey!

Unfortunately I don't know much about Allen Court so I will let Emily help you out a bit more with that side, but I stayed in Ranmoor for my first year and I found the commute absolutely fine. To get to the the students union, which is very near to the majority of uni buildings is about a 30 min walk from Ranmoor, I quite enjoyed my walk on a morning to uni and usually you can find friends to walk with that are on your course which makes it even better :smile: The Management school is only about a 20 minute walk from Ranmoor, probably one of the closest buildings to Ranmoor and Endcliffe! If you don't fancy walking you can get the 120 bus which is a really handy bus service, it's £1 a single with your ucard and runs past the hallamshire hospital, students union, down west street and into sheffield city centre. It also goes to the train station. It runs both ways so you can get the same bus back from any of these places too. The bus however doesn't pass near to the management school, you could take it to the hospital or students union and it would be probably a 10 min walk from either of these if you didn't want to walk the full way! Although I would say the management school isn't a very far walk which is handy:smile:

Hope this helps you out, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending