The Student Room Group

Geography Question Help Please! (A-level AQA)

'Desertification trends are entirely a product of human-induced climate change as opposed to naturally occurring phenomena.' To what extent do you agree with this view? [20 marks]

I was under the impression human activities such as overgrazing, population pressure, overcultivation etc. were main causes of desertification but the question doesn't seem to lead towards this so not entirely sure where to go with my argument ?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by annonymous2394
'Desertification trends are entirely a product of human-induced climate change as opposed to naturally occurring phenomena.' To what extent do you agree with this view? [20 marks]

I was under the impression human activities such as overgrazing, population pressure, overcultivation etc. were main causes of desertification but the question doesn't seem to lead towards this so not entirely sure where to go with my argument ?
Thanks

You could take a few different stances within this question, but I would agree with you and make the argument that especially modern desertification is of anthropogenic origin. I would just make a small paragraph about a counter argument detailing the natural causes and origins of desertification, though this would not be the main argument and would not spend too much time on this part of the question.
Original post by Ðeggs
You could take a few different stances within this question, but I would agree with you and make the argument that especially modern desertification is of anthropogenic origin. I would just make a small paragraph about a counter argument detailing the natural causes and origins of desertification, though this would not be the main argument and would not spend too much time on this part of the question.

Okay thank you very much - would factors such as overgrazing/overcultivation etc actually come under 'human-induced climate change' or would this be a separate point?
Reply 3
Original post by annonymous2394
Okay thank you very much - would factors such as overgrazing/overcultivation etc actually come under 'human-induced climate change' or would this be a separate point?

I would argue that these factors are under human-induced climate as it is humans, farmers, shepherds and nomadic peoples that mismanage their animals and let them overgraze which consequently leads to soil degradation and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending