biology, chemistry and psychology a levels

Watch
justhelpm789
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi! i’m doing bio, chem and pysch for a levels and wanted to ask if anyone has any tips, revision sites/ techniques, past paper sites, youtubers or just anything that will help me please do let me know!

tips can also include things like time management or anything that will make a levels more bearable since i know how hard all a levels are. thank you so much in advance!! <3
Squiggles1238
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello! Ive been revising for my AS biology “mini assessment” for next week and the best thing i can suggest is making flashcards and doing as many past paper questions as you can do
Make a revision timetable to cope with the workload
justhelpm789
Rep:
?
(Original post by Squiggles1238)
Hello! Ive been revising for my AS biology “mini assessment” for next week and the best thing i can suggest is making flashcards and doing as many past paper questions as you can do
Make a revision timetable to cope with the workload
thank you so much!! good luck, you’re going to do amazing!!
cory.de.ath
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I can't speak for biology, but I take psychology and chemistry a-levels and I'm working at an A and B in them respectively, so hopefully some of my suggestions can be of at least some use to you!

- Ask teachers for past papers and topic specific questions for you to use as revision. They have full access to the official exam board resources (such as through examPro) and will undoubtedly be happy to give you revision materials. This is especially useful if you know you have an end-of-topic test coming up; I recently had a psychopathology assessment and I asked my brilliant psychology teacher for extra revision materials which she was more than happy to send over. It's really useful to get a feel for the types of questions they're going to ask you and DEFINITELY WORTH IT when it comes to explanations in chemistry, as that's where marks are most easily lost.

- I have never found flashcards to be much use myself, and I'd reconsider whether the time and effort spent making them is actually going to prove beneficial for you. While some people may find them really useful, we all learn best through different methods.

- I also find that discussing different topics with your classmates can actually be really useful when revising as part of a group. Before our last assessment, one of my best friends Maddie and I just sat there trying to remember as much as we could about different topics and expanding upon what each one of us could remember (very competitively... ). That actually proved to be a lifesaver, as some of that information came up in that assessment. Though she did score one mark more than me :mad: give it a go with your mates!

- Similarly, we had a chemistry assessment the other day and we all just sat there for a couple hours giving one another questions on the white board in the classroom, and discussing how we'd solve them. (URGENT WARNING: Le Chatelier's principle is a nightmare ). It's a great way of building upon your understanding of the harder topics that will definitely come along.

- Your exam board's specification is your best friend. Use it to your advantage by going through each chapter and highlighting each individual topic when you're confident in your understanding.

- Similarly, when you do use past papers and exam-style questions to revise, make sure you MARK THEM and UNDERSTAND THE MARK SCHEME By that I mean - if for example you get a question wrong - make sure you understand why you dropped a mark and exactly what you need to do in a similar question to get that mark.

I'm just rambling at this point - I hope everything works out for you!
justhelpm789
Rep:
?
(Original post by cory.de.ath)
I can't speak for biology, but I take psychology and chemistry a-levels and I'm working at an A and B in them respectively, so hopefully some of my suggestions can be of at least some use to you!

- Ask teachers for past papers and topic specific questions for you to use as revision. They have full access to the official exam board resources (such as through examPro) and will undoubtedly be happy to give you revision materials. This is especially useful if you know you have an end-of-topic test coming up; I recently had a psychopathology assessment and I asked my brilliant psychology teacher for extra revision materials which she was more than happy to send over. It's really useful to get a feel for the types of questions they're going to ask you and DEFINITELY WORTH IT when it comes to explanations in chemistry, as that's where marks are most easily lost.

- I have never found flashcards to be much use myself, and I'd reconsider whether the time and effort spent making them is actually going to prove beneficial for you. While some people may find them really useful, we all learn best through different methods.

- I also find that discussing different topics with your classmates can actually be really useful when revising as part of a group. Before our last assessment, one of my best friends Maddie and I just sat there trying to remember as much as we could about different topics and expanding upon what each one of us could remember (very competitively... ). That actually proved to be a lifesaver, as some of that information came up in that assessment. Though she did score one mark more than me :mad: give it a go with your mates!

- Similarly, we had a chemistry assessment the other day and we all just sat there for a couple hours giving one another questions on the white board in the classroom, and discussing how we'd solve them. (URGENT WARNING: Le Chatelier's principle is a nightmare ). It's a great way of building upon your understanding of the harder topics that will definitely come along.

- Your exam board's specification is your best friend. Use it to your advantage by going through each chapter and highlighting each individual topic when you're confident in your understanding.

- Similarly, when you do use past papers and exam-style questions to revise, make sure you MARK THEM and UNDERSTAND THE MARK SCHEME By that I mean - if for example you get a question wrong - make sure you understand why you dropped a mark and exactly what you need to do in a similar question to get that mark.

I'm just rambling at this point - I hope everything works out for you!
ahhhhh THANK YOU SO SO MUCH <33 you’re rambling is much appreciated, thank you!! yeah i’m already imagining how competitive these classes are going to be 😭 these tips are all so helpful and will definitely come in handy so i’m extremely grateful. sending all my best wishes, hope you get the best grades!!
chargcses
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I do all 3 and am in Y13. I would recommend for Psychology (I do AQA so we have 16 markers) practice writing as many 16 markers as possible and have your teachers mark them as it will help you improve technique and remember the content. To help with writing them I try to use multiple resources (Text books, revision guides, teachers notes, online notes and example essays) this helps you to be able to pick and choose what points you will remember and be best able to explain. For a textbook the green hair and pink hair books are useful. I would say its best to actually write them rather than just plan them as you can learn how to maximise your marks.

For biology I recommend the youtube channel BioRach - she is amazing at explaining content in a easy to understand way. I also just bought some snaprevise revision cards which have been useful in checking I remember all of the spec and testing myself. For exam questions Physics and Maths tutor is really useful. Also the snaprevise youtube channel has old live streams on 'tricky topics' which are helpful.

For chemistry the youtube channel Allery chemistry is the absolute best - he makes exam board specific revision videos for every topic covering everything you need to know as well as generic whiteboard tutorials which are helpful in learning how to answer questions.

These are the things I wish I'd have known about in year 12 - hope this helps.
Good luck!
SagalTT3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by justhelpm789)
hi! i’m doing bio, chem and pysch for a levels and wanted to ask if anyone has any tips, revision sites/ techniques, past paper sites, youtubers or just anything that will help me please do let me know!

tips can also include things like time management or anything that will make a levels more bearable since i know how hard all a levels are. thank you so much in advance!! <3
Hey literally did all of those subjects and math's so feel free to drop me a PM I'm a medical student now so trust me I know how crazy it all feels can't even imagine all of this with the pandemic so shoot me a PM and I'll definitely help you long term!
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
omgg i do those subjects rn alongside AS EPQ

my chem board is OCR, bio and psych board is AQA

LET ME TELL YOU NOW, STAY ONTOP OF YOUR WORK AND HW!!!!! its MAY and i have done ZERO REVISION, yes i am STRESSED lool i swear i regret procastinating.

IF YOU HAVE A PROCASTINATION PROBLEM, SORT IT OUT NOW!!!

idk what method works for you but let me tel you what the smart people in my class do lol
so before the lesson, they pre read from the text book (your school should give you one, if not then just watch a yt vid) and make flashcards/notes. then they come to class, do the lesson ask questions. They do any hw in their free periods. They do whatever at first break, go to the library and do work at second break. After they understand the content, EXAM QUESTION EXAM QUESTIONS EXAM QUESTIONS!!!! Once they do a fair amount, they come back to the topic like every 2 weeks and do more exam questions to keep it in their brain.

now i was dumb and wanted to do revision in order, yeah look where i am now i nearly finished year 1 content so that was STUPID of me. Idek where to start with revision now since i have like 200+ topics to revise and my mocks are in late June and i send that off to uni hahahahahahahahahah

if you feel yourself slipping, DEDICATE A WEEKEND TO SORTING YOUR LIFE OUT!

I would have a planner to write down any hw any stuff like that. Make sure your at home folders for notes and stuff are already prepped. If i were you, id write on each divider for each unit every topic that comes up so you can tick them off.

GET HELP WHEN YOU NEED IT!!!!

in terms of how long it should take you to revise, i cant say since everyone works at a diff pace ( im SLOW ) and the difficulty of the wokr needs to be taken into consideration but as long as you stay ontop of your work you'll be gucci.

let me share some youtubers ioff the top of my head (for my exam boards) :

psych (AQA) - theres good websites like psychboost (has a yt as well) or simplypsychology

chem (OCR) - allery chemistry, machemguy

bio (AQA) - ms estruch, A level biology help

i also used to use snaprevise which is for a lot more exam boards but it explains stuff well

moral of the story, keep ontop of your work and you're good. Idk what to say if you dont and end up like me lol. make friends when you can, apply for work experience or like go to webinars especially if you dk what you wanna do after sixth form (note down all the dates and times on a calendar like google calendar or something)
xmpj.Tx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
One thing I wish I’d done since the start of the course is that , instead of making notes in class I literally just ask my teacher if I can get a laptop out and make quizlet flash cards as I go along .
The pros of this are that you’re actively condensing large amounts of information into smaller, more memorable pieces (as I went along - we had a lesson per specification subheading/ point- I would make flash cards directly from the textbook and listened to my teacher for any pieces I wouldn’t understand), laying it out into the question + answer format while simultaneously learning the information , I’ve found helps me remember it more and it isn’t as overbearing since I may be making loads of flash cards for one concept but at least there’s a manageable amount of info on each one. Also you’re making revision resources you won’t have to make as exams near, skipping the whole notes section of the learning to notes to flash cards routine that I personally find pointless.
Can’t speak for chem as my department made us course booklets with everything we didn’t need to know from the exam textbooks omitted. Currently predicted A’s in bio and chem - though I’m more likely to get B’s as I haven’t been taking my own advice for a while and have proper slacked with exams .

If you find yourself in a global pandemic in your last year of college, lose all motivation and all else fails right as you’re about to take your final exams .... cramming the relevant topic summaries from Physics and Maths tutor the day before has yet to fail me ))) but then again .. we’ll see on the 10th of August.

For reference I do some really obscure specs.
Edexcel A for Bio
And OCR B for chem.

Don’t think it should matter tho.

But yeah revision wise I would say , the tips above and NOT LEARNING STUFF THE NIGHT BEFORE AN EXAM . Basically just keep on top of stuff because honestly catching up with work at A Level is a miracle if even. Once two lessons have passed you may asw kiss that topic subheading goodbye.
Good luck!!
justhelpm789
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by chargcses)
Hi, I do all 3 and am in Y13. I would recommend for Psychology (I do AQA so we have 16 markers) practice writing as many 16 markers as possible and have your teachers mark them as it will help you improve technique and remember the content. To help with writing them I try to use multiple resources (Text books, revision guides, teachers notes, online notes and example essays) this helps you to be able to pick and choose what points you will remember and be best able to explain. For a textbook the green hair and pink hair books are useful. I would say its best to actually write them rather than just plan them as you can learn how to maximise your marks.

For biology I recommend the youtube channel BioRach - she is amazing at explaining content in a easy to understand way. I also just bought some snaprevise revision cards which have been useful in checking I remember all of the spec and testing myself. For exam questions Physics and Maths tutor is really useful. Also the snaprevise youtube channel has old live streams on 'tricky topics' which are helpful.

For chemistry the youtube channel Allery chemistry is the absolute best - he makes exam board specific revision videos for every topic covering everything you need to know as well as generic whiteboard tutorials which are helpful in learning how to answer questions.

These are the things I wish I'd have known about in year 12 - hope this helps.
Good luck!
(Original post by SagalTT3)
Hey literally did all of those subjects and math's so feel free to drop me a PM I'm a medical student now so trust me I know how crazy it all feels can't even imagine all of this with the pandemic so shoot me a PM and I'll definitely help you long term!
(Original post by xmpj.Tx)
One thing I wish I’d done since the start of the course is that , instead of making notes in class I literally just ask my teacher if I can get a laptop out and make quizlet flash cards as I go along .
The pros of this are that you’re actively condensing large amounts of information into smaller, more memorable pieces (as I went along - we had a lesson per specification subheading/ point- I would make flash cards directly from the textbook and listened to my teacher for any pieces I wouldn’t understand), laying it out into the question + answer format while simultaneously learning the information , I’ve found helps me remember it more and it isn’t as overbearing since I may be making loads of flash cards for one concept but at least there’s a manageable amount of info on each one. Also you’re making revision resources you won’t have to make as exams near, skipping the whole notes section of the learning to notes to flash cards routine that I personally find pointless.
Can’t speak for chem as my department made us course booklets with everything we didn’t need to know from the exam textbooks omitted. Currently predicted A’s in bio and chem - though I’m more likely to get B’s as I haven’t been taking my own advice for a while and have proper slacked with exams .

If you find yourself in a global pandemic in your last year of college, lose all motivation and all else fails right as you’re about to take your final exams .... cramming the relevant topic summaries from Physics and Maths tutor the day before has yet to fail me ))) but then again .. we’ll see on the 10th of August.

For reference I do some really obscure specs.
Edexcel A for Bio
And OCR B for chem.

Don’t think it should matter tho.

But yeah revision wise I would say , the tips above and NOT LEARNING STUFF THE NIGHT BEFORE AN EXAM . Basically just keep on top of stuff because honestly catching up with work at A Level is a miracle if even. Once two lessons have passed you may asw kiss that topic subheading goodbye.
Good luck!!
omg, thank you so so much! your advice means so much honestly, i’ve been stressing it sm but i feel a little more confident recently. thank you thank you, i wish you all the best in your future! good luck to all of you too <3
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
uh since we’re all here whoever is in year 13 or has been in my shoes and has caught up with 9 months worth of revision SOMEHOW, feel free to pm me or share on here the secret😭😭😭i need to catch up but dk where to start so yes yes please share
justhelpm789
Rep:
?
(Original post by sumayaaa)
omgg i do those subjects rn alongside AS EPQ

my chem board is OCR, bio and psych board is AQA

LET ME TELL YOU NOW, STAY ONTOP OF YOUR WORK AND HW!!!!! its MAY and i have done ZERO REVISION, yes i am STRESSED lool i swear i regret procastinating.

IF YOU HAVE A PROCASTINATION PROBLEM, SORT IT OUT NOW!!!

idk what method works for you but let me tel you what the smart people in my class do lol
so before the lesson, they pre read from the text book (your school should give you one, if not then just watch a yt vid) and make flashcards/notes. then they come to class, do the lesson ask questions. They do any hw in their free periods. They do whatever at first break, go to the library and do work at second break. After they understand the content, EXAM QUESTION EXAM QUESTIONS EXAM QUESTIONS!!!! Once they do a fair amount, they come back to the topic like every 2 weeks and do more exam questions to keep it in their brain.

now i was dumb and wanted to do revision in order, yeah look where i am now i nearly finished year 1 content so that was STUPID of me. Idek where to start with revision now since i have like 200+ topics to revise and my mocks are in late June and i send that off to uni hahahahahahahahahah

if you feel yourself slipping, DEDICATE A WEEKEND TO SORTING YOUR LIFE OUT!

I would have a planner to write down any hw any stuff like that. Make sure your at home folders for notes and stuff are already prepped. If i were you, id write on each divider for each unit every topic that comes up so you can tick them off.

GET HELP WHEN YOU NEED IT!!!!

in terms of how long it should take you to revise, i cant say since everyone works at a diff pace ( im SLOW ) and the difficulty of the wokr needs to be taken into consideration but as long as you stay ontop of your work you'll be gucci.

let me share some youtubers ioff the top of my head (for my exam boards) :

psych (AQA) - theres good websites like psychboost (has a yt as well) or simplypsychology

chem (OCR) - allery chemistry, machemguy

bio (AQA) - ms estruch, A level biology help

i also used to use snaprevise which is for a lot more exam boards but it explains stuff well

moral of the story, keep ontop of your work and you're good. Idk what to say if you dont and end up like me lol. make friends when you can, apply for work experience or like go to webinars especially if you dk what you wanna do after sixth form (note down all the dates and times on a calendar like google calendar or something)
KSUDJSJS I SAW U ON ANOTHER POST BUT SIS YOU GOT THIS, DON’T EVEN STRESS IT. i appreciate all of this advice and i literally wanna do epq as well...twins x

thank you sm honestly, it means so so much. you got this, stay positive and be kind to yourself! may Allāh grant you success in your future and good luck <33
justhelpm789
Rep:
?
uh since we’re all here whoever is in year 13 or has been in my shoes and has caught up with 9 months worth of revision SOMEHOW, feel free to pm me or share on here the secret😭😭😭i need to catch up but dk where to start so yes yes please share
maybe ask @SagalTT3 !! they did reply to this and are currently studying medicine 😭😭
se2003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

For Biology and Chemistry I highly recommend using Physics and Maths Tutor website. They have videos, flashcards, notes, exam style questions and past papers and cover a range of exam boards. As a year 13 student these have helped me so much this year as they help for revision and help fill in knowledge gaps.
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
KSUDJSJS I SAW U ON ANOTHER POST BUT SIS YOU GOT THIS, DON’T EVEN STRESS IT. i appreciate all of this advice and i literally wanna do epq as well...twins x

thank you sm honestly, it means so so much. you got this, stay positive and be kind to yourself! may Allāh grant you success in your future and good luck <33
CANT LIE i saw you follow me so i was like oop let me see what this person posted and what they’re about shcisbdjwhdhhev

EPQ IS A DRAG DO YOUR WORK STAY ONTOP KEEP A JOURNAL AND EVERYTHING ALLAH THAT SUBJECT I HATE IT WITH MY SOUL luckily it’s due on the 17th but have i even edited my essay from january😃itll get done somehow it always done but don’t be afraid to message with help for it like idm sending you my production log or something in the future (depending what grade i get lol but my teachers bad so she’ll probably mark me higher than i deserve) so you can see it. PICK A TOPIC YOU ACTUALLY LIKE

AMEEN AMEEN THANK YOU YOU TOO INSHALLAH
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
maybe ask @SagalTT3 !! they did reply to this and are currently studying medicine 😭😭
miss sagal where you at lool

expect a pm from me😭
justhelpm789
Rep:
?
(Original post by se2003)
For Biology and Chemistry I highly recommend using Physics and Maths Tutor website. They have videos, flashcards, notes, exam style questions and past papers and cover a range of exam boards. As a year 13 student these have helped me so much this year as they help for revision and help fill in knowledge gaps.
yeah i’ve heard that website is extremely useful! thank you sm and good luck in year 13!
justhelpm789
Rep:
?
miss sagal where you at lool

expect a pm from me😭
loool thats what i did too 😭😭
se2003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yeah i’ve heard that website is extremely useful! thank you sm and good luck in year 13!
Thank you, I've nearly finished and I have really enjoyed the biology and chemistry course!!!!
justhelpm789
Rep:
?
CANT LIE i saw you follow me so i was like oop let me see what this person posted and what they’re about shcisbdjwhdhhev

EPQ IS A DRAG DO YOUR WORK STAY ONTOP KEEP A JOURNAL AND EVERYTHING ALLAH THAT SUBJECT I HATE IT WITH MY SOUL luckily it’s due on the 17th but have i even edited my essay from january😃itll get done somehow it always done but don’t be afraid to message with help for it like idm sending you my production log or something in the future (depending what grade i get lol but my teachers bad so she’ll probably mark me higher than i deserve) so you can see it. PICK A TOPIC YOU ACTUALLY LIKE

AMEEN AMEEN THANK YOU YOU TOO INSHALLAH
AHAHA i saw u speaking facts and was like yh lemme follow. ms gurl- go do ur work 🥲🥲🥲 AHH LOVE U ALREADY THANK U!! I’LL DEFINITELY NEED IT JXSJSH for epq, you can literally do it abt anything right? at least u dont have a teacher who hates you

ameen, ameen <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads