The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Psychology BSc at King's College London

I applied to King's but didn't meet their GCSE requirements (they require a 6 in GCSE maths and I got a 5), do you think they'll still consider me?
Most likely not. GCSE requirements are one of the things universities are very inflexible over. Additionally for this particular requirement for this particular subject area, it is probably not an arbitrary requirement; there is a lot of statistics work in a psychology degree and they need to know that incoming students will have enough quantitative and mathematical skills to cope with that, hence the requirement for a 6. It's quite likely that in their experience students admitted with less than that have struggled a lot on the course and potentially failed or dropped out at higher rates than those with grades of 6 or above in GCSE Maths, so they require students to have above that to make sure the ones they do take on the course can do well on it.

However if you are planning to retake that GCSE and have listed it as something you are going to be retaking this year they will probably consider you with a conditional offer of getting a 6 in GCSE Maths retake along with whatever A-level conditions they add.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Most likely not. GCSE requirements are one of the things universities are very inflexible over. Additionally for this particular requirement for this particular subject area, it is probably not an arbitrary requirement; there is a lot of statistics work in a psychology degree and they need to know that incoming students will have enough quantitative and mathematical skills to cope with that, hence the requirement for a 6. It's quite likely that in their experience students admitted with less than that have struggled a lot on the course and potentially failed or dropped out at higher rates than those with grades of 6 or above in GCSE Maths, so they require students to have above that to make sure the ones they do take on the course can do well on it.

However if you are planning to retake that GCSE and have listed it as something you are going to be retaking this year they will probably consider you with a conditional offer of getting a 6 in GCSE Maths retake along with whatever A-level conditions they add.

Update: I ended up getting a conditional offer and I've made it my firm choice! :smile:
Original post by Alia Kurdi
Update: I ended up getting a conditional offer and I've made it my firm choice! :smile:

Congratulations :smile: Does the conditional offer specify any GCSE grades, or is it just based on your A-levels? It's unusual for unis to overlook GCSE requirements in that way so they must've been quite impressed with the rest of your application if only based on your A-levels!
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Congratulations :smile: Does the conditional offer specify any GCSE grades, or is it just based on your A-levels? It's unusual for unis to overlook GCSE requirements in that way so they must've been quite impressed with the rest of your application if only based on your A-levels!

Thank you! They only require AAB A-Level grades from me! I was very shocked myself. I did put a lot of effort towards my personal statement and apparently I had good references - I guess they saved me!
Thank you! They only require AAB A-Level grades from me! I was very shocked myself. I did put a lot of effort towards my personal statement and apparently I had good references - I guess they saved me!

i have the same issue with having a 5 in maths , what type of things did you include in your personal statement ? ( im in year 12 btw)
Reply 6
Original post by claus666999
i have the same issue with having a 5 in maths , what type of things did you include in your personal statement ? ( im in year 12 btw)

I read The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat (cliché), The Psychotic Left, Opening Skinner's Box. I volunteered at an orphanage in the Middle East where I was able to witness the effects of institutionalisation (a rare opportunity, but was fascinating: children there had abnormally developed - you can link this to the study of Romanian orphans). I did a lot of extra reading into sub-disciplines of psychology that I found particularly interesting (i.e. neurodevelopment). I completed a MOOC, 'Introduction to Clinical Psychology'. I volunteered at a youth club for disabled teens where I was able to witness the effects of and learn how to help teenagers with disorders such as Autism, Schizophrenia, ADHD etc. I created my own charity, Fresh Start, whereby I provided basic hygiene products to food banks across South East England, and as part of supporting the initiative I completed research and conducted my own studies to highlight the effect of hygiene poverty on mental health. I mentioned that I played piano and was the goal keeper for my school's lacrosse team, however, I made sure to use these assets to talk about what they taught me: That commitment is the key to success, how to time manage etc.
I was lucky enough to have had this much to put into my personal statement - I don't think I would of gotten an offer if it weren't for that. You've really got to blow your own trumpet here. Technically, you could put anything in there, but as long as you link it back to what it meant and how it links to psychology/academic skill, it will be relevant.
I read The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat (cliché), The Psychotic Left, Opening Skinner's Box. I volunteered at an orphanage in the Middle East where I was able to witness the effects of institutionalisation (a rare opportunity, but was fascinating: children there had abnormally developed - you can link this to the study of Romanian orphans). I did a lot of extra reading into sub-disciplines of psychology that I found particularly interesting (i.e. neurodevelopment). I completed a MOOC, 'Introduction to Clinical Psychology'. I volunteered at a youth club for disabled teens where I was able to witness the effects of and learn how to help teenagers with disorders such as Autism, Schizophrenia, ADHD etc. I created my own charity, Fresh Start, whereby I provided basic hygiene products to food banks across South East England, and as part of supporting the initiative I completed research and conducted my own studies to highlight the effect of hygiene poverty on mental health. I mentioned that I played piano and was the goal keeper for my school's lacrosse team, however, I made sure to use these assets to talk about what they taught me: That commitment is the key to success, how to time manage etc.
I was lucky enough to have had this much to put into my personal statement - I don't think I would of gotten an offer if it weren't for that. You've really got to blow your own trumpet here. Technically, you could put anything in there, but as long as you link it back to what it meant and how it links to psychology/academic skill, it will be relevant.

Truly amazing and i'm astonished. What were your gcse results also ? Where do you reccommend websites and places i can apply for volunteering also ? What is an MOOC ? ( i'm asking so many questions and im sorry if it is intrusive but im just very impressed with the amount of extra curricular that you did ) I got a 5 in maths and would really love to do psychology whilst having gcses which really fluctuate from 9-9 in science towards a 5 in maths
Reply 8
wow im in the exact same position! what tips do you have for the personal statement? also did u have to email them or call them up before applying saying you got a 5 instead of 6, or did you just apply? any advice would be really useful!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest