The Student Room Group

Lying on a Job application?

So I really can't find a part time job for the life of me. I've been searching for nearly 2 years and still haven't gotten anywhere. Most places reject me on the spot because they want experience. The jobs that don't require experience are mainly warehouse jobs BUT the only problem is most of them are full time 40 hour contract jobs. I came across a 20 hour part time shift at a Home Bargains right next to me and it says the minimum criteria is:
-Experience of cash handling and working in a retail environment
-Experience of manual handling and stock replenishment
This is the same for most jobs in the retail sector and I'm starting to think maybe I should just lie about having experience? Would that even work or would they ask for previous employee references? How are there 16 year olds straight out of high school easily getting jobs? I'm in university and can't find a single one despite being thousands of pounds in debt!? I feel like lying is the only way i can get a job these days especially with the increased competition for basic entry level jobs.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes they will ask for previous employee references.
Most retail jobs will say previous experience is desirable but not essential.
Original post by GabiAbi84
Yes they will ask for previous employee references.
Most retail jobs will say previous experience is desirable but not essential

I still always get rejected:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by SongBird2020
So I really can't find a part time job for the life of me. I've been searching for nearly 2 years and still haven't gotten anywhere. Most places reject me on the spot because they want experience. The jobs that don't require experience are mainly warehouse jobs BUT the only problem is most of them are full time 40 hour contract jobs. I came across a 20 hour part time shift at a Home Bargains right next to me and it says the minimum criteria is:
This is the same for most jobs in the retail sector and I'm starting to think maybe I should just lie about having experience? Would that even work or would they ask for previous employee references? How are there 16 year olds straight out of high school easily getting jobs? I'm in university and can't find a single one despite being thousands of pounds in debt!? I feel like lying is the only way i can get a job these days especially with the increased competition for basic entry level jobs.

Have you tried McDonalds?

https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/
Reply 4
Are you handing your CV in or just filling out an application? It might be worth taking a look at your CV and tweaking it to fit the job requirements :smile:
Original post by Kerzen
Have you tried McDonalds?

https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/

Yes I have tried McDonald's and believe it or not I got rejected....I went through 3 interviews and got rejected on the final stage. I'm a really nervous, shy and awkward person so that's probably why. Everyone says McDonald's hires anyone but its definitely not true, they still have their own job requirements where you have to be a "people" person.
Original post by jessrb1
Are you handing your CV in or just filling out an application? It might be worth taking a look at your CV and tweaking it to fit the job requirements :smile:

I've been filling out applications and my inbox is just full of rejections from different companies. If i go to hand it in, or call them they just tell me to apply online. I've had my CV looked at by professionals and there's only so far you can go when I haven't had a proper job yet. I've certainly done volunteering but even that's not enough.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Yes I have tried McDonald's and believe it or not I got rejected....I went through 3 interviews and got rejected on the final stage. I'm a really nervous, shy and awkward person so that's probably why. Everyone says McDonald's hires anyone but its definitely not true, they still have their own job requirements where you have to be a "people" person.

Don’t worry, I’ve been rejected from McDonald’s too if that makes you feel any better haha. I’m also nervous and shy and have managed to find customer service jobs where I actually enjoyed it and didn’t need experience. I wouldn’t advise you to lie but rather, tell them how you’re a hard worker/good with cash handling or anything that would link with the job. Some places do prefer experience but it’s definitely not essential. :smile:
Original post by jessrb1
Don’t worry, I’ve been rejected from McDonald’s too if that makes you feel any better haha. I’m also nervous and shy and have managed to find customer service jobs where I actually enjoyed it and didn’t need experience. I wouldn’t advise you to lie but rather, tell them how you’re a hard worker/good with cash handling or anything that would link with the job. Some places do prefer experience but it’s definitely not essential. :smile:

May I ask where exactly where these customer service jobs that didn't require any experience? Because I've looked everywhere and can't find any, especially ones that do part time hours? Getting a job is the only way to get rid of the shyness and that's what I'm trying to do like you but nobody will give me a chance:frown:
Reply 9
May I ask where exactly where these customer service jobs that didn't require any experience? Because I've looked everywhere and can't find any, especially ones that do part time hours? Getting a job is the only way to get rid of the shyness and that's what I'm trying to do like you but nobody will give me a chance:frown:

The jobs were more local based rather than major retail shops or supermarkets. May I asked where you volunteered? If you haven’t, it might be good to look for volunteering in charity shops so you gain experience behind the till/working with customers. Don’t lose hope, now shops/restaurants are opening up, there’ll be plenty more job opportunities so don’t lose hope. If you’re interested, I know I’ve seen plenty of hospitality jobs where you’re not required to have experience
Original post by jessrb1
The jobs were more local based rather than major retail shops or supermarkets. May I asked where you volunteered? If you haven’t, it might be good to look for volunteering in charity shops so you gain experience behind the till/working with customers. Don’t lose hope, now shops/restaurants are opening up, there’ll be plenty more job opportunities so don’t lose hope. If you’re interested, I know I’ve seen plenty of hospitality jobs where you’re not required to have experience

I have volunteered at local takeout restaurant for a few days and also at a British Heart Foundation charity shop. I'm gonna be honest whilst these are good places for experience, I'm desperate for a proper job so I can start earning money, i'm getting older and there's more responsibilities as an adult! I'm trying not to lose hope but it's hard when you spend lots of time doing these applications and then you get rejected with no feedback on what exactly they were looking for in an applicant.
I have volunteered at local takeout restaurant for a few days and also at a British Heart Foundation charity shop. I'm gonna be honest whilst these are good places for experience, I'm desperate for a proper job so I can start earning money, i'm getting older and there's more responsibilities as an adult! I'm trying not to lose hope but it's hard when you spend lots of time doing these applications and then you get rejected with no feedback on what exactly they were looking for in an applicant.

Do you know what type of job/career you’re looking to go into?
Original post by jessrb1
Do you know what type of job/career you’re looking to go into?

I'm not entirely sure, but i'm looking into becoming a physician associate. Its a role that involves working alongside doctors, nurses and pharmacists in a health care setting. Now I know this is not the job for someone who is shy like me lol but I need to work on my communication skills and the only way that will happen is by getting a job somewhere. I've also tried care homes but again, they require experience. So right now I'm looking literally everywhere!
I'm not entirely sure, but i'm looking into becoming a physician associate. Its a role that involves working alongside doctors, nurses and pharmacists in a health care setting. Now I know this is not the job for someone who is shy like me lol but I need to work on my communication skills and the only way that will happen is by getting a job somewhere. I've also tried care homes but again, they require experience. So right now I'm looking literally everywhere!

Hey you can do anything you set your heart to, have you looked into healthcare assistant roles? I feel like I’m always seeing them advertised, I swear I’ve seen some care home jobs where you just need to be a kind person and willing to be a hard worker, you probably are but it’s definitely good to keep looking into those types of jobs :biggrin:
Original post by jessrb1
Hey you can do anything you set your heart to, have you looked into healthcare assistant roles? I feel like I’m always seeing them advertised, I swear I’ve seen some care home jobs where you just need to be a kind person and willing to be a hard worker, you probably are but it’s definitely good to keep looking into those types of jobs :biggrin:

Thank you, I really appreciate your help. I'll just have to keep looking around and hopefully something will come up soon!
Reply 15

Do Boots have part time opportunities in your area?

If you've volunteered at a British Heart Foundation store then you should have experience with cash handling and working in a retail environment so I'm not sure why you'd have to lie?

You should be able to get a job like the one you have stated above without any experience.

I know many people who have gone into jobs exactly like this and similar without prior experience.
Original post by bones-mccoy
If you've volunteered at a British Heart Foundation store then you should have experience with cash handling and working in a retail environment so I'm not sure why you'd have to lie?

It was only for like a month 2 years ago and I was just working in the back.
Original post by amanikaurr
You should be able to get a job like the one you have stated above without any experience.

I know many people who have gone into jobs exactly like this and similar without prior experience.

But surely they are gonna ask for previous employee references and why would the job description say that you need expreince?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending