The Student Room Group

English GCSE, Paper 2 Question 3, Touching the void extract

How does the writer use language to describe how he feels.
The terrible sliding stopped, and I hung silently against the slope. Three faint tugs trembled the taut rope, and I hopped up on to my leg. A wave of nausea and pain swept over me. I was glad of the freezing blasts of snow biting into my face. My head cleared as I waited for the burning to subside from my knee. Several times I had felt it twist sideways when my boot snagged. There would be a flare of agony as the knee kinked back, and parts within the joint seemed to shear past each other with a sickening gristly crunch. I had barely ceased sobbing before my boot snagged again. At the end my leg shook uncontrollably. I tried to stop it shaking, but the harder I tried, the more it shook. I pressed my face into the snow, gritted my teeth, and waited. At last it eased.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AAA_000
The terrible sliding stopped, and I hung silently against the slope. Three faint tugs trembled the taut rope, and I hopped up on to my leg. A wave of nausea and pain swept over me. I was glad of the freezing blasts of snow biting into my face. My head cleared as I waited for the burning to subside from my knee. Several times I had felt it twist sideways when my boot snagged. There would be a flare of agony as the knee kinked back, and parts within the joint seemed to shear past each other with a sickening gristly crunch. I had barely ceased sobbing before my boot snagged again. At the end my leg shook uncontrollably. I tried to stop it shaking, but the harder I tried, the more it shook. I pressed my face into the snow, gritted my teeth, and waited. At last it eased.

What year is this extract?
Reply 2
Original post by nayl_ahmed

Hi do you know what language technique would " freezing blasts of snow biting into my face" be ?
Original post by Nianana8392
Hi do you know what language technique would " freezing blasts of snow biting into my face" be ?

its personification I believe

Thank you
Can anyone help me regarding what can I put for the structure ? Please
Reply 7
Original post by AAA_000

can someone please right something for this question please or if someone already has a piece of writing for it please tell me as I have this question coming up for my test in like 2 days! And thank you!

What is the personification
Original post by Habiba alaa
What is the personification

snow biting. Snow can't actually bite, but the writer compared the cold of the snow to the human action of biting.
do u have any points on what to write about it. i only need two if u have any?
snow biting. Snow can't actually bite, but the writer compared the cold of the snow to the human action of biting.

do u have any other language points - i have my test tomorrow lol
I have that test tommorow too lol, is there an english genius out there who is going to come save us. I'm annotataing the text now
I don't think its that bad of a text to get techniques from
Original post by Elisabeth3210
I have that test tommorow too lol, is there an english genius out there who is going to come save us. I'm annotataing the text now
I don't think its that bad of a text to get techniques from

lol i have one point and used semantic field of pain “burning...agony..nausea” but i can’t think of another point. do u have any i could use?
It also seems to be like a semantic field of his loss of control. his leg shook uncontrollably and he repeatedly said "i tried"
There are also contrasts between the freezing wind and him still burning
(edited 2 years ago)
It also seems to be like a semantic field of his loss of control. his leg shook uncontrollably and he repeatedly said "i tried"

oooo yes i’m going to use that thank you also if u want this info i’m going to reinforce the semantic field of pain with the personification (freezing blasts of snow) to show how cold it acc was but he says he was glad which shows he is in immense/extreme and perhaps confused with his surroundings
Original post by notsayinname
oooo yes i’m going to use that thank you also if u want this info i’m going to reinforce the semantic field of pain with the personification (freezing blasts of snow) to show how cold it acc was but he says he was glad which shows he is in immense/extreme and perhaps confused with his surroundings

immense/extreme pain*
There are also contrasts between the freezing wind and him still burning

my teachers told me this was more to do with structure and we shouldn’t write to much detail with contrast as u would waste ur time
yep its strange that he's saying hes "glad" to have the snow "biting him" . I guess that infers the immense pain he is in. Can you think of anything else to add to that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending