The Student Room Group

Why does my male friend keep talking about his girlfriend to me?

I starting learning French and wanted to find someone to practice with. I went on a language exchange website and began talking to this guy. We really got on and were emailing for about 8 months when I casually suggested that we video chat. He was really keen to, even after I avoided the subject after changing my mind. He brought it up so much that I decided to video chat with him. We talked for almost 2 hours. After the video chat we exchanged a couple of emails and he slipped in that he spent the weekend with his girlfriend. He never mentioned he had a girlfriend before seeing me for the first time on FaceTime (I didn't have a profile picture on my account). Anyway, he suggested to video chat again so we did and he brought up his girlfriend again. He knows I don't have a boyfriend because he asked me. This is making me super paranoid... did he only mention his girlfriend after we video chatted because he doesn't think i'm attractive? or does he think I want more than friendship? I enjoy talking to him but I don't want anything romantic at all, that was never what I was looking for. We have video chatted several times now, hours at a time and the last time he spent a long time talking about his girlfriend and the gifts that he brought her. He even sent me a picture of her holding the gifts. Why does he keep doing this?

He is the one to instigate conversation with me, text me, remember little details about me and send me pictures of things relating to our common interests. He also emails me to ask to FaceTime. If he thinks I have feelings for him (which I don't, but maybe did like the attention a little) why would he do this only to talk about his girlfriend constantly? I have never had a male friend before so I can't figure it out. Also it made me feel super paranoid, that he only mentioned his girlfriend after he saw me for the first time. Without sounding arrogant, I get a lot of attention from guys and I am told that I am pretty (of course i'm not everyones type), am I overthinking this?. Why does he keep seeking me out if he has a girlfriend? and why does he keep bringing her up to me? He's 21 btw. Does he just actually just genuinely like me as a friend and feels comfortable around me? That would be the ideal situation for me because I like him platonically also but if he is doing it to rub it in my face for some reason then I wouldn't feel great about it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Idk just seems a bit of a strange one to me, maybe he's just showing that he has a gf and to kinda like show you he's taken? it's a bit odd that he's showing her so much tho
Also, I live in England and he lives in Europe
Original post by Sarah Lee1738
I starting learning French and wanted to find someone to practice with. I went on a language exchange website and began talking to this guy. We really got on and were emailing for about 8 months when I casually suggested that we video chat. He was really keen to, even after I avoided the subject after changing my mind. He brought it up so much that I decided to video chat with him. We talked for almost 2 hours. After the video chat we exchanged a couple of emails and he slipped in that he spent the weekend with his girlfriend. He never mentioned he had a girlfriend before seeing me for the first time on FaceTime (I didn't have a profile picture on my account). Anyway, he suggested to video chat again so we did and he brought up his girlfriend again. He knows I don't have a boyfriend because he asked me. This is making me super paranoid... did he only mention his girlfriend after we video chatted because he doesn't think i'm attractive? or does he think I want more than friendship? I enjoy talking to him but I don't want anything romantic at all, that was never what I was looking for. We have video chatted several times now, hours at a time and the last time he spent a long time talking about his girlfriend and the gifts that he brought her. He even sent me a picture of her holding the gifts. Why does he keep doing this?

He is the one to instigate conversation with me, text me, remember little details about me and send me pictures of things relating to our common interests. He also emails me to ask to FaceTime. If he thinks I have feelings for him (which I don't, but maybe did like the attention a little) why would he do this only to talk about his girlfriend constantly? I have never had a male friend before so I can't figure it out. Also it made me feel super paranoid, that he only mentioned his girlfriend after he saw me for the first time. Without sounding arrogant, I get a lot of attention from guys and I am told that I am pretty (of course i'm not everyones type), am I overthinking this?. Why does he keep seeking me out if he has a girlfriend? and why does he keep bringing her up to me? He's 21 btw. Does he just actually just genuinely like me as a friend and feels comfortable around me? That would be the ideal situation for me because I like him platonically also but if he is doing it to rub it in my face for some reason then I wouldn't feel great about it.

I mean he could want to be just friends. Maybe his girlfriend doesn’t give him much attention and he just wants someone to talk to when she’s not around. I have a female friend (I’m a guy) with whom I talk to about things like that, and she talks about it to me too.
Maybe try seeing what his response is if you were to go on a date with someone? Or mention that you’re talking to a guy? You’ll be able to tell his thoughts through his reaction to that.
Also, I live in England and he lives in Europe

This one is actually kinda funny 😂

Hmm very odd. Maybe he has some feelings for you but feels bad because he has a girlfriend so tries to make it really clear he has a girlfriend more to himself than to you? Idk though seems a little weird??
Original post by the_pharaoh
This one is actually kinda funny 😂

kinda is an understatement, it's bloody hilarious :rofl3:
Original post by pipthesqueak

what's funny about it?
Original post by pipthesqueak

Ok ye ur right I actually died laughing 😂
Some people like to talk about their relationships a lot, especially to people they're closer with (you might have got more into that category after you started video calling, or maybe it's quite a new relationship). It seems to me to be more of a showing off kind of thing.
what's funny about it?

This might come as a surprise to you but

England is in Europe
Reply 11

England is in Europe

Not anymore, really

England is in Europe

Okay yeah that is kinda of funny.... my Bad! He lives in France
Original post by JGLM
Not anymore, really

Well maybe not like that

but location wise it is
Reply 14
Well maybe not like that

but location wise it is

I suppose so lol
Original post by OctoberRain7
Some people like to talk about their relationships a lot, especially to people they're closer with (you might have got more into that category after you started video calling, or maybe it's quite a new relationship). It seems to me to be more of a showing off kind of thing.

Yeah it would make sense if it was a showing off kinda thing I guess. He said that they've been dating for around a year so its not a new relationship
Well maybe not like that

but location wise it is

any comments on my actual question?
any comments on my actual question?

Oh ye sorry well ngl couldn't be asked to read the post but based on the title could just be that he's happy so he's flexing her or it doesnt mean anything he just does it normamlly as convo
Sounds like he is making sure you know he has a girlfriend and isn't interested or likes the fact he has someone and you don't
Original post by JGLM
Not anymore, really
The European Union and Europe aren't the same thing. England left the European Union, but they are still an European country, since the European Union is just that, a union, not a geographical place.