The Student Room Group

Boris

Is Boris Johnson toast over this flat corruption thing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've always thought he'd end up resigning and I can see this flat business swinging it that way
Wishful thinking.

All his other scandals didn't finish him, include the highest court concluding that he mislead the queen. All his lies and failures, all of that didn't work - but oh my god he spent a relatively small amount of money doing up a flat. He's gone.

I'm not a Bojo fan. Didn't vote for him, never will.. but this won't be the end of him, not by a long shot.
Toast? Probably not. British people set remarkably low standards for their political leaders both in terms of personal conduct and actual political leadership. That is why a man as limited as Johnson has risen so far.

However we are starting to see the emergence of constant sleaze stories similar to those in the 90s that eventfully made the Conservatives unelectable for a number of years. Although the British electorate changes their opinions with the speed of oil tanker turning, it will eventually catch up with the Conservatives. Whether Labour will capitalise is another matter.
Reply 4
Probably not. The problem with this is that it’s firstly a secondary issue and second that any inquiry will take months and unlike expenses this can’t deliver for months on end.
No.
But he may be 'toast' within the Conservative Party for antagonising so many financial backers.
Definitely will be as far as the 1922 Committee if traditionally loyal party donors have switched to Laurence Fox and transferred seven figure sums into The Reclaim Party's bank accounts.
No absolutely not. Labour are clutching at straws making this as big of an issue as it has been. The polls certain suggest that Labour being more bothered about some paint and wallpaper rather than actual issues, has done absolutely nothing to help their cause.
Original post by imlikeahermit
No absolutely not. Labour are clutching at straws making this as big of an issue as it has been. The polls certain suggest that Labour being more bothered about some paint and wallpaper rather than actual issues, has done absolutely nothing to help their cause.

It's not a Labour thing to me. I'm pretty scandalised by him as a conservative Christian. All his affairs, extra children, financial corruption, lies, scandals - I'm not sure how any real conservatives can put up with it except if they're hoping he'll give them something they want indirectly. Brexit is done now, so if it's that, can we get a morally decent person in power now?
No.
The Conservatives aren't going to change anything while they have such a big lead.
Original post by -Imperator-
No.
The Conservatives aren't going to change anything while they have such a big lead.

Oh yeah that's a point, who cares about principles when one is winning :'(
Reply 10
No. No-one's even clear why it's an issue. To the average punter it makes him look a bit cheap, but that's about it.
Original post by LauraforChrist
It's not a Labour thing to me. I'm pretty scandalised by him as a conservative Christian. All his affairs, extra children, financial corruption, lies, scandals - I'm not sure how any real conservatives can put up with it except if they're hoping he'll give them something they want indirectly. Brexit is done now, so if it's that, can we get a morally decent person in power now?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not his biggest fan either. To be fair, it’s a damning endorsement of British politics. The last election was between a philandering liar and a hamas sympathising anti-Semite...
Mr Johnson should be facing criminal charges for a lot worse. In answer to the question, no.
Reply 13
I am utterly disillusioned by politics at the moment. Boris is a complete blithering idiot, a liar and a national embarrassment. And the worst thing of it all is that no one really cares. And as for labour. Kier who? He is the ultimate grey man. He makes John Major and Detective Inspector Ian Buckles look positively effervescent!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
I am utterly disillusioned by politics at the moment. Boris is a complete blithering idiot, a liar and a national embarrassment. And the worst thing of it all is that no one really cares. And as for labour. Kier who? He is the ultimate grey man. He makes John Major and Detective Inspector Ian Buckles look positively effervescent!

Kier would be the most boring person at a country cider drinking event for the accountants of sheep farmers
Oh yeah that's a point, who cares about principles when one is winning :'(

But this is just how democracy works. A party's success depends upon their ability to win elections, not to stick to principles.
But this is just how democracy works. A party's success depends upon their ability to win elections, not to stick to principles.

I think it also depends on the alternative. Labour seem to be losing as much as the Tories winning. They lost Scotland several years ago to the SNP in the main, never had large parts of the south and south-west of England, and are now losing the north and north east.

+1 this

You may not like it but that is the reality we are living in (and what's gotten into this mess in the first place)

Isn't that why people are disillusioned with career politicians in democracies
(edited 2 years ago)
Isn't that why people are disillusioned with career politicians in democracies

Yes....

But in defence of career politicians (which is something I've never said before) how else are they meant to learn how to do the job?

Whilst I am a fan of outsiders like Trump coming in and shaking things up they definitely struggle with a lack of knowledge on how to run things effectively.

Quick Reply