The Student Room Group

Why?

I’ve been wondering why I put myself through so much for my bf but would never do so much for a friend? Like I don’t care to have friends. To me there’s no point in friends. They are such pointless attachments. Why do I place so much value on my romantic relationship?
Thanks
I guess most people value a romantic relationship more than a friend. That said it isn’t necessarily right or reasonable to sacrifice a lot for a romantic partner. It’s good that you’re thinking about this. It can be easy to get stuck in a state of doing whatever’s needed to prop a relationship up, including making unfair sacrifices and compromising where it would be best not to. (To be clear I’m not saying that’s the place you’re in now - but the kind of thinking you’re doing should help it not come to that.)
Original post by deciduous
I’ve been wondering why I put myself through so much for my bf but would never do so much for a friend? Like I don’t care to have friends. To me there’s no point in friends. They are such pointless attachments. Why do I place so much value on my romantic relationship?
Thanks

I'd say it's actually the opposite assuming ur like 16 the chances of your romantic relationship really lasting and getting somewhere are pretty slim and can cause unnecessary drama and pain due to the nature of the relationship whereas if u find good friends they'll have ur back definitely less drama and they could last
Reply 3
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I guess most people value a romantic relationship more than a friend. That said it isn’t necessarily right or reasonable to sacrifice a lot for a romantic partner. It’s good that you’re thinking about this. It can be easy to get stuck in a state of doing whatever’s needed to prop a relationship up, including making unfair sacrifices and compromising where it would be best not to. (To be clear I’m not saying that’s the place you’re in now - but the kind of thinking you’re doing should help it not come to that.)

Oh I see, thank you 😊 I’ve only made a few but only because I’m certain we’re going to be together for the rest of our lives. If I wasn’t certain then I wouldn’t make any sacrifices. I guess that’s it then, the certainty. Thanks!!
Reply 4
Original post by the_pharaoh
I'd say it's actually the opposite assuming ur like 16 the chances of your romantic relationship really lasting and getting somewhere are pretty slim and can cause unnecessary drama and pain due to the nature of the relationship whereas if u find good friends they'll have ur back definitely less drama and they could last

I’m 18 so maybe I have better chances of it working out? But that’s true, thanks 😊
Reply 5
Original post by the_pharaoh

But also I don’t agree bc friends are never there for you in times of need.
Bros before h***.

Bros don't trade-up on one another. So, they're the better investment in terms of spending time with them, over most potential romantic partnerships.

Spoiler

I prefer to place my eggs in the most secure basket. That's all.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by deciduous
But also I don’t agree bc friends are never there for you in times of need.

Not true these are the bad friends there are many decent ppl out there who will be there for u more than ur partner u just have to find them

Trust me ik from experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending