The Student Room Group

Dating/marrying outside culture/religion - but not sure if I want to?

I’m Indian and dating a white man. I’m 22 and we’ve been together a year. I really am in love and he’s an amazing guy. I could really see myself marrying him. My parents don’t know as I know they’ll disapprove. I want to tell them soon but I’m not sure how. However, I’m really conflicted as I’m quite religious and really appreciate my culture and want to pass it into my kids. My boyfriend accepts this and is happy with being of different religions. A part of me really wants to marry an Indian because I love the culture and want to embrace it fully with my kids adopting the same. However I know that I won’t get the same life if I marry my boyfriend because his family dont have that same culture. I always pictured marrying into an Indian family and living the same religion and culture. But I really truly love my boyfriend and can’t imagine marrying anyone else. Please can anyone provide some advice on what to do? I’m really scared of my family’s reaction as they’re very traditional.
How can you keep a whole boyfriend a secret?
It’s going to be difficult but your family will accept him hopefully. Once they see how happy he makes you
Reply 2
Original post by Moonlight rain
How can you keep a whole boyfriend a secret?
It’s going to be difficult but your family will accept him hopefully. Once they see how happy he makes you

they don’t know. When I go out I just say I’m going with friends. It’s very hard hiding it but I has to be done while I’m under their roof I hope they accept him
Sounds like a difficult decision and one that only you can make. The only advice I would give is, don’t rush into anything - if you’re not 100% sure you want to marry him, don’t marry him yet. (You probably weren’t going to rush into it anyway but just sayin’.)
If you are compatible with this man:
sexually
attitudes to money
how you resolve conflict
Number of children
Basic approach to raising children

go ahead and marry him.

Be assertive with your parents.

Your life and your children's life will be enhanced by the duo-cultural nature of your home.
I’m kind of in the same situation, and I’m not going to tell them. I’m going to try to hide it until they visit my house one day. It’ll be a surprise. But a nice one since they want me to get married anyway
lol you guys are hilarious
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by nillybiol
lol you guys are hilarious

I don’t see what’s funny?
Same position lol
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Same position lol

Such a hard position to be in. Wishing you all the best, if you ever need to talk let me know and we can dm x
Original post by Anonymous
Such a hard position to be in. Wishing you all the best, if you ever need to talk let me know and we can dm x

It's not a hard position at all!

It's fantastic to have a boyfriend that loves you and is worthy of your love.

Life doesn't get any better than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending