The Student Room Group

Anon?

So I'm fairly new to TSR - I've only been on it for around 2 weeks - and have often seen people use terms like "anon abuse". I'm inferring from this and from conversions I've seen on threads that there are only certain conditions that someone can post something anonymously. What are the rules around posting anonymously on TSR?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Btw sorry if this is in the wrong forum!
Anon should only be used for sensitive reasons like private information relating to personal life and whatnot. Not just for hiding your username for arbitrary reasons.

Couldn't resist the irony of posting this on anon, sorry anon-abuse police
The anonymous function is intended for people who want to disclose something embarrassing or something that could be used to identify them - so it’s used to protect privacy.

However “anon abuse” refers to those people who use it needlessly (their post doesn’t potentially expose private details or is embarrassing) or, more commonly, it’s used by trolls to make pathetic posts or abuse others.
There are two species of anon abusers:

Trollinaria minora: :troll2:

and

Trollinaria Painarsus: :troll:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
The anonymous function is intended for people who want to disclose something embarrassing or something that could be used to identify them - so it’s used to protect privacy.

However “anon abuse” refers to those people who use it needlessly (their post doesn’t potentially expose private details or is embarrassing) or, more commonly, it’s used by trolls to make pathetic posts or abuse others.

Do moderators/Volunteer team/ forum helpers use anon?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Celtic Conjurer

and

Lol
Also love your Gentleman's Grimoire!
To be honest, I do think people sometimes get a bit too obsessed with "anon abuse" and take it out of context. I have been given "posting tips" in the past about using anon when I have used it appropriately to talk about personal issues and then continued to be anon in other posts in that thread (mostly for continuity but also because your messages automatically get posted under anon if you post anonymously). But yes, people do misuse the function rather often.

This page has information on when it is and isn't appropriate to use the anonymous function.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Do moderators/Volunteer team/ forum helpers use anon?

We have the option available, yes.
Original post by KV5
Lol
Also love your Gentleman's Grimoire!

Thank you so much!
Reply 10
We have the option available, yes.

i haven't tried anonymous in years (long before FH role) let me try :cyber:
can you see me now? :smile:
Original post by Joleee

I think I’ve used anon a grand total of 3 times since I joined.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
Anon should only be used for sensitive reasons like private information relating to personal life and whatnot. Not just for hiding your username for arbitrary reasons.

Couldn't resist the irony of posting this on anon, sorry anon-abuse police

Original post by black tea
To be honest, I do think people sometimes get a bit too obsessed with "anon abuse" and take it out of context. I have been given "posting tips" in the past about using anon when I have used it appropriately to talk about personal issues and then continued to be anon in other posts in that thread (mostly for continuity but also because your messages automatically get posted under anon if you post anonymously). But yes, people do misuse the function rather often.

This page has information on when it is and isn't appropriate to use the anonymous function.

Original post by Celtic Conjurer

and

This anon stuff makes wayyyyyyyyy more sense now!
Original post by Joleee

Original post by Anonymous
can you see me now? :smile:

Doesn’t that class as abusing anon..........
Reply 15
Anon is for private or embarrassing content only which is why it is only available in a few subforums where that would be needed. A lot of users will post in Relationships to use the function, when their thread really belongs in Chat or another subforum for no reason. Usually its embarrassing because they're stupid questions or trolling. It clogs up the subforum for users who are genuinely trying to help other members out, but instead of seeing questions about relationships, the Relationship section is flooded with politics and other random topics..
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Doesn’t that class as abusing anon..........

:getmecoat:
Original post by KV5
This anon stuff makes wayyyyyyyyy more sense now!

If you are on this site for like a day, it would’ve made sense a long time ago....
Reply 18
I think I’ve used anon a grand total of 3 times since I joined.

i used it in the first one or two months here cuz i have been stalked online by my ex partner (know you think i'm exaggerating but true story not to bring down the convo :h:). got out of the habit tho cuz i mostly posted in the debate section where there is no option for anonymous (thank the Lord God Almighty, cuz why would there be? :curious: ) and over time felt less paranoid and need to be anonymous. anyway, that's my use of anon story. now everyone knows :star:
Apologies. I missed this thread and set up a separate one about the Anon function to see if TSR members have any appetite for it to be scrapped. Its focus is different from this thread though.

I say scrap it.

Unfortunately the positive reason of the Anon function to allow members to talk about their personal issues just allows some members to grind out the same weary obsessions multiple times a day.

It's not actually a kindness to let a small number of posters hog the forums. They flourish because in a fast paced forum such as this, their overuse can go largely unchecked and unchallenged.

The Admin dont like it when a member is reminded by another member that they've posted the same stuff after day.

Its not an abuse of the Anon function to take over the forum with the repeated fixated minutae of their life. It is, however, an abuse of the Anon feature to ask them how much advice they continually need for the same stuff....

Quick Reply

Latest