The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm in chaos with no solution

I have had a turbulent time since leaving college, I completed my A levels and got BBB and attended Sheffield uni, I wanted to resit my A levels so dropped out in 2 weeks. I then resat got AAA but didn't get into my firm choice Imperial but instead got into Durham. I never really got over missing the offer and didn't engage or enjoy my first year studying science so I switched to econ but also held an offer from UCL which I didn't take last minute as I decided against moving to London. I'm now approaching the end of the year where I'm not sure if I will make it through to next year or if I even want to. I don't know what to do now as my plan was just to get a grad scheme at the big 4 and get my ACA but it's becoming more and more foggy.
Reply 1
I have been informing uni of my situation
Maybe it’s time to stop looking at what you could have had and focus on the present? You seem to change your mind a lot and dwell on alternative options, which in turn causes you to lose focus and prevents you from excelling.

The big 4 is an ambitious goal. Have you checked their entry requirements? They usually require excellent A levels (first sitting) and excellent university grades.

I would focus on getting the best uni grades I possibly can and be open minded to take any graduate schemes. Dropping out of Sheffield then Durham to go to any other uni is not going to be a good look. Shows a lack of commitment or not researching well before committing.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe it’s time to stop looking at what you could have had and focus on the present? You seem to change your mind a lot and dwell on alternative options, which in turn causes you to lose focus and prevents you from excelling.

The big 4 is an ambitious goal. Have you checked their entry requirements? They usually require excellent A levels (first sitting) and excellent university grades.

I would focus on getting the best uni grades I possibly can and be open minded to take any graduate schemes. Dropping out of Sheffield then Durham to go to any other uni is not going to be a good look. Shows a lack of commitment or not researching well before committing.

This exactly the problem I seem to obessively dwell to a very unhealthy extent causing me to focus on the past instead of the present, I'm starting to understand the pattern but I can't seem to get out of it. Sending multiple university applications leads to me just thinking how much better the alternative is
This exactly the problem I seem to obessively dwell to a very unhealthy extent causing me to focus on the past instead of the present, I'm starting to understand the pattern but I can't seem to get out of it. Sending multiple university applications leads to me just thinking how much better the alternative is

I was like this which is why I recognise it.

You just have to tell yourself to stop. Remind yourself that there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ and there are pros and cons to everything. You are on a good path. Focus on making the most out of it.

Don’t even look at the alternatives now tbh.
Reply 5
I was like this which is why I recognise it.

You just have to tell yourself to stop. Remind yourself that there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ and there are pros and cons to everything. You are on a good path. Focus on making the most out of it.

Don’t even look at the alternatives now tbh.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it especially since you ca understand. Everyone else seems to be getting on with it whilst I'm stagnant so it feels very isolating. How did it turn out for you? Did you feel regret or were you happy with the way things turned out?
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it especially since you ca understand. Everyone else seems to be getting on with it whilst I'm stagnant so it feels very isolating. How did it turn out for you? Did you feel regret or were you happy with the way things turned out?

Much better now. Because when you stop comparing yourself to the alternatives, you can start focusing on what you can be proud of, rather than finding faults in everything.

That alleviates the pressure you have on yourself which actually leads you to do well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending