The Student Room Group

Eduqas Media A-level

Hi, I got my mock back today, but my teachers aren't allowed to tell use the grade boundaries. I was wondering if anyone knew the grade boundaries for eduqas alevel media? I have no clue which paper I sat, but it had a H&M advert in it! I'll list my marks / percentages I got too, if that helps...

Paper 1:
I got 77/90 (86%)

Paper 2:
I got 28/30 - only did one question because we didn't finish the course. (93%)

So overall:
105/120 (88%)
I do the same course. I'm not completely sure if these are the right ones but these are the ones that my teacher used. These are including coursework and for all the questions so I guess work out the percentage of yours and match it.
(Out of 210 I think)
If that is right then I think it would then convert to an A* as you need around 72% to get an A* and you got 88%
A* 151
A 131
B 106
C 82
D 58
E 34

For the individual papers:
Paper 1 (out of 90)
A* 64
A 56
B 45
C 35
D 25
E 14

Paper 2 (out of 90)
A* 65
A 56
B 46
C 35
D 25
E 15

Again I'm not if these are the ones that everyone is using these were just the ones my teacher gave us. Hope this helps.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by fa123456789
I do the same course. I'm not completely sure if these are the right ones but these are the ones that my teacher used. These are including coursework and for all the questions so I guess work out the percentage of yours and match it.
(Out of 210 I think)
If that is right then I think it would then convert to an A* as you need around 72% to get an A* and you got 88%
A* 151
A 131
B 106
C 82
D 58
E 34

For the individual papers:
Paper 1 (out of 90)
A* 64
A 56
B 45
C 35
D 25
E 14

Paper 2 (out of 90)
A* 65
A 56
B 46
C 35
D 25
E 15

Again I'm not if these are the ones that everyone is using these were just the ones my teacher gave us. Hope this helps.

thank you so much!
Original post by abbbbbb.
thank you so much!

No Problem.
You did really well. I have a mock in a couple days - do you have any resources you can share/ exampler responses or practice questions. That would be really helpful if you could.

Thanks
Reply 4
No Problem.
You did really well. I have a mock in a couple days - do you have any resources you can share/ exampler responses or practice questions. That would be really helpful if you could.

Thanks

https://www.eduqas.co.uk/qualifications/media-studies-as-a-level/?sub_nav_level=s21-assessment-resources#tab_resources
here are the summer ones, hope this helps!

good luck with your mock, I am sure you will do well :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
https://www.eduqas.co.uk/qualifications/media-studies-as-a-level/?sub_nav_level=s21-assessment-resources#tab_resources
here are the summer ones, hope this helps!

good luck with your mock, I am sure you will do well :smile:

Thanks that's really helpful!
Also would you have any tips on how you structure the representation and Media Language questions - I seem to struggle with that.
Reply 6
Thanks that's really helpful!
Also would you have any tips on how you structure the representation and Media Language questions - I seem to struggle with that.

representation, usually try to write as much as I can. What I do first is watch the video and look out for aspects which might relate to the question. Then in the second viewing I try to relate the ideas I thought of to theories (try to aim for 3/4 +). For structure, I usually base the paragraph off the theorist and then start writing how the video interlinks. That is how I structured my essay and got 27/30 in most recent mock.

media language, I got 13/15, which is still a good mark- but this is my weakest point of the whole course. Here are some tips:
- think about the hidden message behind the text,
- theorists are important, you will need to use levi-strauss' binary oppositions and semiotics by roland barthes throughout. or you will not be able to access the higher band marks.
- think about the colour palette, gesture/dress codes, lighting, maybe the characters too....etc? Then try to link those to the theorists.
- again I would base my paragraphs off the theorist then state how the text links to it

So in other words, theories are very important

hope this helps, if this sounds confusing let me know!
Did u sit the one with the beyonce formation comparision. If that was it. I struggled so bad. You did so well. I havent gotten mine back yet. Hopefully I did well
Reply 8
Original post by anonomous88
Did u sit the one with the beyonce formation comparision. If that was it. I struggled so bad. You did so well. I havent gotten mine back yet. Hopefully I did well

Hi, thank you! I didn't sit the beyonce formation comparison. I am sure you did well :smile:
Hi, thank you! I didn't sit the beyonce formation comparison. I am sure you did well :smile:

What did it include in the mock paper?
Reply 10
Original post by nefeli_tsir
What did it include in the mock paper?

can't remember to be honest as I sat it over a month ago. I sat one of the sample papers not sure which one though, definitely was not 2020 one if you are looking for that.
can't remember to be honest as I sat it over a month ago. I sat one of the sample papers not sure which one though, definitely was not 2020 one if you are looking for that.

Hey I’m really struggling with a level media. Got a C in my end of year 12 exam. Is it possible to bump it up to an A? What resources do u use to revise, as of right now I just use Miss fishers videos for notes and then try to memorise them. Anything else I can do in the exam to get the top grades? Very stressed.
Reply 12
Original post by Kookoovwa
Hey I’m really struggling with a level media. Got a C in my end of year 12 exam. Is it possible to bump it up to an A? What resources do u use to revise, as of right now I just use Miss fishers videos for notes and then try to memorise them. Anything else I can do in the exam to get the top grades? Very stressed.

On my first year 12 test I got a C and on results day achieved an A* so it is possible. I used Mrs Fisher's videos and practically memorised them. There are also revision notes published by the exam board I think for a few texts (i.e. black panther, tide...etc).

To get the top grades, you NEED to learn theorists. Make sure you know how to apply them to texts. i.e. for hesmondhalgh's theory how he says that producers minimise risk to maximise profits. This is applicable to Black panther as Disney could arguably be seen as cashing in on cultural events (e.g. the movie was in cinemas by black history month). For most exam questions you will need to learn your theorists for top marks.

Time management is also important in media. I tend to write quite fast, I think for the mini test that I did in year 13 I wrote 8 pages (double sided) which is a lot. I found that if I understood the content this helped with my writing pace. So maybe ask your teacher for practice exam questions to help with this!

Coursework is also important as it contributes to a large proportion of your grade. Make sure you secure an A* in this! Try getting full marks on that pre written bit explaining your coursework (can't remember what that is called!). Hope this helps let me know if you need any more help
On my first year 12 test I got a C and on results day achieved an A* so it is possible. I used Mrs Fisher's videos and practically memorised them. There are also revision notes published by the exam board I think for a few texts (i.e. black panther, tide...etc).

To get the top grades, you NEED to learn theorists. Make sure you know how to apply them to texts. i.e. for hesmondhalgh's theory how he says that producers minimise risk to maximise profits. This is applicable to Black panther as Disney could arguably be seen as cashing in on cultural events (e.g. the movie was in cinemas by black history month). For most exam questions you will need to learn your theorists for top marks.

Time management is also important in media. I tend to write quite fast, I think for the mini test that I did in year 13 I wrote 8 pages (double sided) which is a lot. I found that if I understood the content this helped with my writing pace. So maybe ask your teacher for practice exam questions to help with this!

Coursework is also important as it contributes to a large proportion of your grade. Make sure you secure an A* in this! Try getting full marks on that pre written bit explaining your coursework (can't remember what that is called!). Hope this helps let me know if you need any more help

Is it mainly just memorising the miss fisher videos and those revision sheets? To do well u just have to remember a lot and the theories that go with the set product and also just write as much as u can? My teacher says to just memorise miss fisher videos and write as much as I can so yeah. Is there any structure answering the questions? Also how do you approach answering media language questions like what do u look for in the unseen text?
Reply 14
Original post by Kookoovwa
Is it mainly just memorising the miss fisher videos and those revision sheets? To do well u just have to remember a lot and the theories that go with the set product and also just write as much as u can? My teacher says to just memorise miss fisher videos and write as much as I can so yeah. Is there any structure answering the questions? Also how do you approach answering media language questions like what do u look for in the unseen text?

I would say memorising everything (and a little bit of extra reading for certain set texts), plus learning all of the different theorists should get you far. As long as you can write a lot! Should be able to get an A* (but all the writing must be accurate)

Structure I would say slightly. I usually start off with a point. Introduce the theorist (if necessary). Then say how the theorist links to the point by using evidence. Can explain but only if necessary (many applicable to media language).

Media language was my weakest area but still A* worthy. Would say think of a few things such as:
colour palette and how this conveys meaning, body language, lexis, clothing, location, music (only in videos)...etc. So many things to talk about, my go-to is usually picking out the different colours and the body language. Again you need to write a lot, I think if I can remember I wrote 3 pages - double sided for this- and usually on average score 13/15 or 14/15.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions fire ahead :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending