The Student Room Group

Can someone mark my attempt?

Hello, could someone please give me advice on how to improve my answer and also what mark you would give it?

Describe and Evaluate the Behavioural Approach to Treating Phobias
(8 Marks)

The behavioural approach identifies two different treatments for phobias; systematic desensitisation and flooding. Both of these treatments are based on the principles of classical conditioning. Flooding involves exposing a patient to their phobic stimulus without a gradual, strategic buildup, using an anxiety hierarchy. One limitation of flooding is that, regardless of its cost effetivness, it may be classified as quite ineffective to those with complex phobias, such as social phobias. This may be due to cognitive aspects, which the behavioural approach fail to acknowledge. For example, those with agoraphobia are more likely to experience unpleasant thoughts as opposed to a traumatic event. This is therefore a weakness of flooding as this suggests that it is not an universally effective treatment for all phobias.However, a strength of flooding is that it is quite a cost effective treatment. This is because, flooding can typically cure someone of a phobia within one long session. This therefore portrays flooding as a more cost effective alternative treatment as opposed to other treatments, such as cognitive therapies.Therefore, although flooding is quite a cost effective behavioural treatment for phobias, it lacks efficiency in providing an universally effective treatment for every single phobia.

Thank you in advance
Original post by Vnuerlkoete
Hello, could someone please give me advice on how to improve my answer and also what mark you would give it?

Describe and Evaluate the Behavioural Approach to Treating Phobias
(8 Marks)

The behavioural approach identifies two different treatments for phobias; systematic desensitisation and flooding. Both of these treatments are based on the principles of classical conditioning. Flooding involves exposing a patient to their phobic stimulus without a gradual, strategic buildup, using an anxiety hierarchy. One limitation of flooding is that, regardless of its cost effetivness, it may be classified as quite ineffective to those with complex phobias, such as social phobias. This may be due to cognitive aspects, which the behavioural approach fail to acknowledge. For example, those with agoraphobia are more likely to experience unpleasant thoughts as opposed to a traumatic event. This is therefore a weakness of flooding as this suggests that it is not an universally effective treatment for all phobias.However, a strength of flooding is that it is quite a cost effective treatment. This is because, flooding can typically cure someone of a phobia within one long session. This therefore portrays flooding as a more cost effective alternative treatment as opposed to other treatments, such as cognitive therapies.Therefore, although flooding is quite a cost effective behavioural treatment for phobias, it lacks efficiency in providing an universally effective treatment for every single phobia.

Thank you in advance

You've only really discussed flooding in this answer whereas the behavioural approach to treating phobias includes systematic desensitisation. If the question was about flooding, this would be a really good answer but to improve I would suggest talking about systematic desensitisation and evaluating this as well. It's definitely a good answer, it just needs a bit more elaboration :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending