The Student Room Group

EO Decision Maker Interview DWP

Hi everyone!

I have an upcoming interview for a Decision Maker position within DWP and am looking for some advice as I've never had a Civil Service interview before.

It states that it will be a blended (live video) interview of strength based questions and that I will be asked to provide examples against each of the behaviours listed (Making effective decisions, Communicating and influencing and Working together).

I've heard that it's good to use the examples from your application as they were good enough to get through the sift, but I'm unsure how I would do this as the examples were based on 'key criteria' that was listed. Is the 'key criteria' likely to be based upon the behaviours? Also, does anyone know what sort of strength based questions they're likely to ask for an EO level position?

Any other advice would be very much appreciated, I would love to get this job but get so nervous when it comes to interviews that I very rarely succeed!

(This is the key criteria from the job advert: Communicate well with a wide range of diverse people with different needs and deliver an excellent customer service. Understand and interpret complex information to make reasoned decisions. Provide clear, simplified and tailored explanations to customers. Ability to work flexibly to meet changing priorities, manage a diverse workload. Handle sensitive and challenging situations, including potential emotional situations via telephone and/or using digital methods. Use sound judgement and take a considered approach to situations and tasks when making decisions.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should add that I have experience as a Case Manager in DWP but I was employed through a recruitment agency so never had a CS interview, even though I have some CS experience.
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by bb217xx
Should add that I have experience as a Case Manager in DWP but I was employed through a recruitment agency so never had a CS interview, even though I have some CS experience.

Hi there, I just found this thread. How was your interview? I had mine few days ago. Fingers crossed we get good results.
As you have experience, could you please tell me about the actual job. Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Lfd1997
Hope your interview went well! I have one soon! Any tips for the interview? I can’t find anything about what questions have been asked for this role. Thank you 😊

Hi, I hope the interview went ok, anyway it was better speaking with real people than the recorded one. So 3 behaviours questions from the advert and some follow up questions and 3 strength based one.
Sorry I can't remember exactly what the strength questions were as you can't prepare for that in advance.
Just the waiting game now until end of June for the result. Good luck for yours!
Reply 5
I had my interview 2 weeks ago but still no reply. Anyone know when we results and what happens next?
Reply 6
Original post by az35443
I had my interview 2 weeks ago but still no reply. Anyone know when we results and what happens next?

They told me when I finished mine that we may hear from them by end of June. Let's keep fingers and everything crossed 🤞.
Reply 7
Original post by MadreB
They told me when I finished mine that we may hear from them by end of June. Let's keep fingers and everything crossed 🤞.

Thanks for that I was told I would be informed the week after which I think is incorrect anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by az35443
Thanks for that I was told I would be informed the week after which I think is incorrect anyway.

Got told same lol.
Reply 9
Hi

I have passed interview for a DWP Decision Maker post in Glasgow. I am now on the reserve list waiting for more information. Just wondering if anyone on here has applied for this role and has heard anymore than this?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Cath1902
Hi

I have passed interview for a DWP Decision Maker post in Glasgow. I am now on the reserve list waiting for more information. Just wondering if anyone on here has applied for this role and has heard anymore than this?

I applied for that but havent heard back about interview yet lol.
Reply 11
Hi

Hi

I had my interview in May and still not heard back yet

Can I ask when did you have your interview and when did you get a response?

I remember when applying they did mention you can be on a reserve list for a long time.

My attitude to jobs now are apply do the interview and forget about it as I found myself hanging on to responses for jobs for way too long.
Original post by az35443
Hi

I had my interview in May and still not heard back yet

Can I ask when did you have your interview and when did you get a response?

I remember when applying they did mention you can be on a reserve list for a long time.

My attitude to jobs now are apply do the interview and forget about it as I found myself hanging on to responses for jobs for way too long.

I interviewed the first week in May and I got my feedback on the 26th May(3 weeks on Wednesday). I heard from someone in DWP that it is common practice for everyone that passed to go on the reserve list and then offers are made from there. The only thing with that is that you then have no idea if you are getting an offer or are, in fact in reserve. It is very frustrating.
Reply 13
I interviewed the first week in May and I got my feedback on the 26th May(3 weeks on Wednesday). I heard from someone in DWP that it is common practice for everyone that passed to go on the reserve list and then offers are made from there. The only thing with that is that you then have no idea if you are getting an offer or are, in fact in reserve. It is very frustrating.

Yeah I did read that on the job post that you could be waiting for a long period. I feel the same frustration think for me it's best to think I didn't get it and move on. I wish you all the best in your job search. You'll get there and you'll get something good hopefully.
Thank you. Same to yourself. Best of luck.
Reply 15

i was same week and havent heard. 😂
Original post by Karma87
i was same week and havent heard. 😂

Who knows how they work it….
It’s very strange.
Who knows how they work it….
It’s very strange.

Just want to clarify my interview was for AO and not EO Decision Maker, Glasgow. Don’t want to panic anyone that’s waiting for EO feedback. 🤞
Reply 18
Just want to clarify my interview was for AO and not EO Decision Maker, Glasgow. Don’t want to panic anyone that’s waiting for EO feedback. 🤞

Lol I'm waiting for EO Decision Maker feedback. Thanks for the clarification anyhow.
Reply 19
Original post by az35443
Lol I'm waiting for EO Decision Maker feedback. Thanks for the clarification anyhow.

Me too 😂

Quick Reply