The Student Room Group

Law or Psychology @ Non RG Uni ?

is it still worth doing Law at a Non RG uni (LJMU)? or shall I just do psychology? I don’t mind either, but I just want to know whether it’ll still be worth doing Law at a low rank uni. I’ve heard people say Law is a better degree than psychology regardless of uni, is that correct?
Also, I have no idea what I want to do after uni whatsoever. It could be related to my degree or unrelated.
What are your opinions on this?
Psychology- to my understanding it doesnt really matter too much, as long as the degree is appropriately accredited if you need it to pursue certain things
Law-it does matter a lot more where or not its russell group or not. But if its not, its not the absolute end of the world, people from non russell group uni backgrounds have done just as well as those from russell group uni backgrounds. So essentially its not the be all and end all
i got black i got white what u want
Original post by Squiggles1238
Psychology- to my understanding it doesnt really matter too much, as long as the degree is appropriately accredited if you need it to pursue certain things
Law-it does matter a lot more where or not its russell group or not. But if its not, its not the absolute end of the world, people from non russell group uni backgrounds have done just as well as those from russell group uni backgrounds. So essentially its not the be all and end all

thank you! i’ve been so worried about all of this. what if i’m not exactly sure about what i want to do afterwards, which one do you think will be useful overall ?
Original post by blastlaw4
i got black i got white what u want

huh? 😂
Original post by idkwhatnametouse
thank you! i’ve been so worried about all of this. what if i’m not exactly sure about what i want to do afterwards, which one do you think will be useful overall ?

it really depends on what you want to do with that degree once youve finished it. like do you want to use the LLB to become a solicitor/barrister, or do you want the psychology degree to be a psychologist or do you want to go down a less traditional route?

it depends on your aspirations and which you would enjoy more/get the most out of
Original post by Squiggles1238
it really depends on what you want to do with that degree once youve finished it. like do you want to use the LLB to become a solicitor/barrister, or do you want the psychology degree to be a psychologist or do you want to go down a less traditional route?

it depends on your aspirations and which you would enjoy more/get the most out of

Tbh i’m not entirely sure whether I’d want to go down the psychologist route afterwards. I actually chose that degree mainly because it interested me, law also interests me, but it’s just that I have lack of confidence in myself that I’ll do good in it.
I’ve considered solicitor, civil service, etc like crime related or maybe go into something business related like marketing, etc. I might go for grad schemes, idk. I’m not entirely sure that’s why I was wondering if it’s an unrelated career what would employers like more psychology or law
Tbh i’m not entirely sure whether I’d want to go down the psychologist route afterwards. I actually chose that degree mainly because it interested me, law also interests me, but it’s just that I have lack of confidence in myself that I’ll do good in it.
I’ve considered solicitor, civil service, etc like crime related or maybe go into something business related like marketing, etc. I might go for grad schemes, idk. I’m not entirely sure that’s why I was wondering if it’s an unrelated career what would employers like more psychology or law

have you studied either of these subjects before? if not, have you looked properly into the modules they entail?
Reply 8
Neither degree is necessarily better than the other. You can get a law degree from anywhere and become a lawyer on one route or the other. And same goes for psychology if you want to become a psychologist. Obsession with rankings are pointless. You do the subject you want to do for the right reasons I.e. those which are meaningful to you. You don’t collect degrees like trophies or to seek some kind of social validation.
The Russell Group is a research alliance. Nothing more. It will have zero impact on the quality of education you receive and most people over 30 (ie the people who will be employing you) have not even heard of it.
Reply 9
Original post by giella
Neither degree is necessarily better than the other. You can get a law degree from anywhere and become a lawyer on one route or the other. And same goes for psychology if you want to become a psychologist. Obsession with rankings are pointless. You do the subject you want to do for the right reasons I.e. those which are meaningful to you. You don’t collect degrees like trophies or to seek some kind of social validation.
The Russell Group is a research alliance. Nothing more. It will have zero impact on the quality of education you receive and most people over 30 (ie the people who will be employing you) have not even heard of it.

I won’t comment on psychology but the university you go to absolutely matters for law lol. I’d go as far as to say that where you go is more important than what you actually study if you want to go into the legal field.

OP it depends on the type of career path you want. For the civil service (as you mentioned) I think that as long as you don’t go in expecting too high of a position immediately then you’ll probably be fine with a non-RG. This is just from what I’ve heard from my parents who work with new recruits in the civil service.

For a career in the legal field, however, you may struggle. I often see people on LinkedIn who went to unis like LJMU making posts about how they’ve gotten 0 training contracts. This isn’t to say that it’d be impossible but when you’re competing against thousands upon thousands of other law students who all want a relatively small amount of training contracts, you will have quite the uphill battle with a degree from LJMU.
Original post by Mikos
I won’t comment on psychology but the university you go to absolutely matters for law lol. I’d go as far as to say that where you go is more important than what you actually study if you want to go into the legal field.

OP it depends on the type of career path you want. For the civil service (as you mentioned) I think that as long as you don’t go in expecting too high of a position immediately then you’ll probably be fine with a non-RG. This is just from what I’ve heard from my parents who work with new recruits in the civil service.

For a career in the legal field, however, you may struggle. I often see people on LinkedIn who went to unis like LJMU making posts about how they’ve gotten 0 training contracts. This isn’t to say that it’d be impossible but when you’re competing against thousands upon thousands of other law students who all want a relatively small amount of training contracts, you will have quite the uphill battle with a degree from LJMU.

For the Civil Service i was thinking about the fast stream programme, do you recon that’ll be possible ?
I can’t really go to any other uni aside for LJMU so that’s why I was asking shall I still do Law at a Non RG uni because i know what uni you went for Psychology doesn’t really matter
There's non-RG and there's LJMU. Completely ignoring law for the moment, you owe it to yourself (simply because of the amount of debt you're about to take on) to go somewhere better. You'd get a better standard of education going to the Open University and paying for private tuition.
Reply 12
For the Civil Service i was thinking about the fast stream programme, do you recon that’ll be possible ?
I can’t really go to any other uni aside for LJMU so that’s why I was asking shall I still do Law at a Non RG uni because i know what uni you went for Psychology doesn’t really matter

The civil service fast stream involves quite a bit of testing which I imagine would be more important than the university. Having said that, it’s not easy to get on the program and nor is it easy to stay on it. I wouldn’t say university doesn’t matter but it is less important than for getting into law.

I will say that quite a few fast stream candidates are RG, but that could just be a reflection of the type of candidate that typically goes for the fast stream.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending