The Student Room Group

Help with English Question!!!

Hey guys. I hope you are good. Please guys, I need help ASAP. I have an A Level exam next Tuesday on Journey’s End and I’m really struggling with how to answer this type of question. The question is phrased like this:

"The ongoing tensions between Stanhope and Raleigh are never resolved." Examine this view.

I’m confused with what could be counted as strands, and whether the main focus should be on the tensions between the two characters, or the characters' relationship in general.

Guys, I need all the help I can get ASAP, so please respond soon! I’m really stressed out that I’m gonna fail 😫😣
Reply 1
I interpret the "tensions" bit of the question to be both forms as you stated, both the characters tense attitude towards each other and their relationship. Usually when I answer tension questions, I find any bit of "tension" in the text, whether it be tension in the air or their tense attitudes towards each other - any bit of outlined, described and explained tensions between the two will do you good.
Reply 2
Original post by 165283
I interpret the "tensions" bit of the question to be both forms as you stated, both the characters tense attitude towards each other and their relationship. Usually when I answer tension questions, I find any bit of "tension" in the text, whether it be tension in the air or their tense attitudes towards each other - any bit of outlined, described and explained tensions between the two will do you good.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Can you please give me an example of a strand that I could use for this question? As I’m not sure how to actually structure and phrase my answer. Again, please respond ASAP. Thanks in advance x
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ali-liyyah
Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Can you please give me an example of a strand that I could use for this question? As I’m not sure how to actually structure and phrase my answer. Again, please respond ASAP. Thanks in advance x

I've got this question coming up soon too so make sure u let me know how it goes! but I thought i'd just put some of my ideas in.
I think it's extremely important to note that Stanhope and Raleigh do not actually apologise to each other in the last scene, they just start being kind towards each other --> is this just because of death? most likely. This is also their last encounter which is not tense.

In act 1 scene 1 however their first encounter is tense as it is evident Stanhope is not pleased to see Raleigh ("how did you - get here?" , pg23 in my edition)

Act 3 scene 3 (argument about Osbornes death) is again tense but we can see Raleighs change in character, the inexperienced youth has been deeply affect by war, we can see his anger, similar to stanhopes (maybe talk about the time span of the play as it takes place over like 3 days). the quotes i chose for this is pg85 Stanhope: "My God! You bloody little swine! You think i don't care - you think you're the only soul that cares! Raleigh: "And yet you can sit there and drink champagne - and smoke cigars -" This bickering reminds me of school children, and they went to the same school, so this tension really is ongoing as it has dated back to before the war.

You could also talk about the scene where Stanhope states he has to censor the letters and raleigh doesnt want him to read the letter
Also worth mentioning how the alcohol Stanhope consumes is a trigger for his anger. Then maybe mention some context, men were psychologically traumatised by war so alcohol was a coping mechanism.

In answer to your original question it's important to discuss both I think. Obviously mentioning a tense scene shows their relationship. Your question is like a two in one almost, because you need to discuss the tension in their relationship.
I hope this was a bit of help Xx
Reply 4
Original post by user3162
I've got this question coming up soon too so make sure u let me know how it goes! but I thought i'd just put some of my ideas in.
I think it's extremely important to note that Stanhope and Raleigh do not actually apologise to each other in the last scene, they just start being kind towards each other --> is this just because of death? most likely. This is also their last encounter which is not tense.

In act 1 scene 1 however their first encounter is tense as it is evident Stanhope is not pleased to see Raleigh ("how did you - get here?" , pg23 in my edition)

Act 3 scene 3 (argument about Osbornes death) is again tense but we can see Raleighs change in character, the inexperienced youth has been deeply affect by war, we can see his anger, similar to stanhopes (maybe talk about the time span of the play as it takes place over like 3 days). the quotes i chose for this is pg85 Stanhope: "My God! You bloody little swine! You think i don't care - you think you're the only soul that cares! Raleigh: "And yet you can sit there and drink champagne - and smoke cigars -" This bickering reminds me of school children, and they went to the same school, so this tension really is ongoing as it has dated back to before the war.

You could also talk about the scene where Stanhope states he has to censor the letters and raleigh doesnt want him to read the letter
Also worth mentioning how the alcohol Stanhope consumes is a trigger for his anger. Then maybe mention some context, men were psychologically traumatised by war so alcohol was a coping mechanism.

In answer to your original question it's important to discuss both I think. Obviously mentioning a tense scene shows their relationship. Your question is like a two in one almost, because you need to discuss the tension in their relationship.
I hope this was a bit of help Xx

Yes, thanks so much! This was so helpful! Do you have any literary criticism that could be used for Journey's End? I literally don't have any except that Maurice Browne said that Journey's End was an "ardent play", and I'm not sure I'll be able to use that one, as it's not really relevant to the question. Do you have any other pieces of literary criticism that could be used in this essay? If not, this is alright, as you've already helped me out a great deal so thanks again so much x
Reply 5
Yes, thanks so much! This was so helpful! Do you have any literary criticism that could be used for Journey's End? I literally don't have any except that Maurice Browne said that Journey's End was an "ardent play", and I'm not sure I'll be able to use that one, as it's not really relevant to the question. Do you have any other pieces of literary criticism that could be used in this essay? If not, this is alright, as you've already helped me out a great deal so thanks again so much x

Unfortunately i don't, but ask your teacher or google some. I normally just google 'criticism on (character name)' they normally come up on quizlet. Also if you need any help i can send you my socials and we can message there, just because i'll reply a bit quicker x

how was the exam?
Reply 7
Original post by Nafisaalam
how was the exam?

It went really well, thank God. We’ve been given our band (an idea of what grade we may get). They said they can’t tell us the actual grades, but I got a Band 4 which is an A/high B x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending