The Student Room Group

ucl vs kcl vs warwick

have offers from three of them for bsc econ. which one should I go for?
I'd probably consider Warwick and UCL stronger than KCL (which has only had a single honours economics course for a few years now, which spun out of its departments of political economy and management). Personally I'd think Warwick is the stronger course academically (you can do abstract linear algebra and some basic real analysis in that course, which is the standard background for US economics PhD programmes for example), although that is just my personal impression. In terms of graduate prospects they're probably all about the same provided you gain relevant work experience through internships and placements etc on the course, unless you wanted to apply to investment banking (in which case I believe KCL is slightly less favourable than the other two).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I'd probably consider Warwick and UCL stronger than KCL (which has only had a single honours economics course for a few years now, which spun out of its departments of political economy and management). Personally I'd think Warwick is the stronger course academically (you can do abstract linear algebra and some basic real analysis in that course, which is the standard background for US economics PhD programmes for example), although that is just my personal impression. In terms of graduate prospects they're probably all about the same provided you gain relevant work experience through internships and placements etc on the course, unless you wanted to apply to investment banking (in which case I believe KCL is slightly less favourable than the other two).

thanks mate!
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger

I'm pretty sure abstract linear algebra is a basic for ALL BSc Economics courses, not just at Warwick? Heck, I thought it's a A-Level FM specification!
Original post by chocobi
I'm pretty sure abstract linear algebra is a basic for ALL BSc Economics courses, not just at Warwick? Heck, I thought it's a A-Level FM specification!

The topics as covered in most economics degrees, and the FM content and how it's taught in many other non-maths degree courses is not abstract linear algebra, it's the computational aspects of matrix algebra. By abstract I mean a) proof based and b) dealing with abstract (finite dimension) vector spaces generally. Most economics students won't be proving linear independence of some sets or that some linear transformation is isomorphic or something. That is not typical of economics degrees in general, and isn't on the FM spec by any means. However you are right that linear algebra in the sense of matrix algebra is definitely standard for most economics degrees.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending