The Student Room Group

For edexcel teachers/stduents mainly but any other students/teachers please read.

question:

Does anyone know how this predicted grade system is working? What i know is that teachers are submitting three pieces of evidence per module. So doesn't that mean teachers can just send the best pieces of work? Say student B has grades: B , B , A , A ,A , D , U , U in their file. Can the teacher only send the A grades?
Would the student then achieve an A? Can edexcel change it?

This is really confusing for me if anyone knows anything please share as it would calm my concerns a lot.
Original post by TrES2b
question:

Does anyone know how this predicted grade system is working? What i know is that teachers are submitting three pieces of evidence per module. So doesn't that mean teachers can just send the best pieces of work? Say student B has grades: B , B , A , A ,A , D , U , U in their file. Can the teacher only send the A grades?

This is really confusing for me if anyone knows anything please share as it would calm my concerns a lot.

My school said that for every subject they have to put the same evidence in for every student (unless you have extenuating circumstances, in that case, the evidence maybe taken out and replaced or have a lower weighting). So if everyone did bad in that test/question, teachers can take it out. But if the majority get a good grade and a few get a bad grade, they may put it in the basket of evidence still. Also, it depends on the weighting of each evidence, i.e. my economics teacher accidentally told us the weightings, I found out that my mock/in-class assessments were worth more than some homework assignments.

I think that edexcel could change the grade, if everyone magically got A*'s and the school usually doesn't usually perform as well. So they may run a few checks to ensure that everyone gets the right grade.

This evidence stuff confuses me too! I hope what I have written makes some sort of sense, if not I can try to re-explain :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by abbbbbb.
My school said that for every subject they have to put the same evidence in for every student (unless you have extenuating circumstances, in that case, the evidence maybe taken out and replaced or have a lower weighting). So if everyone did bad in that test/question, teachers can take it out. But if the majority get a good grade and a few get a bad grade, they may put it in the basket of evidence still. Also, it depends on the weighting of each evidence, i.e. my economics teacher accidentally told us the weightings, I found out that my mock/in-class assessments were worth more than some homework assignments.

I think that edexcel could change the grade, if everyone magically got A*'s and the school usually doesn't usually perform as well. So they may run a few checks to ensure that everyone gets the right grade.

This evidence stuff confuses me too! I hope what I have written makes some sort of sense, if not I can try to re-explain :smile:

wow really? I had no idea things are weighted differently. All my teachers are very hush hush about the evidence stuff and its stressing me out 😩 wish they were more clear with us!! it makes perfect sense thank you<3

im just so frustrated that theyre not sharing anything about the procedure with us because it heavily affects us and why they wont tell us our predicted grade. soooo scary and i think the whole thing is very messsyy
Original post by TrES2b
wow really? I had no idea things are weighted differently. All my teachers are very hush hush about the evidence stuff and its stressing me out 😩 wish they were more clear with us!! it makes perfect sense thank you<3

im just so frustrated that theyre not sharing anything about the procedure with us because it heavily affects us and why they wont tell us our predicted grade. soooo scary and i think the whole thing is very messsyy

Because I am doing A-levels, I am told my predicted grades for uni, so can estimate what I could get! Annoying how they won't tell us all of the weightings though!!
Reply 4
It's pretty much up to the school how they decide grades - what evidence they use and what weighting they give to each bit. In most cases nothing but the final grade is submitted to the exam board.
Original post by TrES2b
question:

I certainly wouldn't give you an A - that doesn't represent your ability B/C is more likely.given those Us
Because I am doing A-levels, I am told my predicted grades for uni, so can estimate what I could get! Annoying how they won't tell us all of the weightings though!!

Predicted grades aren't part of the picture ....
Reply 7
Because I am doing A-levels, I am told my predicted grades for uni, so can estimate what I could get!

Predicted grades are known to be very optimistic and are decided (generally in September) too far before the actual A levels to be reliable as evidence. In 2019 only 21% of applicants met or exceeded their predicted grades. 43.2% missed their predicted A level grades by three or more grades https://www.ucas.com/file/292726/download?token=wswAnzge#:~:text=UCAS%20is%20actively%20exploring%20ways,from%2037.9%25%20the%20previous%20year.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
I certainly wouldn't give you an A - that doesn't represent your ability B/C is more likely.given those Us

those aren't my grades it was an example
Original post by Muttley79
Predicted grades aren't part of the picture ....

I know, I didn't say predicted grades were part of it. I just said I was given predicted grades and know what I could potentially get.
Original post by Compost
Predicted grades are known to be very optimistic and are decided (generally in September) too far before the actual A levels to be reliable as evidence. In 2019 only 21% of applicants met or exceeded their predicted grades. 43.2% missed their predicted A level grades by three or more grades https://www.ucas.com/file/292726/download?token=wswAnzge#:~:text=UCAS%20is%20actively%20exploring%20ways,from%2037.9%25%20the%20previous%20year.

I know that some predicted grades can be optimistic. But I know I can get my predicted grades if I work hard for them!
I know, I didn't say predicted grades were part of it. I just said I was given predicted grades and know what I could potentially get.

No you really don't - many schools over-inflate predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest