The Student Room Group

advice for year nines

:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
hey there :smile:
i am in year 11, and i am about to finish all my exams soon so i have a few tips,,
your grades right now are very good and you should be extremely proud of yourself!!
the only tips i have is mainly for maths, biology and i can help with english! my final grade is a 6 or 7 rn, so i have plenty of suggestions,
for maths, especially in year 11, use the website hegarty maths, it is so good and explains every possible topic you could think of, math gets pretty intense in the higher tier exams, some stuff you wont even learn in school ( well in my case anyways ), i only got a 4 in my mocks, i struggled a lot. so make sure you study your maths!! ( also physics too! )
for biology, im getting a grade 6 , i would suggest making sure you have plenty of revision cards, as it is very content based.
For english literature and language, i would suggest doing word banks with new words you have never used before, grabbing a good vocab will help you so much in the exams. ensure you know how to analyse deeply and understand potential symbolic terms that might be in your extracts, you can revise english by going over past papers, if you struggle with english ( especially poetry or any of the lit exams ) there is a youtuber called Mr Bruff, who deeply analyses these things
anyway gl for the future :smile: the exams are achievable, as long as you keep up to date and study plenty
Original post by lauren74267
hey there :smile:
i am in year 11, and i am about to finish all my exams soon so i have a few tips,,
your grades right now are very good and you should be extremely proud of yourself!!
the only tips i have is mainly for maths, biology and i can help with english! my final grade is a 6 or 7 rn, so i have plenty of suggestions,
for maths, especially in year 11, use the website hegarty maths, it is so good and explains every possible topic you could think of, math gets pretty intense in the higher tier exams, some stuff you wont even learn in school ( well in my case anyways ), i only got a 4 in my mocks, i struggled a lot. so make sure you study your maths!! ( also physics too! )
for biology, im getting a grade 6 , i would suggest making sure you have plenty of revision cards, as it is very content based.
For english literature and language, i would suggest doing word banks with new words you have never used before, grabbing a good vocab will help you so much in the exams. ensure you know how to analyse deeply and understand potential symbolic terms that might be in your extracts, you can revise english by going over past papers, if you struggle with english ( especially poetry or any of the lit exams ) there is a youtuber called Mr Bruff, who deeply analyses these things
anyway gl for the future :smile: the exams are achievable, as long as you keep up to date and study plenty

Thank you so much, you should be proud of your grades too! I will check out hearty maths and mr bruff, i am so bad at english lmao. Thank youuuu
Don’t stress about your grades so much in y9- went from a 6 to a 9 in my y11 mocks so it’s very much possible to boost your grades over time :smile:

For now focus on just
understanding the content so it’s easier when it comes to revising quotes.
And look back at assessment feedback to see how your answers could improve.

It’s honestly just about the technique of answering the question; which is to be critical and analytical, and once you’ve got that then you’re sorted :smile:

But that comes from practice and you’ve got plenty of time for it so literally don’t worry.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by your_fangirl
okay okay everyone hates us but calm down. my school is a pretty academic school. we have already started our gcse course for core subjects and are given predicted grades up till a 6 then we get an EP which is like 7,8,9. so do you have any tips to improve. im terrible at english so if anyone has any journey's end resources that will be appreciated. anywho these are my predictions if i were do do my gcses now :smile:

maths-6

biology-5

chemisty-5

physics-6

english (lit and lang)-4

french-5

latin-5

music-EP

history-6

geography-6

rs-6

sooo how can i improve, have any veteran tips? please help :smile:

im in year 11 : D but in my opinion you are doing really well already, you shouldnt really be so focussed on your exams so young but if you want to get better at english i suggest watching mr sales he is really good. and for the science i watch freesciencelessons to help with your triples so yeah : D
okay okay everyone hates us but calm down. my school is a pretty academic school. we have already started our gcse course for core subjects and are given predicted grades up till a 6 then we get an EP which is like 7,8,9. so do you have any tips to improve. im terrible at english so if anyone has any journey's end resources that will be appreciated. anywho these are my predictions if i were do do my gcses now :smile:

maths-6

biology-5

chemisty-5

physics-6

english (lit and lang)-4

french-5

latin-5

music-EP

history-6

geography-6

rs-6

I dont really have tips for improvement but I have tip for when it comes to revision

start very early like from year 10 constantly go over the stuff you already did and do practice questions on them that way when you get to you're exams you won't be stressed and overwhelmed and having to cram everything
don't worry too much as you're in year 9 right now- just do the work you're set, revise for end of unit tests, exams etc but don't burn yourself out. enjoy this year, as it's a nice year. just make sure you're on top of things in year 10 and not leaving revision till last minute. practice questions for english and maths are important so make sure you do plenty of those! hand essays in to your teachers too so you can get feedback. i recommend sparknotes, mr bruff, mr salles teaches english, litcharts, shmoop and cliffnotes for english :yes:
it's so easy to waffle and lose focus of the question on english so always plan your essays and constantly be looking at the question
Original post by examhelp21
Don’t stress about your grades so much in y9- went from a 6 to a 9 in my y11 mocks so it’s very much possible to boost your grades over time :smile:

For now focus on just
understanding the content so it’s easier when it comes to revising quotes.
And look back at assessment feedback to see how your answers could improve.

It’s honestly just about the technique of answering the question; which is to be critical and analytical, and once you’ve got that then you’re sorted :smile:

But that comes from practice and you’ve got plenty of time for it so literally don’t worry.

Thank you so much! i really hope i have time and use it efficiently, loads of people i know are doing or claiming to do so much work and i thought i was so behind. Thank you for your help!
Original post by xo.najah
im in year 11 : D but in my opinion you are doing really well already, you shouldnt really be so focussed on your exams so young but if you want to get better at english i suggest watching mr sales he is really good. and for the science i watch freesciencelessons to help with your triples so yeah : D

Thank you so much! i know i should not be stressing so early but i just wanna do really well lmao. Thank you so much for your recommendations!

maths-6

biology-5

chemisty-5

physics-6

english (lit and lang)-4

french-5

latin-5

music-EP

history-6

geography-6

rs-6

Hi, I'm a Yr 11 - great to see you taking an interest in this so young! Try not to stress too much too soon though. :wink:
For History, I would really recommend GCSEHistory.com by CleverLili. I don't know if you are aware of your school's GCSE history exam board and chosen courses in Yr 9, but if you do, this website has detailed content for all the exam boards and all the topics. It teaches you everything you'd need to know. I'd recommend starting this ASAP, and doing it little and often, particularly if you subscribe to the 'Braniac' membership (which I have and can't recommend enough!) and use the AI tutor tool, which keeps refreshing you on the content you've learned before. That said, the free membership is also pretty helpful. There's a lot to get through, and familiarising yourself with the content ahead of the game will help you no end when you start the course at school. Since History is essay-based, in order to write good essays with enough 'evidence' for classwork at school and for your own revision, you need to have the key facts already stored in your long term memory. That way all you need to focus on is essay technique later on. This will take the stress out of Yr 10 and 11, since you won't be in the position of not knowing what to write. Trust me, I've been there (and still am there to be honest, but not since I started using this tool).

Anyway, hope this helps :smile:
Original post by RiviniS48
Hi, I'm a Yr 11 - great to see you taking an interest in this so young! Try not to stress too much too soon though. :wink:
For History, I would really recommend GCSEHistory.com by CleverLili. I don't know if you are aware of your school's GCSE history exam board and chosen courses in Yr 9, but if you do, this website has detailed content for all the exam boards and all the topics. It teaches you everything you'd need to know. I'd recommend starting this ASAP, and doing it little and often, particularly if you subscribe to the 'Braniac' membership (which I have and can't recommend enough!) and use the AI tutor tool, which keeps refreshing you on the content you've learned before. That said, the free membership is also pretty helpful. There's a lot to get through, and familiarising yourself with the content ahead of the game will help you no end when you start the course at school. Since History is essay-based, in order to write good essays with enough 'evidence' for classwork at school and for your own revision, you need to have the key facts already stored in your long term memory. That way all you need to focus on is essay technique later on. This will take the stress out of Yr 10 and 11, since you won't be in the position of not knowing what to write. Trust me, I've been there (and still am there to be honest, but not since I started using this tool).

Anyway, hope this helps :smile:

Also for English this thread might help
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7146317&p=96411689#post96411689
Incredible. Your year 9 grades are better than what I achieved in Year 11. I would just say continue whatever you're doing now, it clearly works.

Goodluck

maths-6

biology-5

chemisty-5

physics-6

english (lit and lang)-4

french-5

latin-5

music-EP

history-6

geography-6

rs-6

Hey I was at a grade 3 to 4 for English in year 8-9 and the beginning of year 10. I first got a tutor but I was very lazy for English what you should do is do papers and get your teacher to mark them and then do another paper or the same and make sure you use all the feedbacks she gives you. I worked extremely on English in year 10 and now I’m at a 6 for language and 7 for literature and I’m in year 11 right now and will sit my gcses pretty soon. I would say past papers and focus on lessons a lot and make sure you understand what the question wants you to do you could watch YouTube videos on each question or ask your teacher to go through a paper with you even my teacher done that for me and I found it quite helpful

Quick Reply

Latest