The Student Room Group

Dissertation supervisor is ignoring me

Hi, so my dissertation was due on the 19 April but I got an extension to the 3rd may, I sent my dissertation supervisor a draft of my discussion section 5 days before the deadline, (that was the only section left to look at), she told me she'd have a look at it tomorrow which was Friday, to which she didn't then came the 3rd so I applied for another extension to which I got the 6th, she still didn't reply and I emailed her and she said she will get back to me soon she has a lot of drafts and assessments to mark, I now have an extension till the 10th may and she still hasn't responded. I emailed her today (6 may) asking her if I should get a further extension because I want her feedback before I submit my dissertation, and she still hasn't replied, what should I do? this is giving me anxiety
I would email either your academic collage and/or your personal tutor and/or the dissertation module lead…

Between them, someone might be able to help
Original post by Lalalaland
Hi, so my dissertation was due on the 19 April but I got an extension to the 3rd may, I sent my dissertation supervisor a draft of my discussion section 5 days before the deadline, (that was the only section left to look at), she told me she'd have a look at it tomorrow which was Friday, to which she didn't then came the 3rd so I applied for another extension to which I got the 6th, she still didn't reply and I emailed her and she said she will get back to me soon she has a lot of drafts and assessments to mark, I now have an extension till the 10th may and she still hasn't responded. I emailed her today (6 may) asking her if I should get a further extension because I want her feedback before I submit my dissertation, and she still hasn't replied, what should I do? this is giving me anxiety

Hi there,

I think it sounds like you have been reasonable, and given your tutor enough time to provide you with some feedback, and it is a key responsibility for academic to provide the necessary support and feedback. I would recommend sending her another email saying you need to get feedback ASAP given the impending deadline and that if she fails to do so you will have to seek help from the dissertation module lead and/or your academic tutor, hopefully that will nudge them into action - you are paying a lot of money for tuition so it is only fair that your tutor upholds their responsibilities.

Good luck in getting the feedback!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
I think it sounds like you have been reasonable, and given your tutor enough time to provide you with some feedback, and it is a key responsibility for academic to provide the necessary support and feedback. I would recommend sending her another email saying you need to get feedback ASAP given the impending deadline and that if she fails to do so you will have to seek help from the dissertation module lead and/or your academic tutor, hopefully that will nudge them into action - you are paying a lot of money for tuition so it is only fair that your tutor upholds their responsibilities.

So its worth remembering that is exam season and some staff will have major commitments for marking time critical papers, possibly for several hundred students. The OP has gone well over the standard deadline, initially by 2 weeks - which is pushing their “out of synch” request for the supervisors time out to somewhere it probably starts to clash with exams. The “responsibility” bit cuts both ways and the supervisor has to balance that one late student paper versus 100 exams to mark.
Since you can't help whatever is going on with the supervisor i would say for your own sake and your deadline don't rely on them for now.

Is there someone esle you can ask for feedback instead? If not a supervisor then a classmate or something. It sounds like you are lacking confidence in the work more than anything, and commends from anyone will still be helpful. Even if your supervisor gave you amazing tips to change you wouldn't have time to change anything major anyway.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
So its worth remembering that is exam season and some staff will have major commitments for marking time critical papers, possibly for several hundred students. The OP has gone well over the standard deadline, initially by 2 weeks - which is pushing their “out of synch” request for the supervisors time out to somewhere it probably starts to clash with exams. The “responsibility” bit cuts both ways and the supervisor has to balance that one late student paper versus 100 exams to mark.

Just here to say that I have had serious issues getting my dissertation done, and in the end, getting a tutor to help me with the final stuff like proofreading was so useful. I know we shouldn't have to given the tuition fees but if that option is available to you you might want to check it out. Get in touch if you want recommendations as well :smile:
Original post by katierawlins
Just here to say that I have had serious issues getting my dissertation done, and in the end, getting a tutor to help me with the final stuff like proofreading was so useful.

No tutor should be proof reading and correcting a near final version of a dissertation for an undergrad. Broad guidance on contents and structure early on is fine, but once you have a professional correcting your work just before submission, that gets you into problematic territory. I say that having recently sat on an academic conduct panel where material from a “tutor” appeared in a dissertation. The student did not write the material and could not explain it. Things did not go well.
Original post by Lalalaland

I think the first thing is if you sent it 5 days before the deadline but this was over a weekend, you actually gave 3 days notice before the deadline.

And whilst formal feedback on your report is useful they are not required to give this. I dont think endlessly applying for extensions is a reasonable course of action, ultimately you should just submit once you are happy with it especially as only one section your asking for feedback on.

Often lots of dissertation supervisors will flat out not read reports before submission as its the students job to compile this, and they are really just supposed to give guidance about the direction of the report not the content.
When my son wrote his dissertation he was given no opportunity to ask for help from his dissertation supervisor beyond agreeing the title together and his supervisor reading and commenting on one draft chapter at a very early stage. This is normal at his university (Exeter).

I think you should just get a friend or relative to proofread it for typos and then submit it.
On one hand, they are obv dragging their heels at this point and kind of wasting your time.

But as others said, emailing a super a few working days before deadline is asking for trouble (I never got anything done emailing mine, had to go see them in person). I'm also of the opinion that I wouldn't expect my super to essentially mark my work before I handed it in, topics may vary in how they approach this, but it sounds close to cheating to my ears.

As @Mr Wednesday notes, you're likely pushing into their other professional time at this stage.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending