The Student Room Group

Children Adolescents Mental Health Services

Do I HAVE TO reach my goal weight in order to be discharged from CAMHS?

Scroll to see replies

If it’s for an eating disorder I believe so. However they will assess that you’re improving mentally and developing good through processes too. This is to risk the chance of relapse
Original post by Anonymous
If it’s for an eating disorder I believe so. However they will assess that you’re improving mentally and developing good through processes too. This is to risk the chance of relapse

So if I prove to them that I’m better mentally and if I’m at a healthy weight (not the goal weight it’s too much) do you think they can discharge me then?
I think so
Typically they will try their absolute best to get you to your goal weight, and may keep you on provisionally to ensure you’re ok and can cope with stressors or potential triggers. Definitely stay with them if you have any doubts at all!
Typically they will try their absolute best to get you to your goal weight, and may keep you on provisionally to ensure you’re ok and can cope with stressors or potential triggers. Definitely stay with them if you have any doubts at all!

Thank you so much for giving me hope! I love you I hope you have a great day
No problem, from one CAMHS kid to another, it does get better and there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
Original post by HypeHouse

No problem, from one CAMHS kid to another, it does get better and there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Hi sorry i dont want to derail your thread, but id CAMHS good? Ive only hear negative things.
ty x
Hi sorry i dont want to derail your thread, but id CAMHS good? Ive only hear negative things.
ty x

Hi! In my experience, primary CAMHS didn’t work for me. When I got referred to secondary CAMHS it definitely helped me more. I had appointments every other week (more often if I was struggling or having changes) and it definitely helped! I did click more with my secondary CAMHS worker than my primary one, but that might be why? Please don’t listen to others bashing CAMHS; with mental health issues you need to get help, and for many people, CAMHS is the only thing to offer it. If you feel you need help please reach out to someone. CAMHS doesn’t work for everyone but it’s definitely worth a try! You can always request a different CAMHS worker if it isn’t going well.
ty x

Hi, I would say from my experience that CAMHS is very overwhelming, you are constantly bombarded with appointments but however they are helpful but I feel like they only care about me reaching my “target weight” which by the way I don’t want to reach as I find that it is too much that’s why I asked this question and I feel that they don’t really care about me mentally
(edited 2 years ago)
I completely understand that! But they try to give you as many appointments as you need so that if you have a relapse, you’re more likely to get back on track with coping. Target weights do suck, and many think it’s too much, but they do it based on BMI (which I’ll accept isn’t always accurate) as it’s the most suitable way they can determine a healthy weight. If you’re struggling with appointments and feel you’re not being supported with other things, you can always talk about this in your meetings, and work towards a solution. Sometimes you may need to see more than one person, but trust me, CAMHS really does help in the long term! I don’t know if I’d be here today without them!
I completely understand that! But they try to give you as many appointments as you need so that if you have a relapse, you’re more likely to get back on track with coping. Target weights do suck, and many think it’s too much, but they do it based on BMI (which I’ll accept isn’t always accurate) as it’s the most suitable way they can determine a healthy weight. If you’re struggling with appointments and feel you’re not being supported with other things, you can always talk about this in your meetings, and work towards a solution. Sometimes you may need to see more than one person, but trust me, CAMHS really does help in the long term! I don’t know if I’d be here today without them!

I find that I’m very lucky to be able to go to CAMHS as I was admitted very quickly as I was urgent however I do want to be in the healthy range of the bmi scale but at the lower end as I would feel more comfortable ultimately I want to be discharged as soon as possible because even though they are trying to help me I don’t want to stay in CAMHS for too long as I have a life to live and as of right now I’m no longer able to go to school because of CAMHS or do any school work but I have an appointment with them tomorrow so maybe that might change who knows? Mentally I’m doing a lot better than before but I think I just need to prove to them that I’m no longer a danger to myself
(edited 2 years ago)
Everyone has a different experience and if CAMHS is their only resource which they can utilise they should do it. Depending on each centre it may be done slightly differently so please don’t generalise all CAMHS services as it may discourage others from accessing help if they need jt
I got help. People do care, yes mental health services are incredibly underfunded, but it’s better to try and for it not to go too well than to not try at all.
"the target weight is too much"
yep you still need to be in camhs
Original post by linedpaper
yep you still need to be in camhs lmfao

They aim to get people up to a BMI of at least 20. My BMI has never been that high (I am in my 20s) and I do not have anorexia and have a perfectly healthy intake of around 2000 calories. So the target genuinely may be too high for some people.
Hi! In my experience, primary CAMHS didn’t work for me. When I got referred to secondary CAMHS it definitely helped me more. I had appointments every other week (more often if I was struggling or having changes) and it definitely helped! I did click more with my secondary CAMHS worker than my primary one, but that might be why? Please don’t listen to others bashing CAMHS; with mental health issues you need to get help, and for many people, CAMHS is the only thing to offer it. If you feel you need help please reach out to someone. CAMHS doesn’t work for everyone but it’s definitely worth a try! You can always request a different CAMHS worker if it isn’t going well.

What is primary and secondary CAMHS?
Original post by HypeHouse

Typically yes I believe
What is primary and secondary CAMHS?

Primary CAMHS is the first person you’ll see, typically they’ll come to your school for your sessions, and you’ll only have 6 usually. Secondary CAMHS is a combination of people, you’ll have to go to a CAMHS centre for your meetings but there’s no limit to how many meetings you can have. Secondary CAMHS is typically only used if primary CAMHS doesn’t help after a few different referrals
Original post by 2018student
Typically yes I believe

So even though I prove to them I’m mentally okay and I’m at a healthy weight they still won’t discharge me?

Original post by linedpaper
yep you still need to be in camhs lmfao

It genuinely is high... I want to be out of CAMHS as soon as possible.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest