The Student Room Group

IELTS Academic

So I completed my IELTS academic (computer based) on the 23rd April and I just received my results today which is the 28th April.

I booked my test very quickly and only gave myself 2 days to revise, the one advantage I had is that I was born in England and English is the language I've spoken my whole life. However, bearing this in mind the Ielts academic are much harder than you may think. Just because english is your native language does not mean that you can pass the IELTS academic without revision it's a lot harder than you may think.

Luckily for me I did pass I scored an overall band score of 7.5

The minimum overall band score I needed was a 6.5 so I have satisfied the requirements.

Background:
I took the IELTS because I have started the process to move to Canada from England and for immigration purposes I had to take this test.

If anyone wants advice then please ask away.
(edited 2 years ago)
Why would you need an IELTS test if you were moving from one English language speaking country to another? Do you not have British Nationality?
Reply 2
Original post by Nobody2u
Why would you need an IELTS test if you were moving from one English language speaking country to another? Do you not have British Nationality?

Yes I have ! Born and bred here but to satisfy the Canadian immigration requirements that’s just something I had to do to show my English proficiency
Reply 3
Original post by amanikaurr
Yes I have ! Born and bred here but to satisfy the Canadian immigration requirements that’s just something I had to do to show my English proficiency

This is what is stated on a Canadian government website :

Q- I am from an English-speaking country. Do I still need to provide proof of language ability to apply under the Canadian Experience Class?

A- Yes. All applicants must provide proof of language ability in one of Canada’s two official languages. You must give us official test results designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Reply 4
Oh wow. I’m surprised you have to do the IELTS to go to Canada. Well done on getting the score needed to satisfy the requirements!
Reply 5
Original post by Mobz2002
Oh wow. I’m surprised you have to do the IELTS to go to Canada. Well done on getting the score needed to satisfy the requirements!

Thankyou! yes I was very surprised too guess its just one of those things you have to do :smile:
Reply 6
How did you score in the writing section? I need 7.5 minimum but got 6.5 in writing so have to take it again. Any source you used in your exam? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by doctorfoa
How did you score in the writing section? I need 7.5 minimum but got 6.5 in writing so have to take it again. Any source you used in your exam? :smile:

Hi, that's such a shame that you were just 2 bands off!:frown: Did you hit the targets you needed for the other parts to the test?

In writing I scored 6.5 too but the minimum that I needed was a 6 in all four aspects.

I would recommend just looking through the past papers and repeating them until you are hitting the target you need if not higher.
There are many websites online that give you advice on finding a good strategy to successfully pass with a high band score.

My worst score was in the writing exam which, I was very surprised by because I have been writing essay's my whole life with high marks and I will be graduating with a first class law degree this year. However, even in this case they want you to use a varied writing style which, you will only pick up by reading strategies and completing past papers again and again. :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah I was also surprised to have only 6.5 in Writing. I got 9 in Speaking and Listening, 8 in Reading. So I really need to work in Writing! Thank you for your advice! I will try to do more past papers!

Hi, that's such a shame that you were just 2 bands off!:frown: Did you hit the targets you needed for the other parts to the test?

In writing I scored 6.5 too but the minimum that I needed was a 6 in all four aspects.

I would recommend just looking through the past papers and repeating them until you are hitting the target you need if not higher.
There are many websites online that give you advice on finding a good strategy to successfully pass with a high band score.

My worst score was in the writing exam which, I was very surprised by because I have been writing essay's my whole life with high marks and I will be graduating with a first class law degree this year. However, even in this case they want you to use a varied writing style which, you will only pick up by reading strategies and completing past papers again and again. :smile:
Reply 9

Could you recommend some websites to me? Thanks in advance.
Original post by albertf

I've just started using the IELTS advantage writing VIP course since writing was where I scored low. It's been okay so far
Original post by albertf

Hi , there wasn't one particular website I used I just typed in Ielts help/strategy and went on a range of websites. It's also helpful to find some sample answers especially for the writing test. I found by looking at these I was able to gauge what the examiner is looking for and how far they want to to explore points etc.

Quick Reply

Latest