The Student Room Group

A level choices

I am planning on taking chemistry, physics and DT in september. im taking the DT as it is a subject i love and am really good at. In my future i am interested infood science/ engineering, these only require the physics and chemistfry. i am worried however, that i will be restricting my possible future careers by not doing maths, incase i want to go into other types of engineering. I want to still tyake my current subjects but i am unsure if i should take the maths too. My paernts both have science degrees and teach physics and said you can still do well in physics a level without the maths. If anyone has taken 4 a levels that are similar, can you give me some advice? thanks :smile:
Original post by alicesb1234
I am planning on taking chemistry, physics and DT in september. im taking the DT as it is a subject i love and am really good at. In my future i am interested infood science/ engineering, these only require the physics and chemistfry. i am worried however, that i will be restricting my possible future careers by not doing maths, incase i want to go into other types of engineering. I want to still tyake my current subjects but i am unsure if i should take the maths too. My paernts both have science degrees and teach physics and said you can still do well in physics a level without the maths. If anyone has taken 4 a levels that are similar, can you give me some advice? thanks :smile:

Hey :smile:

Typically, for all kinds of engineering, Universities require maths A-Level as an essential requirement, followed by physics.
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/engineering-and-technology

Saying that, some Universities may be more lenient depending on the course- maybe speak to any prospective Uni's admissions teams and they might be able to offer you some more clarity. Picking A-Level subjects can be hard when thinking about the next step after College/Sixth Form so I totally empathise with that :smile:

If you have any other questions, let me know!
Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep :smile:
You defo need maths for engineering. Some unis also want further maths i think.

Quick Reply

Latest