The Student Room Group

What did you wish you’d have known before freshers week?

What do you wish you’d have known before starting university and what do you think most people struggle with in their first week?
its pretty chill and there's almost no expectations. just go and do what you feel like rather than expecting to go or be dragged to something you don't want to
Original post by Gillzy
What do you wish you’d have known before starting university and what do you think most people struggle with in their first week?

Hi! @Gillzy

I can list a few things:
1) everyone is in the same boat as you
2) Be prepared to push yourself out of your comfort zone. What I mean by this is don't be afraid to talk to people because you don't know them, join a society even if you've never tried it before
3) try new things! join a society. If you like it that's great and if you don't, then don't be afraid to give it a miss. The important thing is you tried.
4) setting boundaries with your flatmates. I know it can sound odd but it's nice to get this out the way. For example, if you don't like being disturbed. It's not awkward at all and can actually set a supportive flat for one another.
5) You do not have to go to every event if you don't want to and no one should make you.
6) Don't write everything in a lecture. Most lecturers will post their slides before a lecture. I copy and paste these on a word document before and then while I'm in the lecture all I have to do is make notes of what's not on the slides.
7) Explore where you are now living. Offer to go to the shops with your new flatmates.
8) If you're struggling don't be afraid to ask for help. If it's uni work contact your tutor.
9) As soon as your lecturer tells you what books you will need, go to the library and find them, at least then they'll be free to use. Or buy secondhand, there's no point in new books which can be expensive. Don't get all the books they say, one or two will usually suffice.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending