The Student Room Group

Epq, should i drop it

Hi, i am in my first year of sixth form and currently doing epq but i am really struggling to think of a question and have changed it 4 times. Its got to the point where iā€™m thinking about dropping it so can anyone give me advice about whether itā€™s worth sticking in? I want to do psychology at university but i donā€™t know whether to drop epq and us the time to study more for other subjects? Also if your opinion is that i should keep doing epq, what question could i use for a topic about human thoughts in psychology? Thankyou sorry itā€™s a lot
epq is useful for:
- academic writing skills
- exploring your interests
- (sometimes) getting a lower offer, and/or consideration if you miss your offer

it doesn't provide much material help for any particular degree since degrees are taught for a reason and whatever you research as an A level student won't be up to that standard, so if you want to stick it out it ought to be for its own sake and because you enjoy it
Ok I'll be frank with you, it's not worth your time. It's alot of really stressful effort and time that could be spent on your actual studies or your general well being. An EPQ is no little feat and requires alot of effort for what I would say was minimal gains. I really stressed myself out over my EPQ and was the same as you changing my question and I struggled to find a focus. It consumed so much of my time. I was really happy to get a top mark on it in the end though! However this gained Mme nothing in my application. I applied for geography and my EPQ was on a geography based subject of sustainable packaging. Not a single one of my unis lowered grades for me and to be honest I doubt it will give me any special consideration. I was really proud of myself but looking back it wasn't really worth the time and stress. That's just my experience though.
Original post by oliviaalexandera
Ok I'll be frank with you, it's not worth your time. It's alot of really stressful effort and time that could be spent on your actual studies or your general well being. An EPQ is no little feat and requires alot of effort for what I would say was minimal gains. I really stressed myself out over my EPQ and was the same as you changing my question and I struggled to find a focus. It consumed so much of my time. I was really happy to get a top mark on it in the end though! However this gained Mme nothing in my application. I applied for geography and my EPQ was on a geography based subject of sustainable packaging. Not a single one of my unis lowered grades for me and to be honest I doubt it will give me any special consideration. I was really proud of myself but looking back it wasn't really worth the time and stress. That's just my experience though.

thankyou this was very helpful i think iā€™ll drop it and focus on my other subjects, iā€™m just worried because i do two a levels and one btech so i donā€™t know if it will be more helpful having a epq since i do a btech or do you think it doesnā€™t make a difference?
I don't really think it will make that much of a difference. So unis accept btec qualifications some don't but an EPQ won't change that. A Btec is still a very credible qualification and many of the top unis respect that and give offers to people doing them rather than a levels. As long as you work you best in your subjects and get the best you can I'm sure you'll get many great uni offers without worrying about an EPQ. Good luck šŸ™‚
thank you this is actually so helpful! x

Quick Reply