Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m starting uni in september and I’m not sure wether I need to work alongside my course or not as it is quite a demanding course and don’t want to wear myself thin by taking on too much, are student loans enough or is a part time job necessary?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m starting uni in september and I’m not sure wether I need to work alongside my course or not as it is quite a demanding course and don’t want to wear myself thin by taking on too much, are student loans enough or is a part time job necessary?
hi, from what I've heard student loans are good and cover most of it but a part time job could be a good idea. just make sure you schedule your time well and have a healthy work life balance
hope this helped
Vetofferholder1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Really depends on a lot of things like which uni you are going to, how much maintenance loan you will get (based on household income) etc. For example my student maintenance loan is abysmal and won’t even cover my accommodation cost- it’s about 3k short of covering accommodation so doesn’t even touch anything else! I’m hoping on doing a demanding course also (vet med) but it’s not really a choice at this point, if I want to eat I need a part time job! So it’s very case by case basis
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there,

So this is really a personal decision, based upon your loan / grant income (which is based upon your current household's income), for many this might cover a lot of your costs, for other much less. It will also depend upon the city you are living in as living costs and accommodation costs do differ a lot, so if I were you I would try and calculate a rough weekly budget and see if your loan / grant income will cover this, if not I would definitely recommend getting a part-time job. Most Universities recommend a maximum of 15 hours of part-time work, so keep this as a maximum and I'm sure you will be able to fit it around your course on evening / weekends, and also during the holidays you can work more to boost your income. Although there can be impacts on your studying time, there are also positives for your employability in future, and you may learn lots of useful skills, gain experience and meet new people through your part-time work too. If it is getting in the way of your studies too much, you can always decide to quit and focus upon your studies alone.

I hope this is helpful.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello!

I would suggest looking at jobs that are offered by the university itself once you get there. Being a student ambassador is a really flexible role and because its done by the university, they understand that studying is your top priority! So this allows you to work perhaps when you feel you are able and then reduce the hours for deadline season etc.
Another thing to consider is that having a part time job alongside uni looks great on your CV. But of course, not at the detriment of your grades.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you want to ask me anything.

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey Anon.,

As other posts have suggested, it really is dependant on a number of factors such as the maintenance loan amount you get and the affordability of that city etc. In my experience, I have had to have a couple of part-time jobs while at university but they have been pretty easy to manage as long as I am organised and stick to my strict schedule Hull is the most affordable city in the UK so I have found rent and groceries cheap, and even a lot of day trips but with having a small maintenance loan it doesn't go far even in a cheap city

I would recommend if you are going to look for a job, check the university job postings first. You may be able to get a job in the union (I have worked in the retail store and the pub) or you may be able to get a job as an ambassador. These jobs tend to be very reliable and zero-hours so you only work what you can and when. This really helps me when I have quieter weeks, I can work more so that I can take a few weeks off during exam season. However, I do have many friends who get a much larger maintenance loan and they haven't had to have a job so I would wait until you know your entitlement and what you'll have leftover after rent to start looking for jobs

Megan
University of Hull Student Rep
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello!

I think it's a great idea to haver a part time job whilst at university. However, you're right in that you need to have a balance and to focus on your studies. You can always work out a rough budget in terms of your weekly spend, how much your rent is, food shopping etc. and see if your loan covers it.

Around half- 3/4 of all my friends have had a part-time job whilst at uni or worked over the holidays when not at uni to save money.
Before starting uni I had a full time job over summer to save to be able to pay for rent which was very helpful. Also, over the summer before uni I was madly applying to lots of jobs at my university city and it can be really stressful trying to find a job, but you will find one that suits you!

I've had a job throughout my three years at uni doing anywhere from 4-16 hours a week and managed to balance my life style. I've worked as a retail assistant at two different shops and a front of house assistant at a theatre. You have to find what works best for you, and stay organised so that your prioritise your uni work/ revision, but also manage to have time to relax and chill out.

Usually I have been paid minimum wage which in the UK for an 18 year old is £6.15.

I looked on Indeed for jobs as well as shopping centres own career pages (which is how I found out about the two retail assistant jobs). You can set up alerts on Indeed to send you an email when a new job is posted, and I found this so helpful! It's difficult at the moment due to covid as a lot of student jobs involve retail/ catering. However, this doesn't mean you can't set up an alert to notify you, as places may be hiring for when shops/ cafes/ pubs open.

I have worked the past year working as a Student Ambassador, which I have loved so much! Its very well paid (above minimum wage!) and flexible around my uni work. I would really recommend! I found the job on my university careers page. This is a really useful source to find a job internally in the University, but also an external job in the local area, as I found jobs posted on my careers page that weren't on Indeed. So definitely have a look from now until summer at your university's career page to see if you can sort a job for when you start uni!

Best of luck!
Sam- Official Student Rep
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi Anonymous
This is a hard question to answer as each student loan is different to each person. But I can offer advice about part time jobs. At my university we have a job website which offers temporary and part time roles. I’ve found this useful because many of the roles I have found suitable to fit around my studies and I had a lot of studying contact hours. Many students also choose to work during the holidays when they have more free time eg the summer break so that’s definitely something to think about! Maybe have a think about time management and if you have time to work!
Hope this helps
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly
Last edited by Lancaster Student Ambassador; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads