The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me move out

My brother moved out with some of our friends and the plan was to move as well so I got a job then told my parents I want to move out but they only let my brother move. They are refusing to let me move. I'm 16 years old, my brother is 18 and my parents say I'm too young yet my mate with my brother is 16 and ones 15 he's going to be moving in there house when he finishes school so in a few weeks. My friends who are 16 and 15 their parents let them move out and my parents won't let me. I don't want to live with my parents anymore. I have the money easily to move out because I have a job now. I want to move out with my friends and brother then by the age of 18 I want a mortgage on a house which I can probably do if I save. My parents are holding me back.
Reply 1
Well 16 is quite young to move out and I doubt you'll get a mortgage on a house for many years.
Talk to a reliable person, preferably an adult who actually knows about these things. Rent is expensive and food is expensive and those are just the necessities, are you sure you can afford to move out. Judging from you education level (no offence meant) unless you have other practical qualifications I would guess only being 16 you don't have a very well paid job, though it's very good you have one.
You know your situation better than I do, but just be sure whatever you decide is actually going to work and is affordable, not just something you want.
You'll need to plan your finances and know what your doing, really know and not just stuff your friends told you.

Sorry if this sounds patronising, but it's a lot harder to live on your own and pay for everything than you think, don't make a decision you'll regret, you can always move out later, but you might not be able to move back in once you've left.
Reply 2
Original post by pumilio
Well 16 is quite young to move out and I doubt you'll get a mortgage on a house for many years.
Talk to a reliable person, preferably an adult who actually knows about these things. Rent is expensive and food is expensive and those are just the necessities, are you sure you can afford to move out. Judging from you education level (no offence meant) unless you have other practical qualifications I would guess only being 16 you don't have a very well paid job, though it's very good you have one.
You know your situation better than I do, but just be sure whatever you decide is actually going to work and is affordable, not just something you want.
You'll need to plan your finances and know what your doing, really know and not just stuff your friends told you.

Sorry if this sounds patronising, but it's a lot harder to live on your own and pay for everything than you think, don't make a decision you'll regret, you can always move out later, but you might not be able to move back in once you've left.

Well it's just 2 years below the normal age of moving out plus I'm 17 in August. Yes I do have money to move out, rent for the flat the have is £500 a month I think so my brother and mate pay 250 each so that's easily affordable and food is as well.
Reply 3
If I have the money then they'll give the mortgage. The main problem here now is my parents won't let me move out. I can sort the mortgage thing when I'm 18
Original post by Anonymous
If I have the money then they'll give the mortgage. The main problem here now is my parents won't let me move out. I can sort the mortgage thing when I'm 18

I'm guessing that you are not in the UK then as that is not how it works here - minimum 10% cash deposit and a sound credit history which you simply won't have at 18. The only reason you can 'afford' to move out is that you are not factoring in paying towards the rent.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
18 is an adult and I can sort something out with that if I get declined.

It's just unfair my friends are my age and are allowed. If I have the money and want to move out then I don't see why not
Reply 6
Original post by ReadingMum
I'm guessing that you are not in the UK then as that is not how it works here - minimum 10% cash deposit and a sound credit history which you simply won't have at 18. The only reason you can 'afford' to move out is that you are not factoring in paying towards the rent.

But I have a job, I have colleagues who have the same job and they live on the same wage as me
Reply 7
18 is an adult and I can sort something out with that if I get declined.

It's just unfair my friends are my age and are allowed. If I have the money and want to move out then I don't see why not

Some parents let their kids smoke and do drugs, doesn't mean they're doing something good for them.
Reply 8
Original post by pumilio
Some parents let their kids smoke and do drugs, doesn't mean they're doing something good for them.

Moving out and doing drugs are different. Moving out is a normal thing to do and legal drugs aren't
But I have a job, I have colleagues who have the same job and they live on the same wage as me

Where do you live?
Are you doing an apprenticeship or is this a full time job?

In England, for example, you can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.
You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:
- stay in full-time education, for example at a college
- start an apprenticeship or traineeship
- spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training
Sorry, there's no way you're getting a mortgage at 18

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending