The Student Room Group

Hate being Pakistani

Anyone ever wish they were never born in a Pakistani household.
Why does everything have to be so toxic, behind the doors, and suffocating. I mean, you can't even get out of it without completely cutting off...

Scroll to see replies

Don't blame it on being Pakistani since I've met many Pakistani families who don't have a backwards or nationalist mindset. Get counselling or something
I live in a Sri Lankan household with strict parents so I can relate. I'm not allowed to go to my friend's houses for sleepovers, I can't even hang out with them after school. I've been forced to stay home for the majority of my life. Exams and academics are our only priority, it seems. I do worry that our childhood is being killed off. Like how white people in the movies sneak out to the cinema late, or have their first kiss at teen age.
Our parents promise that if we do our exams well, life will be good in the future. So I guess, we just gotta keep the grind up and keep working hard while they enjoy. We'll have our time later, I hope. :smile:
But no matter what happens - you should never say that you hate your own culture. We're actually lucky to even have a culture!
(edited 2 years ago)
There are also families in western countries who are more toxic than Pakistani families.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It's a problem in your family so stop blaming the whole Pakistani community for that. There are also families in western countries who are more toxic than Pakistani families.

True.

It's a coping mechanism...
It's a problem in your family so stop blaming the whole Pakistani community for that. There are also families in western countries who are more toxic than Pakistani families.

Exactly, it's like me blaming a whole country because 1 specific family from that nation did something
Reply 6
Wow. Genuinely didn't expect so much hate. Guess I can't escape it both privately and publicly now.
They want something to blame, to feel less alienated with themself. A lot of Desi kids compare their lifestyles to Western kids, and feel envious, when in reality, Desi households offer the same level of security and comfort. They'll be more grateful in the future.
are you being mobbed/ganged up on/collectively abused by your family? It happens in white families too, especially eastern european ones
Original post by PrathHere
It's the way you worded it 'hate being Pakistani' - it's like spitting on your own culture. White culture isn't any better.

Modern western/white culture is exponentially better and objectively superior to 5000 or 1400 year old barbaric cultures
Are you thinking about that woman who was murdered?
It's the way you worded it 'hate being Pakistani' - it's like spitting on your own culture. White culture isn't any better.
Your parents probably worked so hard to immigrate to a safe country and raise you. I'm not trying to be aggressive, I thought the same as you for a long time.

I can see where you're coming from. Thanks for actually hearing me out and being nicer compared to the rest over here <3
White culture isn't any better

There is no such thing as 'white culture'

Excellence right here folks. You'd be a great scammer
You hate your household, not your ethnicity, think about all the great pakistani's out there singers, cricketers, to nobel peace prize winners :u:
yh i hate being pakistani myself i have a big nose and my family are very strict on education like you have to get good grades and to get a job and do do bad things like not having a bf/gf. Like familys household is full on strict lmao as we are pakistani I hate the food aswell and my parents shout at me and tell me things that I do not like

I am 16 sooo yhhhh
I can see where you're coming from. Thanks for actually hearing me out and being nicer compared to the rest over here <3

No worries, probably best to ignore the comments from everyone else :smile:
yh i hate being pakistani myself i have a big nose and my family are very strict on education like you have to get good grades and to get a job and do do bad things like not having a bf/gf. Like familys household is full on strict lmao as we are pakistani I hate the food aswell and my parents shout at me and tell me things that I do not like

I am 16 sooo yhhhh

"very strict on education like you have to get good grades and to get a job" Mate this is a good thing
"do bad things like not having a bf/gf" No, they just want you to be settled and independent first which has its ups and downs
"I hate the food aswell" But do you really? You just don't like having the same things everyday so ask them if you can switch it up abit or get stuff after school
"parents shout at me and tell me things that I do not like" Basically every parent that cares for their child
You're just trying to find reasons to hate on it when you don't realise how beneficial they are :s-smilie:
When I referred to white culture originally, I mean the lifestyles and morals that white people generally place. It is distinct from the culture of an ethnicity. Your 'culture' has been stolen from many other European and Asian cultures. Funny how the national dish of the UK is a tikka masala.

ewww gtf away from me
you're getting so much hate because most Pakistanis are nationalists and if you say something wrong ( even if you are their own kind ) you will get slashed.
i have a big nose and my family are very strict on education like you have to get good grades and to get a job and do do bad things like not having a bf/gf.

Ah yes, having a big nose is a problem only Pakistanis suffer from. I'm guessing you'd much rather leave school with very bad grades and end up with no job? Not having a boyfriend/girlfriend is regarded as doing bad things? So what you're saying is that getting poor grades and no job is a good thing but not being in a relationship is a bad thing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending