The Student Room Group

4/5 University rejections

4/5 of my university applications have been rejections.
My predicted grades are A* A* A and Edinburgh wanted A A A and that was one of the rejections. I think the reason is probably my personal statement or the fact that I dropped a subject whilst my application was sent. What is the next step from here? I’m on track to getting my predicted grades hopefully or at least close to it. Im guessing dropping a subject during the application process was a reason for my rejections? My personal statement must also be another reason for my rejection since my predicted grades were higher than the requirements right? Where do I go from here? Do I apply again next year and take a gap year? Will I have a better chance next year because I wouldn’t have dropped a subject after the application was sent. Or is it better to go through clearing?
Thanks
Original post by banana6372
My predicted grades are A* A* A and Edinburgh wanted A A A and that was one of the rejections. I think the reason is probably my personal statement or the fact that I dropped a subject whilst my application was sent. What is the next step from here? I’m on track to getting my predicted grades hopefully or at least close to it. Im guessing dropping a subject during the application process was a reason for my rejections? My personal statement must also be another reason for my rejection since my predicted grades were higher than the requirements right? Where do I go from here? Do I apply again next year and take a gap year? Will I have a better chance next year because I wouldn’t have dropped a subject after the application was sent. Or is it better to go through clearing?
Thanks

Unless their is a glaring problem with the PS I doubt this is the reason.

Do your GCSEs meet all the minimum requirements for the unis?
Are you taking all the prerequisite subjects?
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Unless their is a glaring problem with the PS I doubt this is the reason.

Do your GCSEs meet all the minimum requirements for the unis?
Are you taking all the prerequisite subjects?

Yes my GCSEs are all 8s and meet the criteria. I did mention some physics stuff in my PS and that was what I dropped. I called all the universities to make sure my subjects were the ones they wanted and they are.
What course did you apply for?
Yes my GCSEs are all 8s and meet the criteria. I did mention some physics stuff in my PS and that was what I dropped. I called all the universities to make sure my subjects were the ones they wanted and they are.

Look for places in clearing.

Have you asked for feedback?
Thanks

You can ask the university themselves and ask why you got rejected.
Reply 6
Original post by E3student
What course did you apply for?

Computer science
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Look for places in clearing.

Have you asked for feedback?

Yes one university said they can’t give feedback and I’m waiting to hear from the others. What kind of grades are required for clearing?
Yes one university said they can’t give feedback and I’m waiting to hear from the others. What kind of grades are required for clearing?

It will depend on how many places they have to fill.

What universities?

Do you do maths & physics A-level?
Reply 10
Computer science

I have somewhat good grades so if it’s the other stuff that caused the rejection would taking a gap year be better? Or is going straight to clearing the best thing to do regardless?
Reply 11
Original post by mnot
What universities?

Do you do maths & physics A-level?

I do maths further maths and computer science. I’m yet to hear from kings but I can’t count on them for an offer
I do maths further maths and computer science. I’m yet to hear from kings but I can’t count on them for an offer

Hmm I guess applying for what I assume are all super competitive unis has its risks, I suspect part of the difficulty may have been universities are making fewer offers due to grade inflation, and unfortunately predicted grades don’t mean a lot nowadays as lots of students get straight a or a* predictions. But id still ask all the unis for feedback.

You could dip your toe into clearing on results day, you could always compile a list of unis you would be happy attending, try on results day, if it doesn’t work then re-apply next grades in hand.
Reply 13
Original post by mnot
Hmm I guess applying for what I assume are all super competitive unis has its risks, I suspect part of the difficulty may have been universities are making fewer offers due to grade inflation, and unfortunately predicted grades don’t mean a lot nowadays as lots of students get straight a or a* predictions. But id still ask all the unis for feedback.

You could dip your toe into clearing on results day, you could always compile a list of unis you would be happy attending, try on results day, if it doesn’t work then re-apply next grades in hand.

Yea I should have also decided on dropping physics before I applied to make sure that that wouldn’t affect the decision. Thanks for the advice
I think the problem may be your remaining subjects since some unis will consider Maths and FM to be too similar to be counted as 2 separate subjects, unless you are applying for Maths courses. Of course you also applied to very competitive unis so that won't have helped. It's likely that you would have got offers for Maths, but not for CS.

If you don't get an offer from Kings, you will be able to make other choices (one at a time) through UCAS Extra so you don't have to wait for Clearing. But contact the unis first to check that they are happy with your subject combination.
Reply 15
Original post by harrysbar
I think the problem may be your remaining subjects since some unis will consider Maths and FM to be too similar to be counted as 2 separate subjects, unless you are applying for Maths courses. Of course you also applied to very competitive unis so that won't have helped. It's likely that you would have got offers for Maths, but not for CS.

If you don't get an offer from Kings, you will be able to make other choices (one at a time) through UCAS Extra so you don't have to wait for Clearing. But contact the unis first to check that they are happy with your subject combination.

They all count further maths as a 3rd a level for computer science, I contacted all of them about this. Yes I forgot about UCAS Extra that’s something I’ll definitely be doing if I don’t get kings.
They all count further maths as a 3rd a level for computer science, I contacted all of them about this. Yes I forgot about UCAS Extra that’s something I’ll definitely be doing if I don’t get kings.

Ok it's good that you checked before applying so it probably won't be that. Hard to know what the problem is in that case but unis do like to be asked before applicants drop a subject.

In any case, onwards and upwards... there will be other good options in Extra.

Quick Reply

Latest