The Student Room Group

My UCAS offer Lower than Typical offers listed on website.

Hello to whoever is reading. I got an offer back today for 88 UCAS points even though the entry requirements on their course webpage is 112. I know that this is a good thing however I can't help but think that it's for a negative reason such as no one is choosing this course for a reason I cannot see, the course is financial trading and investment this is a pretty niche course and this is the only university running it. Am I reading into this too much. Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Hey, I wouldn’t worry about it too much unis give reduced offers for loads of reasons, is it possible the offer was contextual? It may be because they saw your personal statement and loved it. Or you might be rights and its because no one is signing up for the course. Either way as long as you like the degree and can see yourself at the uni for 3/4 years then all of that doesn’t matter. Try not to stress over things that could have a million different explanations
Don't worry about it.
'Typical offer' is exactly that and many Uni make lower offers for whole range of reasons.
If that's your offer, that is what you need to meet.
May be a contextual offer. Doesn't really matter in the end.
Hey,

I had a question I wanted to ask:
I want to study PPE at King’s College London, The universities standard entry requirements are A*AA with a 7 in GCSE maths.

I hold a 7 in GCSE maths. What I wanted to ask you was If I was to be predicted AAB and if I was to apply to KCL with that, although this does not match there minimum entry requirement, I am eligible for a contextual offer of up to 2 grades because of; the school I attend; the postcode; my household income; and being the first generation to go to university. Along with that, I recently found out that I had been accepted to attending the King’s College London’s Summer School for Law, because of that by attending a widening participation programme of King’s increases my chances of receiving a contextual offer.

What I wanted to ask you was, do I have to be predicted A*AA, AND then would I receive a contextual offer once the university receives my application OR could I apply with AAB (which is already 2 grades taken off the standard requirement) and possibly receive an offer?
Reply 5
Original post by LizzyO
Hey, I wouldn’t worry about it too much unis give reduced offers for loads of reasons, is it possible the offer was contextual? It may be because they saw your personal statement and loved it. Or you might be rights and its because no one is signing up for the course. Either way as long as you like the degree and can see yourself at the uni for 3/4 years then all of that doesn’t matter. Try not to stress over things that could have a million different explanations

Thank you for your reply. I really love everything about this course, I just can't help but think it's too good to be true xD. my paranoia is due to a combination of things and this sort of just added on top of those things. Do you think that it's a concern if the course doesn't have a professional, statutory and regulatory body, there are no professional accreditations for the course.
Reply 6
Original post by _gcx
May be a contextual offer. Doesn't really matter in the end.

thanks for the reply would make sense because I tried to cater my statement towards this course.
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Don't worry about it.
'Typical offer' is exactly that and many Uni make lower offers for whole range of reasons.
If that's your offer, that is what you need to meet.

thanks for the reply
Reply 8
Original post by yousufishaq2004
Hey,

I want to study PPE at King’s College London, The universities standard entry requirements are A*AA with a 7 in GCSE maths.

I hold a 7 in GCSE maths. What I wanted to ask you was If I was to be predicted AAB and if I was to apply to KCL with that, although this does not match there minimum entry requirement, I am eligible for a contextual offer of up to 2 grades because of; the school I attend; the postcode; my household income; and being the first generation to go to university. Along with that, I recently found out that I had been accepted to attending the King’s College London’s Summer School for Law, because of that by attending a widening participation programme of King’s increases my chances of receiving a contextual offer.

What I wanted to ask you was, do I have to be predicted A*AA, AND then would I receive a contextual offer once the university receives my application OR could I apply with AAB (which is already 2 grades taken off the standard requirement) and possibly receive an offer?

I applied to sheffield hallam with entry requirements of 112 ucas points and they gave me a reduced offer by 3 grades (88 ucas points) so I don't think that it'll be impossible. I'm not 100 percent sure tho. Hope this is helpful.
Hey,

If you are sure that you qualify for a contextual offer, then you will still be considered if your predictions are in line with that rather than the standard offer.
Reply 10
Original post by KieranLT
Thank you for your reply. I really love everything about this course, I just can't help but think it's too good to be true xD. my paranoia is due to a combination of things and this sort of just added on top of those things. Do you think that it's a concern if the course doesn't have a professional, statutory and regulatory body, there are no professional accreditations for the course.

No problem :smile: I’m not particularly versed with the finance industry but most employers don’t particularly care about whether or not your course is accredited. An accredited course basically just has a stamp of approval that it covers particular areas in depth. Maybe look around at industry leaders or potential employers and see what skills they’re looking for from new graduates and see if it matches up to your course.
this thread is a mess
Hello to whoever is reading. I got an offer back today for 88 UCAS points even though the entry requirements on their course webpage is 112. I know that this is a good thing however I can't help but think that it's for a negative reason such as no one is choosing this course for a reason I cannot see, the course is financial trading and investment this is a pretty niche course and this is the only university running it. Am I reading into this too much. Thanks in advance

Hey I had the same thing as I applied for law with criminology for September 2021. I applied for Worcester and their requirements was 120 and I got offered 96. I had a contextual offer and they emailed me a letter to say that I stood out in my application, which I did think um this is for law now. I hope this helps and we'll done on getting it 👍
I applied to Nottingham for maths and their standard offer is A*AA but they offered me AAB (now gone down to ABB due to covid) so I wouldn't worry as it just shows they're eager for you to firm them! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by stillcrying
I applied to Nottingham for maths and their standard offer is A*AA but they offered me AAB (now gone down to ABB due to covid) so I wouldn't worry as it just shows they're eager for you to firm them! :smile:

wow that's a really good offer.
wow that's a really good offer.

may i ask were you predicted A*AA?
may i ask were you predicted A*AA?

Yeah I believe I was, or at least, I’m on track to get A*AA. I don’t have further maths, but I have visited Nottingham before when I did Sutton scholars in high school so that may have been a factor. May be contextual, or extenuating circumstances too.

yeah unis will do this for a number of reasons maybe you have a really good PS or for some other reason they really want you maybe there don't have many people applying for that course and wit a lower offer they might get enough people to be able to run it don't over think it i'm sure it's not a huge issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending