The Student Room Group

Failed First Year Med School

Undergrad med student here,

Honestly, I have struggled a lot this year and it has reflected on my grades. Being the cohort without any in person lectures meant that I was stuck at home. For many, being at home helped them go through lectures better and faster but for me, the lack of structure and lack of “experience” meant I was very demotivated. Furthermore, my anxiety heightened just as I started med school and currently struggling while waiting for treatment.
I somehow, by a miracle, managed to pass my first set of exams. However, this has put me at a great disadvantage since I’m on the borderline and calculated that for me to pass this year I need an 80% in my next exam (my exams are weighted differently). That being said, there is no way I can get a whooping 80% realistically.
I have talked to my tutors and I accidentally made it seem like I’m doing okay instead of emphasising that I’m coping. Their approach to my struggles seem to always be “poor studying skills”. The workload and understanding is not the problem for me, but rather is the self doubt and fatigue that anxiety brings that is the problem. I’m also on a medication that could be the culprit as it’s known to cause mood swings and other mental health problems (finishing the meds next month)

I’m looking into resitting but how bad is it if my decile is really low for this year? I still have my eyes on a career in Cardiology
Original post by ShikaMekiFuka

Honestly, I have struggled a lot this year and it has reflected on my grades. Being the cohort without any in person lectures meant that I was stuck at home. For many, being at home helped them go through lectures better and faster but for me, the lack of structure and lack of “experience” meant I was very demotivated. Furthermore, my anxiety heightened just as I started med school and currently struggling while waiting for treatment.
I somehow, by a miracle, managed to pass my first set of exams. However, this has put me at a great disadvantage since I’m on the borderline and calculated that for me to pass this year I need an 80% in my next exam (my exams are weighted differently). That being said, there is no way I can get a whooping 80% realistically.
I have talked to my tutors and I accidentally made it seem like I’m doing okay instead of emphasising that I’m coping. Their approach to my struggles seem to always be “poor studying skills”. The workload and understanding is not the problem for me, but rather is the self doubt and fatigue that anxiety brings that is the problem. I’m also on a medication that could be the culprit as it’s known to cause mood swings and other mental health problems (finishing the meds next month)

I’m looking into resitting but how bad is it if my decile is really low for this year? I still have my eyes on a career in Cardiology

So sorry that your year has been really difficult. Concentrate on your health, and just doing the best that you can. Have another word with your supervisors, or just go past them to whoever your med school has set up for pastoral support.
From the decile point of view, i would just not worry about it at the moment. For all we know, UKFPO might make a huge change by the time you get to choose your deanery, the med school may only use the post covid year scores, and it is unlikely to affect your core or run through anyway.
One step at a time. Anxiety often leads to catastrophising the future, increasing worry. In this case the future can sort itself out later. It’s your here and now that you need to focus on and get support for.
All the best.
How have you failed the year? Are results already out for you? Maybe you're over stressing about a module? Why would you need to get 80% in you next set of exams if you have passed the first set ? :s-smilie:

But yes, as the post above me says, concentrate on yourself for now and focus on your health
might be able to offer some advice on next steps for you if you do fail the year and/or things to consider as you progress in the course. From what I've read others say on here it's probably too early to be "set" on any one specialty yet as well, particularly as you probably won't have actually done any clinical work in that specialty yet and won't necessarily know if you even like working in it. The scientific basis for some physiological process or anatomical feature may be interesting in the abstract academic context but that may or may not translate to the realities of the job!
Original post by AstaYunoo
How have you failed the year? Are results already out for you? Maybe you're over stressing about a module? Why would you need to get 80% in you next set of exams if you have passed the first set ? :s-smilie:

But yes, as the post above me says, concentrate on yourself for now and focus on your health

My results are not out yet. I admit I am not sure about how they exactly pass student but I went off with the weighing of each assessments and students anecdotes. Probably wrong but I doubt my performance on this exam will be enough for a passing grade as this one is the most important one.

thank you, I’ll try my best to focus on myself these upcoming months. There’s an option to resit in late summer which seems probable at this point but I am sure I’ll be better mentally then. Just dreading the conversations with my tutor who thinks I’m ready and it’s just down to lack of confidence. I guess, the only thing I’m worried about is being let go because I can’t see myself doing another degree but I doubt they’ll make that happen
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
@ecolier might be able to offer some advice on next steps for you if you do fail the year and/or things to consider as you progress in the course. From what I've read others say on here it's probably too early to be "set" on any one specialty yet as well, particularly as you probably won't have actually done any clinical work in that specialty yet and won't necessarily know if you even like working in it. The scientific basis for some physiological process or anatomical feature may be interesting in the abstract academic context but that may or may not translate to the realities of the job!

Thank you. I agree, it is too early to decide and I’m not helping myself with overthinking about the future. One step at a time, I guess.

The thread title says you've failed first year but by the sounds of your post you have yet to actually sit the exams. Or have you done them and now you're waiting for the results? It's important not to get into a mindset of futility. Is 80% actually as unachievable as it sounds? Don't forget that medical school exams are indeed weighted and calculated differently to non-medical honours degrees - getting a score of 80% might be more achievable in your specific medical degree than most other degrees (where it would be considered a very strong 1st).

It's interesting that your tutors have mentioned poor study skills - what do they mean by this?

If your medical school operates a "fit to sit" exam policy then it is very much in your interests to declare any relevant health issues to them beforehand i.e. now, or it may be something to bear in mind for the future if you have already done the exams.

I wouldn't worry about deciles and cardiology - there is a long time to go before that point and plenty of opportunities to do well.

I'm so sorry to hear all this, and I do hope it works out :hugs:

Have you actually told the med school about your anxiety and medication issues? I would ABSOLUTELY flag this as soon as you possibly can because it sounds like you'd be a dead cert for mit circs, and then if you do need to resit you have that cushion.

I would also make sure you are 100% sure how your exams work and the resit procedure works, so you feel confident in next steps. Being honest with personal tutors is really important because they can't help you if they don't know you're struggling, and not disclosing medical issues can be a FTP issue potentially. Also, from a personal perspective, you may want to take some time out or have more support.

I wouldn't worry about deciles - does your uni even count first year for that? Also, there's loads of opportunites to get prizes and stuff later on, and deciles aren't part of specialty training selection atm, just prizes. As said that may even change, and even if you were aiming for neurosurgery you can always make up a poor med school performance with other things, just may need a F3 or something. Focus on your health and passing the year instead I'd say :smile:
Have you spoken to pastoral support? If you don’t get the grade this time, could you do some extra study over the summer? I’m sure the medical school will be open for discussion. Talk to them. I hope things start to look up for you.

Whilst what you say sounds somewhat convincing, most of the threads on TSR which say 'I've failed' actually they haven't even taken their exams yet (which you fall into), and actually in the end... most pass. Work hard and smart and see what happens.

It sounds like you are seeking support somewhat, but you clearly have diagnoses established - make sure the uni knows all about it and is offering any support they have. Aside from possibly helping, that will also come in handy should you fail.

And with regards to the above - don't worry about that. Whether first year counts at all depends on med school. If it does, its likely to be small weighting, and as mentioned above - the whole system may have changed by the time you are applying. Put that aside - just pass.
Original post by nexttime
Whilst what you say sounds somewhat convincing, most of the threads on TSR which say 'I've failed' actually they haven't even taken their exams yet (which you fall into), and actually in the end... most pass. Work hard and smart and see what happens.

It sounds like you are seeking support somewhat, but you clearly have diagnoses established - make sure the uni knows all about it and is offering any support they have. Aside from possibly helping, that will also come in handy should you fail.

And with regards to the above - don't worry about that. Whether first year counts at all depends on med school. If it does, its likely to be small weighting, and as mentioned above - the whole system may have changed by the time you are applying. Put that aside - just pass.

Just to highlight one point - does the OP have any psychological diagnosis established? The wording of the OP is peculiarly vague that I assume (s)he is referring to Roacuatane for acne [as the medication (s)he is taking] rather than an anti-anxiolytic medication.
If you feeling particularly anxious / worried about depression, it is worth speaking to your GP and the university for support. This would also show the medical school - if you were not to pass - that you are seeking help as nexttime has said.

Obviously I may have interpreted the post completely wrong but would rather state the above just in case :smile:

If it makes you feel any better, I thought I failed all my med school exams and somehow passed. It's easy to remember everything you got wrong rather than everything you got right.... It's not the end of the World either way - just look after yourself and your wellbeing as number one :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi there, saw this and thought I'd reply as someone who has just finished their final exams and is ready to start F1 in my top choice deanery.

I failed my first year and it was a lot to do with motivation for studying and not coping with being away from home as such a young undergrad with lots of social things going on at home. I really questioned whether I was capable of doing Medicine at that point and all I can say at this point is that failing first year was the best thing I could have done. It made me work so much harder in subsequent years because I knew it was my only chance of continuing on towards becoming a Dr and that's not mentioning the amazing friends I could have never met if I hadn't done first year twice.

From what it sounds like, you haven't failed yet and there's still a resit on the horizon which gives you another chance too. Anyway, my advice would be to:
- make a schedule for studying for a resit and stick to it! (with fun times included!)
- don't give up if this is what you really want
- talk to your support system about how you're struggling
- don't worry too much about the future, things will fall into place

I can't believe I even considered giving up - I am where I want to be now and going to where I want to go so don't feel as though it's the end of the world because in the scheme of things, one year is nothing and it could end up being an extra year that adds a lot of value to your overall time at uni! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there, saw this and thought I'd reply as someone who has just finished their final exams and is ready to start F1 in my top choice deanery.

I failed my first year and it was a lot to do with motivation for studying and not coping with being away from home as such a young undergrad with lots of social things going on at home. I really questioned whether I was capable of doing Medicine at that point and all I can say at this point is that failing first year was the best thing I could have done. It made me work so much harder in subsequent years because I knew it was my only chance of continuing on towards becoming a Dr and that's not mentioning the amazing friends I could have never met if I hadn't done first year twice.

From what it sounds like, you haven't failed yet and there's still a resit on the horizon which gives you another chance too. Anyway, my advice would be to:
- make a schedule for studying for a resit and stick to it! (with fun times included!)
- don't give up if this is what you really want
- talk to your support system about how you're struggling
- don't worry too much about the future, things will fall into place

I can't believe I even considered giving up - I am where I want to be now and going to where I want to go so don't feel as though it's the end of the world because in the scheme of things, one year is nothing and it could end up being an extra year that adds a lot of value to your overall time at uni! :smile:

Honestly, thank you so much for this response it really did make me feel so much better. I just received my final exam results for first year this morning and have failed one of my papers by <1% despite having passed all of my other exams at 80-90% which has really discouraged me. It's still a bit of a shock to me but after a lot of tears and panic, I've decided that the best thing for me is to think things through and start preparing for my August resit.

Seeing older med students who have gone through the same situation and are now doing really well is a great comfort and has helped to calm me down a great deal. I'll try not to get too demotivated as this is not the end!

Quick Reply

Latest