The Student Room Group

Do I need textbooks for uni?

Hi,

Okay, so I’ve heard that you need to buy textbooks for Uni and that they’re very expensive. I might be studying Sociology and Criminology in September, but I haven’t applied for a maintenance loan or DSA. Also, I don’t think I’ll be able to manage a part time job to pay off my expenses. What do I do?
Original post by RosesOnRaindrops
Hi,

Okay, so I’ve heard that you need to buy textbooks for Uni and that they’re very expensive. I might be studying Sociology and Criminology in September, but I haven’t applied for a maintenance loan or DSA. Also, I don’t think I’ll be able to manage a part time job to pay off my expenses. What do I do?

Hi there, please clarify exactly what the question is? Are you wondering how to apply for a Maintenance Loan?
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, please clarify exactly what the question is? Are you wondering how to apply for a Maintenance Loan?
Thanks, Isaac

It would be too late to apply for a maintenance loan; the deadline is this May, as you know. I don’t really know what to do, it looks like I won’t be going to uni this year.
It would be too late to apply for a maintenance loan; the deadline is this May, as you know. I don’t really know what to do, it looks like I won’t be going to uni this year.

The deadline to apply isn't in May, that's a deadline to receive funding on time. If you apply after May, the funding could be delayed.

You have up until 9 months after the start of the academic year to apply.
Why can't you apply now?
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
The deadline to apply isn't in May, that's a deadline to receive funding on time. If you apply after May, the funding could be delayed.

You have up until 9 months after the start of the academic year to apply.
Why can't you apply now?
Thanks, Isaac

I don’t know how to apply for it. Also, on top of that I don’t know how to apply for DSA.
I don’t know how to apply for it. Also, on top of that I don’t know how to apply for DSA.

Please follow these step by step instructions https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance and https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa/how-to-claim
Thanks, Isaac

The paperwork process is quite daunting; I don’t think I can do it on my own. I’m struggling to get medical evidence from my GP and booking an assessment centre.
The paperwork process is quite daunting; I don’t think I can do it on my own. I’m struggling to get medical evidence from my GP and booking an assessment centre.

You can apply for the Maintenance Loan without applying for DSA, you could apply for the DSA later after speaking with your university and they have disability advisors who will be able to assist you.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending