The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford or Imperial?

I'm really confused as to whether I want to apply to both, or just one or the other. Has anyone applied to both, and if so why? And if you've applied to just one of them, why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qxi.xli
I'm really confused as to whether I want to apply to both, or just one or the other. Has anyone applied to both, and if so why? And if you've applied to just one of them, why?

I haven't applied to either of them but most of the people do: 2 reaches, 2 matches and 1 safety. So in your case oxford and imperial would be 2 reaches. Some people also do 2 reaches and 3 matches, which is ok if you are super confident you can achieved your predicted grades or if you have already achieved them
Reply 2
I applied to Cambridge and Imperial, that way I had two shots at top 3 universities. Imperial was my “back up” Uni.
I didn’t get into Cambridge, and now i’m glad I also applied to Imperial
Apply to both. They're both hard to get into, so by applying to both (for the same course) you have a higher probability of being accepted to at least one of them. I'd then say apply to somewhere mid-range, where it's still hard to get into but not as difficult. Then two safeties.

That's what I did - I applied to Cambridge & LSE for Econ (both offer rates below 20%), then UCL w/ a 30ish% offer rate for Econ, then Warwick w/ 50% and finally Bath, as a safety.
Got rejected by UCL & Cambridge - yet got an offer from LSE, so I'm glad I applied :smile: x
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by XanaXoid
I haven't applied to either of them but most of the people do: 2 reaches, 2 matches and 1 safety. So in your case oxford and imperial would be 2 reaches. Some people also do 2 reaches and 3 matches, which is ok if you are super confident you can achieved your predicted grades or if you have already achieved them

this is so helpful thanks xx
how likely is it you get rejected from your two matches though lol? If you know that you match their entry requirements?
Original post by JGLM
I applied to Cambridge and Imperial, that way I had two shots at top 3 universities. Imperial was my “back up” Uni.
I didn’t get into Cambridge, and now i’m glad I also applied to Imperial

thanks, what did you apply for?
Reply 6
Original post by Qxi.xli
thanks, what did you apply for?

Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
Original post by JGLM
Electronic and Electrical Engineering.

Good luck! :smile:
Subject? What do you like and not like about them? What is the alternative?
Reply 9
I think most people at Imperial also applied to Oxford or Cambridge.

Even if you get rejected from both, doesn't matter too much - you only really need two offers. Pretty much everywhere else, a large majority of physics/engineering applicants get offers.
Original post by Qxi.xli
this is so helpful thanks xx
how likely is it you get rejected from your two matches though lol? If you know that you match their entry requirements?

It really depends on your predicted grade. If you have 3A*'s you can consider Durham (A*AA requirement) as a match, bristol ( AAA) as a lower match but still a match, and manchester (AAB) as a safety. But if you have A*AA maybe applying to Durham is not the best choice if you already apply to Oxford and Imperial. This example is totally made up and I hope it could explain a bit more my reasoning. I think @confuzzledteen explained the same idea but way better than me
(edited 2 years ago)
Have a look at both the courses contents too, (the modules will likely differ between universities especially for 2/3rd year) and also how you’ll be assessed etc. :smile:
Original post by Sinnoh
I think most people at Imperial also applied to Oxford or Cambridge.

Even if you get rejected from both, doesn't matter too much - you only really need two offers. Pretty much everywhere else, a large majority of physics/engineering applicants get offers.

Original post by nexttime
Subject? What do you like and not like about them? What is the alternative?

For Physics. I'm just confused if I want to apply to oxford since I don't know whether I'd enjoy that environment for 4 years. On the other hand, it would be like a dream come true if I do get in, and I've heard that other Unis think of you as a better candidate if they can see you've applied for early entry. But at the same time, I don't know if it'd be a waste a uni option since if I don't get into either Oxford or Cambridge, I'd like to study in London (for ex. maybe UCL or LSE), but would two unis in London count as two matches? Since they're still fairly hard to get into? I'm just trying to hedge my bets here lol. :/

Sorry if that made absolutely no sense.
Original post by Qxi.xli
For Physics. I'm just confused if I want to apply to oxford since I don't know whether I'd enjoy that environment for 4 years.

Why don't you expand, so people can agree/refute.

How do you think Imperial will differ to that perception?

...and I've heard that other Unis think of you as a better candidate if they can see you've applied for early entry.

I'm not sure that's true, but even if it is, you can apply early without applying to Oxbridge surely!

But at the same time, I don't know if it'd be a waste a uni option since if I don't get into either Oxford or Cambridge, I'd like to study in London (for ex. maybe UCL or LSE),

Because you like the city of London, and aren't afraid of the cost? The Oxbridge cities are vastly smaller than London you know right - how important is the city to you?

You still haven't really given us any kind of advantages/disadvantages list so its hard to comment. I guess academics would be important too, though I'm guessing 'very good' is probably a fair summary.
Reply 14
Original post by Qxi.xli
For Physics. I'm just confused if I want to apply to oxford since I don't know whether I'd enjoy that environment for 4 years. On the other hand, it would be like a dream come true if I do get in, and I've heard that other Unis think of you as a better candidate if they can see you've applied for early entry. But at the same time, I don't know if it'd be a waste a uni option since if I don't get into either Oxford or Cambridge, I'd like to study in London (for ex. maybe UCL or LSE), but would two unis in London count as two matches? Since they're still fairly hard to get into? I'm just trying to hedge my bets here lol. :/

LSE? :confused:

Physics at UCL isn't too competitive, offer rate is > 70%. I think the usual offer there is AAA too so that's a bit lower than Imperial's. Anyway if you think early entry has an advantage (not that it does, in and of itself) then you don't need to apply to Oxford in order to apply early anyway.

Fair enough if you're uncertain about Oxford, not everyone brings their mad A-level study habits to uni with them. Just make sure that if you apply, you're applying there for the course and the work and not simply the idea of being at Oxford.
Original post by Qxi.xli

Lse doesn't offer physics, so you should remove it from your list of possible unis.
As already stated you should check the modules that you like but this is a possible list of I would consider each uni.
Reaches: Oxford and Imperial
Matches: Durham ( don't ask why their requirements is A*A*A but the offer rate is 76% which is really high), and UCL ( AAA and offer rate 70%, not sure about this data because it's not from the uni website like Durham)
Safties: I would put an AAB/ABB uni but I'm not sure which one could be, probably kings is an AAB with a 91% offer rate
I mean I've heard it's a very strange environment. My friend's dad went there, and although he finished studying there, he didn't like the environment. :frown: Not sure how Imperial would be any different, but it *seems* more laid back than Oxford??

That's true actually.

Yes. And also, I think the Unis there are generally higher ranked? I know a lot of people say league tables mean nothing, but I still care about them lol..

:smile:
Original post by nexttime
Why don't you expand, so people can agree/refute.

How do you think Imperial will differ to that perception?

I'm not sure that's true, but even if it is, you can apply early without applying to Oxbridge surely!

Because you like the city of London, and aren't afraid of the cost? The Oxbridge cities are vastly smaller than London you know right - how important is the city to you?

You still haven't really given us any kind of advantages/disadvantages list so its hard to comment. I guess academics would be important too, though I'm guessing 'very good' is probably a fair summary.
Original post by Sinnoh
LSE? :confused:

Physics at UCL isn't too competitive, offer rate is > 70%. I think the usual offer there is AAA too so that's a bit lower than Imperial's. Anyway if you think early entry has an advantage (not that it does, in and of itself) then you don't need to apply to Oxford in order to apply early anyway.

Fair enough if you're uncertain about Oxford, not everyone brings their mad A-level study habits to uni with them. Just make sure that if you apply, you're applying there for the course and the work and not simply the idea of being at Oxford.

oh yeah LSE doesn't do Physics
that's really comforting to hear, I didn't know that, thanks x
yeah :smile:

By the way, since you study Physics, this may be a stupid question but do all unis have an entrance test for Physics (like the PAT)? Or do they generally focus more on PS, grades and the interview? :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by XanaXoid
Lse doesn't offer physics, so you should remove it from your list of possible unis.
As already stated you should check the modules that you like but this is a possible list of I would consider each uni.
Reaches: Oxford and Imperial
Matches: Durham ( don't ask why their requirements is A*A*A but the offer rate is 76% which is really high), and UCL ( AAA and offer rate 70%, not sure about this data because it's not from the uni website like Durham)
Safties: I would put an AAB/ABB uni but I'm not sure which one could be, probably kings is an AAB with a 91% offer rate

Thank you!!
Reply 19
Original post by Qxi.xli
oh yeah LSE doesn't do Physics
that's really comforting to hear, I didn't know that, thanks x
yeah :smile:

By the way, since you study Physics, this may be a stupid question but do all unis have an entrance test for Physics (like the PAT)? Or do they generally focus more on PS, grades and the interview? :smile:

PAT is exclusive to Oxford, NSAA is exclusive to Cambridge. Unis generally don't have admissions tests for physics, but I think Imperial are introducing one and scrapping the interview for physics (hopefully there'll be some offer holder visit day to replace that). Of the unis I applied to (Birmingham, Warwick, Soton, Cambridge & Imperial) only Cambridge had an admissions test and only at Cambridge and Imperial was an interview necessary to get an offer. Southampton had an optional interview where you could get maybe get a reduced offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending