The Student Room Group

I told my mum I wanted to convert to Islam and she assumed I was being radicalised

I am 14 and have been considering converting to Islam for a while. I have all the best intentions and I am doing this willingly and based of off research and deep interest. However, my mum quickly shut it down, assuming I was bein radicalised. At this point I have just decided it is best to wait (or not consider it at all). Any advice?
I forgot to mention my mum was once a Muslim and converted to Christianity at around my age.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Male or female?
Reply 2
I am a female
Original post by HappyToes
I am 14 and have been considering converting to Islam for a while. I have all the best intentions and I am doing this willingly and based of off research and deep interest. However, my mum quickly shut it down, assuming I was bein radicalised. At this point I have just decided it is best to wait (or not consider it at all). Any advice?

Hi, I’m a Muslim and have been since I was born, so I might be able to help. Firstly, can I ask why you would like to convert to Islam?
Reply 4
Original post by RosesOnRaindrops
Hi, I’m a Muslim and have been since I was born, so I might be able to help. Firstly, can I ask why you would like to convert to Islam?

This all started with a slight interest for religion. I started watching more and more videos about Islam and how Muslims live on a day to day. I also started learning some Arabic and noticed that a lot of what I was learning were Islamic phrases. This interest then grew deeper and I started praying five times a day in secret and reading the Quran. I just felt closer to God. My relationship with him has not been so strong. This all grew and grew and led to the idea of reverting.
https://blog.hautehijab.com/post/8-honest-tips-for-reverts-dealing-with-a-disapproving-non-muslim-family

Muslim Youth Helpline is a national award winning charity providing free and confidential, faith and culturally sensitive support services to Muslim youth in the UK.
www.myh.org.uk

and I suppose just educating yourself on Islam from a variety of reliable sources so you're well equipped to assess your own beliefs and answer any questions your mother may have.

found these after a quick internet search ! :smile: I wouldn't really be able to offer any other advice as I've had the opposite problem haha
(edited 2 years ago)
Perhaps if you discuss with your mum her conversion path you may gain better understanding of her response. Equally, if your mum has knowledge of that religion, perhaps she is a useful source of information for your own learning.
Reply 7
Personally I am a girl from Tunisia. I am muslim and I can tell you some things. Islam isn’t easy and it’s very hard to practice . You have to avoid a lot of things and requires a lot of discipline. I don’t really think at 14 living with your parents it will be easy, not to mention most of your classmates or friends will not be muslim. At your age, you are still a child and this might be your ‘phase’. Idk but if want to be a Muslim you can do a shahada. But you must fast , pray , avoid pork or alcohol or drugs etc. No bikinis or swimsuits either . Tbh you might as well stay Christian or maybe consider changing at uni, 18-21 because at your age I don’t seen it working out much. You and your parents will clash. Good luck 😉
Whilst many points being raised here are compelling, this thread is to give OP advice about how to best approach this subject with parents.
This thread is not to persuade OP out of a choice they have made.
If they were unsure about the choice, that would have been the focus of the thread.
So please consider what kind of advice is most help to OP when posting.
:wink:
Reminder: This thread is not a negotation.
The purpose of this thread is to advise OP about her relationship with her Mother - that is all.
If you wish to make cases for or against particular faiths, the religion forum is where you need to look.
You can find the TSR Community Guidelines here if you want to learn more about the importance of threads staying constructive and within the relevant topic.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Lmko
Personally I am a girl from Tunisia. I am muslim and I can tell you some things. Islam isn’t easy and it’s very hard to practice . You have to avoid a lot of things and requires a lot of discipline. I don’t really think at 14 living with your parents it will be easy, not to mention most of your classmates or friends will not be muslim. At your age, you are still a child and this might be your ‘phase’. Idk but if want to be a Muslim you can do a shahada. But you must fast , pray , avoid pork or alcohol or drugs etc. No bikinis or swimsuits either . Tbh you might as well stay Christian or maybe consider changing at uni, 18-21 because at your age I don’t seen it working out much. You and your parents will clash. Good luck 😉

Astagfirullah. If God wants to show him the guidances then who are you saying to stop and saying Islam it’s hard?

And whoever Allah guides, there is none that can mislead.
i’m muslim myself and i hope to strengthen my relationship with god like you have inshallah😌

Idk why nobody’s giving actual advice about your situation and respecting your decision lol but i’ll answer your question (i have 0 expertise in this topic lol so i’ll try)

You could try explain to your mum why you want to become a muslim and say just like she had her reasons for leaving the religion, you have the reasons to leave christianity too. I understand tho she may not listen to this so you can convert perhaps at a mosque with an expert (if you have any muslim friends that are willing to help you/take you that’d be nice!) or at home and then you’ll have to practise in private but inshallah once she sees how at peace you feel she’ll accept that fact. For now, ensure that you are 100% ready to give up certain things etc etc. Stay strong, feel free to pm me. Nobody’s perfect and we all make mistakes so don’t feel like you need to follow EVERY rule at first, just do your best
Reply 12
Original post by Lmko
Christianity and Judaism are great religions too. I am being honest, Islam is hard . Alcohol, nightclubs, pork are all not allowed. If they live in a western country and don’t have muslim parents , they will struggle .

I agree there will be some difficult situations and it won’t be easy to leave them and we shouldn’t forget that

“Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear…” (Qur'an, 2:286). ... Or will you realize that what you are going through is something you know you can handle because you are His creation! and ALLAH loves His creations!

And another verse of Quran, But what is the enjoyment of worldly life compared to the hereafter except a (very) little.”
Reply 13
Original post by Lmko

Thank you for this advice! Right now I will continue to practice Christianity and see if I really want to convert down the line.
Reply 14
Original post by HappyToes
Thank you for this advice! Right now I will continue to practice Christianity and see if I really want to convert down the line.

Yes definitely. Christianity is a good religion especially ones who take their faith seriously respect

If you are older and in university or working, then you could look into islam ☪️ If you find a muslim partner like a husband or boyfriend it will be easier for you. Good luck.
It's not hard to see why she's worried. most people would prefer their kid to be Christian rather than muslim. Christianity is less restrictive
Original post by Lmko

Wow, just Astaghfirullah. You really just took her out of the idea of reverting to Islam. Tomorrow isn’t promised, we could sleep tonight and not wake up the next morning. You suggesting her to wait, but what if something happens to her before that?
It’s like the people who say I’ll pray tomorrow everyday and then it’s too late for them.

Islam is as hard as you make it. Your surroundings have a huge impact. Allah (SWT) guides whom He wills
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by zz2002
Wow, just Astaghfirullah. You really just took her out of the idea of reverting to Islam. Tomorrow isn’t promised, we could sleep tonight and not wake up the next morning. You suggesting her to wait, but what if something happens to her before that?
It’s like the people who say I’ll pray tomorrow everyday and then it’s too late for them.

Islam is as hard as you make it. Your surroundings have a huge impact. Allah (SWT) guides whom He wills & if you have Allah (SWT) by your side everything gets easier. Islam is easy, it’s us Muslims who make it harder.

Asking someone to stay as a Kafir is such a bad advice.

Strongly agreed. I was shocked when i saw that response especially from a Muslim.
Original post by Lmko

Original post by zz2002

Islam is as hard as you make it. Your surroundings have a huge impact. Allah (SWT) guides whom He wills

On my app it’s showing me that half of what I’ve wrote is missing. So I’ll paste it down here again.

Islam is as hard as you make it. Your surroundings have a huge impact. Allah (SWT) guides whom He wills & if you have Allah (SWT) by your side everything gets easier. Islam is easy, it’s us Muslims who make it harder.

Asking someone to stay as a Kafir is such a bad advice from a Muslim. I’m genuinely lost for words!
Reply 19
Original post by zz2002

They are a still a child, it’s not right to pressure them to convert. you cannot make decisions like choosing your religion at 14. When she is an adult she can decide. But OP, Christianity is a great religion and they are called people of the book in Islam . Continue with your worship and faith. In fact in Islam , churches should be protected .Islam is a peaceful and good religion, I’m proud to be a muslim. if OP ever needs any help or guidance, you can talk to any muslim or even make muslim friends online or in real life . Good luck to OP

Latest

Trending

Trending