The Student Room Group

A level maths

Hi,

Does anyone know how to answer the AQA A-level maths stats 2021 assessment resources. More specifically the final question.

Elizabeth's bakery makes brownies. It is known that the mass, X grams, of a brownie may be modelled by normal distribution. 10% of the brownies have a mass of less than 30g. 80% of the brownies have a mass that is greater than 32.5g.
a) Find the mean and standard devisation of X. (7)
b)
i) P(X=/35) (1) --doesn't equal 35
ii) P(X<35) (2)
c) Brownies are baked in batches of 13. Calculate the probability that, in a batch of brownies, no more than 3 brownies are less than 35 grams. YOu may assume that the masses of the brownies are independent of each other (2)
Original post by HollyAJb
Hi,

Does anyone know how to answer the AQA A-level maths stats 2021 assessment resources. More specifically the final question.

Elizabeth's bakery makes brownies. It is known that the mass, X grams, of a brownie may be modelled by normal distribution. 10% of the brownies have a mass of less than 30g. 80% of the brownies have a mass that is greater than 32.5g.
b)
ii) P(X<35) (2)
c) Brownies are baked in batches of 13. Calculate the probability that, in a batch of brownies, no more than 3 brownies are less than 35 grams. YOu may assume that the masses of the brownies are independent of each other (2)

sure i did it the other day do you want just the answers or how you get them too?
Reply 2
Original post by ImperfectSwift27
sure i did it the other day do you want just the answers or how you get them too?

Please note the forum guidelines - you should only be posting hints and guidance for those areas where the OP has tried some working and got stuck, NOT posting answers / worked solutions :smile:
Original post by HollyAJb
Hi,

b)
ii) P(X<35) (2)

For the last part, you need to think about creating a new random variable for the brownie being less than 35 grams with a new distribution. The bit about them being independent is very helpful for this :smile:
Original post by davros
Please note the forum guidelines - you should only be posting hints and guidance for those areas where the OP has tried some working and got stuck, NOT posting answers / worked solutions :smile:

Ahh sorry wasn’t aware 😂

Quick Reply

Latest