The Student Room Group

Being black (Somali), gay and Muslim

Scroll to see replies

It is said by some scholars and high leaders of Islam that you can be a bit gay or leaning towards the same gender in Islam. Though this forbids you from ever acting upon your feelings ie sensual relations or any intimate relation with the same sex. It is prohibited to act gay. As this is considered a sin brother. I would recommend you to ask allah for guidance and taqwa. As also, do not share with your family. They will never accept it and that’s the truth. Do not share your sins. Ask Allah for help in your situation. Fear God. And remember that this life is simply a test and the after life is what we desire. So abstain from doing wrongfully. As to say, be obedient to your family, the only time you can oppose is when they are completely wrong about something or when they don’t follow the teachings of Islam. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said once that the easiest way to Jinnah (paradise) is through the obedience of the parents and making them happy.

In conclusion brother, you should really find your passion and find Allah through praying especially in these crucial last days. Do Not Have a gay relation ship, it is completely haram. Coming out would make the situation worse in my opinion, keep it to yourself. If Allah has kept it a secret then you should too. That concludes what I wanted to say. I hope you have a bright future and Allah award you paradise. Hopefully you are guided and loved by Allah. I hope you emerge yourself more in Islam. And allah will hopefully listen to you duaa. Allahuma help you inshallah. Please stay strong brother. Have a great day. Please. Read Quran and understand it’s teachings
Salaam akhi,
You need to think about what you value in life.
If you value Islam, then follow Islam. (Love and respect your parents - sort any problems between you, don't commit pre/extra martial sex, etc)
If you value the (temporary) sexual reward during gay sex, then that's up to you. (consider what you want to be gay for? is it just the male body? are you stereotyping the 'typical' female and that's why you would prefer to be with a man?)
Remember Islam forbids any sexual activity before marriage (both homo and hetro sexual).
I'd recommend you to hold your feelings for now, not commit zina (adultery) and see how you're feeling about the whole situation after uni.
Of course what you want to do is up to you, and you can consider me biased in my approach (as I'm muslim).
I'd also recommend you talking to an Imam about everything, you can trust them to keep everything private and not share to anyone (just ask them). There are plenty of mosque's in London, and that all means plenty support available to you.
Original post by Anonymous
of course there are gay Muslims, whether its feelings from the heart of lust and whatnot is debated a lot but it doesn't matter, Islam advises to keep those feelings and thoughts to yourself and not act upon them, thoughts and feelings aren't sins Allah doesn't sin you for them unless you act upon them, if you don't act upon them you are rewarded by Allah for avoiding acting on them. In islam relationship outside marriage is prohibited so a gay relationship or a straight relationship are both haram outside marriage. Marriage in islam is only allowed through woman and man, some Muslims believe they must get married to procreate, and they believe love is found through the obstacles and hardships married couples face and overcome together.

i hope you can mend your family relationship and become a happier person, may Allah give you strength and happiness

Haqq

Spoiler

Original post by Cıllıan
Haqq

Spoiler

thank you akhi!
I have recently been feeling emotional due to several reasons but they all lead back to my sexuality. I have recently seen the announcement of elite season 4 and saw some other clips of Omar and Andre and I related so much with Omar and I started to think about my future and if I will ever be happy or how I will tell my family even though they are not supportive and they have emotionally and physically abused me but also neglected me and my feelings. But being who I am I still want my family to love me ( which will never happen because they love control so much but that’s another story for another time). I have come out to my close friends as gay and they have been supportive a lot but unfortunately not to my family who are super homophobic. Luckily for me I am moving out on September to attend university of Manchester or Exeter to study law and plan to cut ties with my family when I am stable and get a corporate job which I will be when I am 22-23 year's old. What I wanted to ask you guys is so do you believe you can be Muslim and gay? And should I never come out in the future and stay as being the miserable person I am now?
Also I am currently 17 and in the London

I've said this in other threads, but being gay isn't something you can change. You can be gay and muslim if you want to, and God will love you the same regardless. As for your parents, it's up to you whether you come out to them or not. From what you've said, it sounds wise not to tell them until you're financially stable.
I'm also gay, 17 years old and in a somewhat similar position to you. My parents are also religious, so I'm going to keep it a secret from them too until university. I wouldn't be so fast to cut off your parents - for all you know, they could change and accept you for who you really are. If this is sadly not the case, at least you will have friends around to support you.
Morality is derived from God, not society, and He is the one who will judge you when you die.

If you care about your soul, persevere through your trial and crack on with life. You may think you are entitled to being able to love who you want and that it is a right that you can demand off God but who said so?

Everyone has struggles - some are born disabled, some are born in poverty, others have abusive families, and others encounter problems later in life. No one's life is perfect and without trial, so don't have the expectation that yours should be trial free - this is your struggle if you want Jannah; if you want Hell, do what you want and follow your desires like others here are encouraging you to here.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Morality is derived from God, not society, and He is the one who will judge you when you die.

If you care about your soul, persevere through your trial and crack on with life. You may think you are entitled to being able to love who you want and that it is a right that you can demand off God but who said so?

Everyone has struggles - some are born disabled, some are born in poverty, others have abusive families, and others encounter problems later in life. No one's life is perfect and without trial, so don't have the expectation that yours should be trial free - this is your struggle if you want Jannah; if you want Hell, do what you want and follow your desires like others here are encouraging you to here.

Str8 Faactsss
This is the only thing you needa read in this situation
Salaam akhi,
You need to think about what you value in life.
If you value Islam, then follow Islam. (Love and respect your parents - sort any problems between you, don't commit pre/extra martial sex, etc)
If you value the (temporary) sexual reward during gay sex, then that's up to you. (consider what you want to be gay for? is it just the male body? are you stereotyping the 'typical' female and that's why you would prefer to be with a man?)
Remember Islam forbids any sexual activity before marriage (both homo and hetro sexual).
I'd recommend you to hold your feelings for now, not commit zina (adultery) and see how you're feeling about the whole situation after uni.
Of course what you want to do is up to you, and you can consider me biased in my approach (as I'm muslim).
I'd also recommend you talking to an Imam about everything, you can trust them to keep everything private and not share to anyone (just ask them). There are plenty of mosque's in London, and that all means plenty support available to you.

PRSOM
i agreeee mashallah i love your respose
Original post by Qxi.xli
I'm not Muslim, but being gay is part of your identity and is something you can't change. If a certain religion doesn't allow you to be yourself, then perhaps you should consider re-aligning your beliefs. You've got to own it and be proud of it. It's you and that's something you can't change.

Hope you feel better.

PRSOM :biggrin:
Holy ****. There is so much deep rooted homophobia on this thread. OP I sincerely hope you ignore the homophobic b+llshit in this thread. Please live your best life. If you want to f+ck guys, absolutely go for it. You've only got one life, so live your best life. Stop fearing a god that doesn't exist.

^^^ Good advice, PRSOM :smile:
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
PRSOM :biggrin:

right back at you :smile:
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
That’s not Islamophobia. Islamophobia is when people show prejudice or hatred against Muslims. Suggesting that God doesn’t exist is anti-religion but not hateful and certainly not specifically anti-Muslim or anti-Islam. You are not being persecuted.

^^
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 31
I have recently been feeling emotional due to several reasons but they all lead back to my sexuality. I have recently seen the announcement of elite season 4 and saw some other clips of Omar and Andre and I related so much with Omar and I started to think about my future and if I will ever be happy or how I will tell my family even though they are not supportive and they have emotionally and physically abused me but also neglected me and my feelings. But being who I am I still want my family to love me ( which will never happen because they love control so much but that’s another story for another time). I have come out to my close friends as gay and they have been supportive a lot but unfortunately not to my family who are super homophobic. Luckily for me I am moving out on September to attend university of Manchester or Exeter to study law and plan to cut ties with my family when I am stable and get a corporate job which I will be when I am 22-23 year's old. What I wanted to ask you guys is so do you believe you can be Muslim and gay? And should I never come out in the future and stay as being the miserable person I am now?

You might find this organisation helpful

https://www.hidayahlgbt.com/

Stonewall is a useful resource and provides links to groups in the north west and south west that may be useful when you go to university. https://www.stonewall.org.uk/about-us/news/qtipoc-organisations-you-should-know-about

Best of luck. Try and ignore some of the more ignorant comments on here.
Original post by marple
You might find this organisation helpful

https://www.hidayahlgbt.com/

Stonewall is a useful resource and provides links to groups in the north west and south west that may be useful when you go to university. https://www.stonewall.org.uk/about-us/news/qtipoc-organisations-you-should-know-about

Best of luck. Try and ignore some of the more ignorant comments on here.

Thank you very much
Original post by Cıllıan
Regardless you shouldn't make an offensive claim knowing that most people still believe in a God, your opinion is your opinion. The OP wants help with their situation not a religion debate.

Well said they thank you for understanding
If you want to debate Islam, head to the debate forum. This is not the place for it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Well said they thank you for understanding

No problem bro, May Allah make it easy for you and help soften the hearts of your family
Reply 36
Original post by Anonymous #1

Be who you are! Crazy religious people will always talk crap and say it’s wrong or it’s evil! But they don’t respect God! If they did they would follow his will! God said man cannot judge man ! Only I can judge!”
These loonies will try to ruin your life and stop you doing what most of them are doing in secret!
Religious parents ruined my life! Don’t let religion ruin yours sexy man. ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending