The Student Room Group

Studying a level maths when your is set 3

Hey I’m in year 10 about to go to year 11 and was wondering if I was able to move up sets in my school since I will be doing foundation paper the highest grade I can get is a 5 and idk if I can take the subject in college.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going to be brutally honest, if you are predicted a 5 for GCSEs, I would not recommend taking A Level maths.

As for moving up sets, I'd say you should discuss it with your maths teacher as they will be able to point you in the right direction or even move your set themselves.
Reply 2
Original post by SyedN
I'm going to be brutally honest, if you are predicted a 5 for GCSEs, I would not recommend taking A Level maths.

As for moving up sets, I'd say you should discuss it with your maths teacher as they will be able to point you in the right direction or even move your set themselves.

Oh thank you Ik it’s quite a risk to take a level maths but I need it for my future job as a doctor 🥲🏃🏾*♀️
Original post by Iin
Oh thank you Ik it’s quite a risk to take a level maths but I need it for my future job as a doctor 🥲🏃🏾*♀️

... You 100% do not need to do A-level maths to become a doctor what?
Reply 4
Original post by Iin

A-level math is definitely not a requirement for med schools. In the UK, most if not all unis require a level chemistry and quite a few also require biology non of them require math.
Reply 5
Original post by Iin

As others have already said you 100% do not need A Level Maths.

Most universities require A Level Chemistry, but not all.

Some require you to have A Level Biology.

And some require both A Level Biology and Chemistry.

One thing to note is some universities do require 6 at English Language and Maths, some require 5 and only 2 don't look at GCSEs at all.

If you want to be a doctor and need further guidance you should contact as he is a neurology consultant that is very active on here.
Reply 6
Original post by Iin
Hey I’m in year 10 about to go to year 11 and was wondering if I was able to move up sets in my school since I will be doing foundation paper the highest grade I can get is a 5 and idk if I can take the subject in college.

I know someone that was in set 8 for GCSE’s, bottom of the bottom, he worked hard and got his 5
Now he does a level maths and gets A’s

So if u r willing to put a lot of dedication, OF COURSE U CAN DO A LEVEL MAFS!! :smile:)
Reply 7
Original post by Iin

And u don’t need mafs to become a doctor, just chem and bio
Reply 8
Original post by SyedN

Wanna know what I was predicted for GCSEs?
A 2!!!!! 😬
But man does a level mafs now and gets B’s haha
But he gcse predictions are useless, they just look at where u from and stuff like dat
Reply 9
Original post by Biskwit
Wanna know what I was predicted for GCSEs?
A 2!!!!! 😬
But man does a level mafs now and gets B’s haha
But he gcse predictions are useless, they just look at where u from and stuff like dat

Well done, that's brilliant!

However, since they want to apply for medicine after A Levels, they still need to meet the GCSE requirements because if they get predicted 3 As but get a 4 on GCSE Maths, they will only be able to apply for 2 universities in the UK, I think one of them is Newcastle and I can't remember the other one.
Original post by SyedN
Well done, that's brilliant!

However, since they want to apply for medicine after A Levels, they still need to meet the GCSE requirements because if they get predicted 3 As but get a 4 on GCSE Maths, they will only be able to apply for 2 universities in the UK, I think one of them is Newcastle and I can't remember the other one.

Ohh noooo, I didn’t get a 2 , that was just my predicted 😅 , I got a 6 at the end lol, but thx anyways

My point was that the predicted grades which the teachers give aren’t always accurate
Original post by Iin

To be honest, AS level maths is all about hard work.

If you can brush up your grade 6,7,8,9 during summer holidays, with some before hand reading for AS maths, I reckon it will be feasible.
Reply 12
Original post by Levi.-
... You 100% do not need to do A-level maths to become a doctor what?

Wait! What! I though- what
Reply 13
Oh thank u all so much 😁
Reply 14
Thank you
Reply 15
Original post by Iin
Wait! What! I though- what

Go on universities' websites. Look at the course page for medicine. They never require A-level maths. Chem and bio is sufficient almost anywhere.

That said you shouldn't be hopeless at maths either because I think it comes up on the admissions tests (?)
Original post by Sinnoh
Go on universities' websites. Look at the course page for medicine. They never require A-level maths. Chem and bio is sufficient almost anywhere.

That said you shouldn't be hopeless at maths either because I think it comes up on the admissions tests (?)

yep
Original post by Iin

Set 3 do higher paper if not mixed tier.
Original post by Iin

also, if you try for hgher and get 6, i wouldn't reccommend A Level maths still.
Reply 19
Original post by METRIX64
Set 3 do higher paper if not mixed tier.

It depends entirely on the school

Quick Reply

Latest