The Student Room Group

Student finance will only cover my rent :( ?

My rent is £8900 for the 2021 academic year, I get £9300 student loan. Meaning I’ll only have £400 for myself for the entire year, which is literally £7 a week lol. I’m so stressed and Idk what to do. My family are low income , they can’t help me.

Scroll to see replies

Might be an idea to look at getting a part time job to help make up the difference, or look for cheaper accommodation if that’s an option?
Original post by GabiAbi84
Might be an idea to look at getting a part time job to help make up the difference, or look for cheaper accommodation if that’s an option?

The accommodation I’ve booked is the cheapest one! I’m definitely looking Into part times jobs but I’m just scared I won’t get one and then have to live miserably
Original post by nicolegrace1207
My rent is £8900 for the 2021 academic year, I get £9300 student loan. Meaning I’ll only have £400 for myself for the entire year, which is literally £7 a week lol. I’m so stressed and Idk what to do. My family are low income , they can’t help me.

Im in kinda the same situation as you over here too :frown: im still trying to figure things out myself haha but have you looked into private accommodations?
That is a lot for rent. You say you've 'booked' accom already so does that mean you've opted for uni owned or private halls? If so then they are often more expensive than a house share which may be a better option (which you don't typically 'book' hence why i thought you may have opted for student halls).

Student hall rooms in my area start at around 110+, and rent in a houseshare here is often around 30-50+ so much cheaper even with some extra added for bills and transport.
Original post by Kogomogo
That is a lot for rent. You say you've 'booked' accom already so does that mean you've opted for uni owned or private halls? If so then they are often more expensive than a house share which may be a better option (which you don't typically 'book' hence why i thought you may have opted for student halls).

Student hall rooms in my area start at around 110+, and rent in a houseshare here is often around 30-50+ so much cheaper even with some extra added for bills and transport.

yeah i agree its alot! BUT whereabouts are you staying? Im going to manchester, its super expensive so the average accomodation pcw costs at least £150 for an en suit
I'd definitely look into cheaper accommodation, that's a crazy price for rent.

I'm paying £200+ less than that a month and this is for an entire city centre apartment to myself. I can imagine if you shop around a bit you'll be able to find cheaper, even if that means private renting.
Reply 7

Studying outside of London I presume?

That's a ridiculous price and you'll certainly be able to find much cheaper accommodation. If you're dead set on it, get a job.
Original post by Kogomogo

I’ve opted for uni halls as I think it’s easier to find friends this way rather than living in a house with 3 other people who I may or may not get along with! I’m paying £173 per week, but it’s a 52 week contract instead of 42, hence why it’s so much annually.
Original post by Zara_qwe
yeah i agree its alot! BUT whereabouts are you staying? Im going to manchester, its super expensive so the average accomodation pcw costs at least £150 for an en suit

I’m going to Cambridge. I’m paying £173 per week and it’s on a 52 week contract rather than the usual 42, hence why it’s a bit pricier annually.
Original post by MidgetFever
I'd definitely look into cheaper accommodation, that's a crazy price for rent.

I'm paying £200+ less than that a month and this is for an entire city centre apartment to myself. I can imagine if you shop around a bit you'll be able to find cheaper, even if that means private renting.

This is the cheapest student hall I can find, I don’t want to live in a shared house as I want to have the proper uni experience of living in halls!
Original post by IWMTom
Studying outside of London I presume?

That's a ridiculous price and you'll certainly be able to find much cheaper accommodation. If you're dead set on it, get a job.

I’m staying in Cambridge, this is the cheapest available student accommodation left, as all other cheaper options are fully booked. I don’t want to live in a shared house and I want to make friends and find this is easier living in a building with hundreds of people rather than a house with 4 people.
Reply 12
I’m staying in Cambridge, this is the cheapest available student accommodation left, as all other cheaper options are fully booked. I don’t want to live in a shared house and I want to make friends and find this is easier living in a building with hundreds of people rather than a house with 4 people.

Then you're going to have to work if you want to live.
I’ve opted for uni halls as I think it’s easier to find friends this way rather than living in a house with 3 other people who I may or may not get along with! I’m paying £173 per week, but it’s a 52 week contract instead of 42, hence why it’s so much annually.

The easier to find friends thing is a flimsy excuse, you'll have random people as neighbours in halls too, with shared kitchen (and possibly bathroom) facilities as well. There's no guarantee you'll get on with your halls neighbours any better or worse than housemates, and your halls neighbours can make your life just as hell as flatmates could if you don't get on. Student halls also tend to be notoriously messy in the kitchen department, so you're not solving any 'messy housemate' problems by using halls either. There is an advanatge to halls in not necessarily having to commute as far, but you'll still be able to throw yourself into societies and clubs just as much, most of the best frends at uni are made through the course itself and societies, where you all have some sort of common interest / values.

You may have good reasons for opting for a 52 week contract over a 42 week one, i don't know your curcumstances there but if you've opted for the longer contract in a bid to get more 'student experience' too then I can tell you now you're not going to get your money's worth. Campuses are normally very quiet over the summer holidays, most students will go home, there will be very little going on and it can be very isolating. I get it if you want it for the independence aspect but it might just be a luxury you simply can't afford.

Unfortunately the simple fact is that you can't afford this living arrangement unless you work or find the money somehow, i'm sorry but that's life. If it's your dream uni then you need to accept you'll either have to work or cheap out on living costs in order to go. If you can't find work you will have big financial problems, and having to work may eat into the 'student experience' way more than living in a houseshare if you don't have the time to join in things. Otherwise, if the uni halls experience without working is such a must for you then you might just have to think about seeing if you can switch to a uni in an area with a cheaper cost of living.

I'm sorry if i came across as harsh but unfortunately that's life, we can't all afford to have everything we want all the time.
This is the cheapest student hall I can find, I don’t want to live in a shared house as I want to have the proper uni experience of living in halls!

Then I'd get looking for jobs, otherwise I think your uni experience is going to be very short lived and stressful.
Reply 15

I don’t think it’s very wise to go for such expensive accommodation. I’ve seen you’re going to Cambridge; I’ve seen much cheaper there. You might not get to live in halls but at least you’ll be financially stable and can just concentrate on studying.
Reply 16
I’m going to Cambridge. I’m paying £173 per week and it’s on a 52 week contract rather than the usual 42, hence why it’s a bit pricier annually.

Which subject are you studying, Nicole? Will this be your first year?
Reply 17
Have you taken into account the Cambridge bursary?
Original post by Kerzen
Which subject are you studying, Nicole? Will this be your first year?

I’m a Vet Student going into my first year.
Original post by nutz99
Have you taken into account the Cambridge bursary?

I’m going to Anglia Ruskin, not the university of Cambridge. The low I come bursary is £600, which isn’t too great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending