The Student Room Group

Filter light help when turning right.

If the filter lights at the trafffic lights shows green to go ahead and one for turning left at the same time is also green, is it ok to turn right if there is no extra/special filter light for turning right?

However, the red light is on when the filter light for going straight ahead and turning left is on. Confused. :confused:
Original post by Kutie Karen
is it ok to turn right if there is no extra/special filter light for turning right?

Yes. It just means you don't have priority and have to give way to oncoming traffic.

EDIT: I am assuming in this situation you have described has the solid green light on as well as the left filter light, like this

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
Yes. It just means you don't have priority and have to give way to oncoming traffic.

EDIT: I am assuming in this situation you have described has the solid green light on as well as the left filter light, like this

I don't think so. The filter light for turning left and going ahead were on. I am not sure but the red light might have been on. There was no space on the traffic lights for it to turn on a filter light green. However, there were road markings for you to position the car to turn right. What do you think?
anyone?
Reply 4
If the filter lights at the trafffic lights shows green to go ahead and one for turning left at the same time is also green, is it ok to turn right if there is no extra/special filter light for turning right?

However, the red light is on when the filter light for going straight ahead and turning left is on. Confused. :confused:

What shape was the "green to go ahead" light? Was it a normal round light as @Blue_Cow depicts? Or was a green arrow for go ahead?
Original post by martin7
What shape was the "green to go ahead" light? Was it a normal round light as @Blue_Cow depicts? Or was a green arrow for go ahead?

Go ahead arrow and turn left arrow.
Is this a riddle?
Original post by relivemyyouth
Is this a riddle?

Nope. why do you say that?
Nope. why do you say that?

I suspect because you now said that their were two green arrows and a red light which “might have been on”, so it’s very difficult to visualise. You’d probably be better showing us some screengrabs from google maps or a link to the junction.
Original post by Admit-One
I suspect because you now said that their were two green arrows and a red light which “might have been on”, so it’s very difficult to visualise. You’d probably be better showing us some screengrabs from google maps or a link to the junction.

I think I did say that both arrows were on. What do you think?
depends on what the road signs say. If the left hand lane is straight on and right, then you can go right - see drawing attached
Original post by oliviapig
depends on what the road signs say. If the left hand lane is straight on and right, then you can go right - see drawing attached

The picture doesn't match with what the OP appears to be describing. I suspect they're talking about a light such as this (see attachment)

From my understanding, the OP is likely talking about something like this (See attachment)

Also, based on the two lights being on while a red is still showing, it sounds like there's at least three lanes.

As for the OP, the red light applies to all traffic unless a conflicting filter arrow is displayed. In this case, left and ahead can proceed while right turners must wait.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
The picture doesn't match with what the OP appears to be describing. I suspect they're talking about a light such as this (see attachment)

From my understanding, the OP is likely talking about something like this (See attachment)

Also, based on the two lights being on while a red is still showing, it sounds like there's at least three lanes.

As for the OP, the red light applies to all traffic unless a conflicting filter arrow is displayed. In this case, left and ahead can proceed while right turners must wait.

That is clearer, cheers.

If don’t think I’ve seen that particular arrangement before and it would probably give me a moment of two of head scratching also.
That is clearer, cheers.

If don’t think I’ve seen that particular arrangement before and it would probably give me a moment of two of head scratching also.

Agreed, it's not an arrangement I've seen but it's just what I'm picturing based on the OP's description. I would've thought that in a scenario like this where all three possibilities are traffic light controlled, that right turners would have their own set of lights rather than have it all implemented into one. I'm sure there's probably some far-out, whacky example somewhere though.

And yes, it appears to be one of those lights that catches people out if that is indeed the layout the OP is talking about. There's one in a town nearby where right turners are controlled by the main light, while those going ahead are controlled by a filter light (not a particularly common order from what I've seen) and are the first to go. It's always catching people out so I can only imagine this sort of layout, if it does exist, doubles the problem.
(edited 2 years ago)
I’m sure this post illustrates why Kafka is popular as an author. Say something rooted in reality but also make it abstract and uncertain so people can devise their own interpretations. Then sit back and watch as everyone endlessly theorises and tries to understand the hidden meaning behind the message and to find the reason for the protagonist’s suffering, incase it might inform their own condition the next time they are at a set of lights. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
There were two lanes. One for going ahead and one for turning right. The filter light for going left and ahead were green and on at the same time and a red light. after the lights there was road markings to help turn right where the car can wait. Does that help with giving advice
There were two lanes. One for going ahead and one for turning right. The filter light for going left and ahead were green and on at the same time and a red light. after the lights there was road markings to help turn right where the car can wait. Does that help with giving advice

The green filter lights override the red for the direction they're pointing in.

So the green arrow pointing ahead means you can go ahead. The green arrow pointing left means you can go left. The red light applies to any other directions. In this case, the red means you can't turn right.

I mean, it doesn't change the advice I gave earlier, which has also been stated by Martin. It's just a bit of an unusual traffic light as junctions like this are generally controlled by two sets of lights rather than sticking all the lights on one pole.

Quick Reply

Latest