The Student Room Group

How do I find work experience in politics?

I'm a Year 10 student and I've been trying to find work experience for a while, mainly because my school has been putting a lot of pressure on us to find some, but also because I really want to further my education/future career.
I have been quite sure on my decision to go down the politics career path over the past year, and I believe that it's what I want to do when I am older, however I just don't know how to get work experience in the field. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is anyone in a similar position?
Also, I'm not really sure if this is the right category to post this in, but here goes :smile:
Try emailing your local MPs and people like that
also idk if your area has a local youth council
Springpod has a variety I even applied for some politics last month they usually take place in the half term so maybe you can do one for politics. I completed one for law it was very fun.
Reply 4
Original post by lydiaalicexxw
I'm a Year 10 student and I've been trying to find work experience for a while, mainly because my school has been putting a lot of pressure on us to find some, but also because I really want to further my education/future career.
I have been quite sure on my decision to go down the politics career path over the past year, and I believe that it's what I want to do when I am older, however I just don't know how to get work experience in the field. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is anyone in a similar position?
Also, I'm not really sure if this is the right category to post this in, but here goes :smile:

How long does the work experience have to last for?

You could ask to spend the day with your local MP. Do you know in which constituency you live?

At a more accessible level, you could identify a local councillor and see whether you can spend some time with him/her.
Original post by wizkid44
Try emailing your local MPs and people like that

Thanks for the response! I'll definitely try that.
Original post by Hailey629
Springpod has a variety I even applied for some politics last month they usually take place in the half term so maybe you can do one for politics. I completed one for law it was very fun.

Thanks! I think my school actually recommended Springpod, I didn't initially find anything on there but I'll be sure to take another look.
Original post by Kerzen

You could ask to spend the day with your local MP. Do you know in which constituency you live?

At a more accessible level, you could identify a local councillor and see whether you can spend some time with him/her.

5 days! My school has a set week, I think, for it. I'll try those things, thanks for the advice!
Original post by Kerzen

However, my local MP is conservative and I'm really not into the conservative party so not sure I'd feel very comfortable asking about that.
However, my local MP is conservative and I'm really not into the conservative party so not sure I'd feel very comfortable asking about that.

Yeah but regardless of their political leanings it would be good to see what sort of stuff they get up to. If you’re wanting to go into politics then you’ll come into contact and interact with lots of Conservatives anyway :smile:

Failing that, just generally something within your local council might be a good shout?
Original post by laurawatt
Yeah but regardless of their political leanings it would be good to see what sort of stuff they get up to. If you’re wanting to go into politics then you’ll come into contact and interact with lots of Conservatives anyway :smile:

Failing that, just generally something within your local council might be a good shout?

Yeah, I understand that. I'll look more into that, thanks for the reply :smile:

If you do get experience, it will be based in their office anyway probably looking at problems/casework from constituents. Boring stuff, common stuff that all MPs regardless of political party need to deal with.
Reply 12
It might be that there are political party organisers for the party which is more to your taste in your area. You could find out who they are and see what they could offer.
5 days! My school has a set week, I think, for it. I'll try those things, thanks for the advice!

Then try a local councillor but also talk to the local council officers to ask for work experience in the council offices themselves (including facilitating council meetings if possible)
Thanks! I think my school actually recommended Springpod, I didn't initially find anything on there but I'll be sure to take another look.

I even applied for a politics one last month for law they usually repeat them again and again so maybe you can find the next one that comes round

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending