The Student Room Group

stats

For a particular disease, 70% of patients are successfully cured with the current drug available.
Drug companies claim that a new drug, Aptok, will cure a greater proportion of patients than the current drug.
To test the claim, a random sample of 35 patients with the disease are treated with Aptok.
A test is carried out at the 1% significance level to determine whether the new drug cures a greater proportion of patients than the current drug.
Q- Explain why the significance level of 1% is more appropiate in this context than a significance level of 5%?

Scroll to see replies

What level of stats is this?
Reply 2
a level
Original post by 01sbrals
a level

As part of A level maths? And how many marks is the question worth?
Reply 4
Original post by Knortfoxx
As part of A level maths? And how many marks is the question woit is only 1 mark.

it is only 1 mark. i was the last part of the question. didnt have a clue what to say for it though
Original post by 01sbrals
it is only 1 mark. i was the last part of the question. didnt have a clue what to say for it though

Probably because medicine is high stakes - you want to lower the chance of being wrong if lives are at stake.
Reply 6
Original post by Knortfoxx
Probably because medicine is high stakes - you want to lower the chance of being wrong if lives are at stake.

Thank you!:smile:
Reply 7
Hey there I am having trouble answering the other parts of the question like the following:frown:a)(l)State appropriate null and alternative hypotheses for this test.(a)(ll)Find the critical region for this test(b)State,in context,the conclusion of the test if 30 patients are successfully cured.Can anyone help me ?
Original post by gibsh
Hey there I am having trouble answering the other parts of the question like the following:frown:a)(l)State appropriate null and alternative hypotheses for this test.(a)(ll)Find the critical region for this test(b)State,in context,the conclusion of the test if 30 patients are successfully cured.Can anyone help me ?

Do you know what null and alternative hypotheses are?
Reply 9
Original post by Theloniouss

no really struggling with this question.Can you help me please?
Reply 10

no,i know in general but not the ones in this question.
talking about this question:
For a particular disease, 70% of patients are successfully cured with the current drug available.
Drug companies claim that a new drug, Aptok, will cure a greater proportion of patients than the current drug.
To test the claim, a random sample of 35 patients with the disease are treated with Aptok.
A test is carried out at the 1% significance level to determine whether the new drug cures a greater proportion of patients than the current drug.

a)(l)State appropriate null and alternative hypotheses for this test.(a)(ll)Find the critical region for this test(b)State,in context,the conclusion of the test if 30 patients are successfully cured.Can anyone help me ?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gibsh
no,i know in general but not the ones in this question.
talking about this question:

a)(l)State appropriate null and alternative hypotheses for this test.(a)(ll)Find the critical region for this test(b)State,in context,the conclusion of the test if 30 patients are successfully cured.Can anyone help me ?

There's nothing special about this question, the null and alternative hypotheses are the same as they'd normally be.
Reply 12
There's nothing special about this question, the null and alternative hypotheses are the same as they'd normally be.

What is it then?Is the null hypothesis p=0.7 and the alternate one p not equal to 0.7(two tailed test)?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gibsh
What is it then?Is the null hypothesis p=0.7 and the alternate one p not equal to 0.7(two tailed test)?

Your null hypothesis is correct, but you need to pay attention to the wording of the question: "A test is carried out at the 1% significance level to determine whether the new drug cures a greater proportion of patients than the current drug."
Reply 14
Your null hypothesis is correct, but you need to pay attention to the wording of the question: "A test is carried out at the 1% significance level to determine whether the new drug cures a greater proportion of patients than the current drug."

So p is greather than 0.7?for the alternate hypothesis
Original post by gibsh
So p is greather than 0.7?for the alternate hypothesis

yeah, H1 = p>0.7
Reply 16
yeah, H1 = p>0.7

I found my critical region as p(x is great or equal to 31) but am unable to solve the last part and frankly have no clue about it:
State,in context,the conclusion of the test if 30 patients are successfully cured.
Original post by gibsh
I found my critical region as p(x is great or equal to 31) but am unable to solve the last part and frankly have no clue about it:
State,in context,the conclusion of the test if 30 patients are successfully cured.

Can you rephrase your critical region in normal english? That might help.
Reply 18
Can you rephrase your critical region in normal english? That might help.

p(x≥31)
Original post by gibsh
p(x≥31)

That's not normal English, that's stats notation. Explain what that means with words.

Quick Reply

Latest