Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Deleted now
Last edited by wood675; 4 weeks ago
Lawschoolhack
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Start by identifying the core issues and then do your research. The coursework covers several topics.
wood675
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lawschoolhack)
Start by identifying the core issues and then do your research. The coursework covers several topics.
Hi! Could you elaborate a little? I am really struggling with this, thanks!
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Start by identifying the general topic. For example, the trustees have been asked to re-settle R's share in the trust fund and pay income to S (on demand). So start researching whether trustees have the power to take capital from the trust fund and re-settle it and whether they must pay income to a minor on request.

You need to get your head around what is actually happening from the facts. So unpick them carefully. The questions provide guidance as to what the examiner requires you to disucss. For example question (a) asks if the bens can take any action against the trustees so look for a possible breach or breaches of the trustees' duties.
wood675
Rep:
?
Start by identifying the general topic. For example, the trustees have been asked to re-settle R's share in the trust fund and pay income to S (on demand). So start researching whether trustees have the power to take capital from the trust fund and re-settle it and whether they must pay income to a minor on request.

You need to get your head around what is actually happening from the facts. So unpick them carefully. The questions provide guidance as to what the examiner requires you to disucss. For example question (a) asks if the bens can take any action against the trustees so look for a possible breach or breaches of the trustees' duties.
Wow that’s brilliant that actually helps a lot!! Thanks so much 🙂
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hopefully you managed to work it out.

Part 1 - breach of fiduciary duty
Part 2 - duty of care in relation to investments (TA 2000 ss.1, 4 & 5 in particular ) and maintenance and advancement (TA1925, ss. 31 and 32).
wood675
Rep:
?
Hopefully you managed to work it out.

Part 1 - breach of fiduciary duty
Part 2 - duty of care in relation to investments (TA 2000 ss.1, 4 & 5 in particular ) and maintenance and advancement (TA1925, ss. 31 and 32).
I really appreciate your help, I’ve managed to do most of the coursework, I am just struggling on the first question relating to the lease in favour of Thomas, do you think that would be a breach of fiduciary duty? Thanks!
CarolineMills99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, I am also doing the same coursework question and I am finding it hard to answer question 2. Were you able to figure it out? If so are you able to help me.

Thank you
CarolineMills99
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by wood675)
I really appreciate your help, I’ve managed to do most of the coursework, I am just struggling on the first question relating to the lease in favour of Thomas, do you think that would be a breach of fiduciary duty? Thanks!
To answer your first question, I spoke about how Thomas was in a breach of a fiduciary duty as he broke the no conflict rule. He advised the trustees to purchase the freehold then he purchased the lease two years after in his personal capacity which means he put his best interests over the trusts'.

Hope this helps!
CarolineMills99
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CarolineMills99)
To answer your first question, I spoke about how Thomas was in a breach of a fiduciary duty as he broke the no conflict rule. He advised the trustees to purchase the freehold then he purchased the lease two years after in his personal capacity which means he put his best interests over the trusts'.

Hope this helps!
I am a new member so I cant reply to your Pm! But yes I am a student there and I have seen what you're talking about. Thank you so much! How did you get on with the 1st question?
wood675
Rep:
?
I am a new member so I cant reply to your Pm! But yes I am a student there and I have seen what you're talking about. Thank you so much! How did you get on with the 1st question?
It’s a little bit difficult to get your head around, but i spoke about how the purchase of ‘tong lodge’ was a breach of duty since trustees cannot buy trust property, and also the purchase of ‘the barn’ is not a breach, because bethany purchased it before she was a trustee!
CarolineMills99
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh good. I did the same but I wasn't 100% sure on Thomas' part of the question so thank you so much for reassuring me! Thanks for your help and good luck! I'll be happy to return the favour if you need help too!
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh good. I did the same but I wasn't 100% sure on Thomas' part of the question so thank you so much for reassuring me! Thanks for your help and good luck! I'll be happy to return the favour if you need help too!
It’s a little bit difficult to get your head around, but i spoke about how the purchase of ‘tong lodge’ was a breach of duty since trustees cannot buy trust property, and also the purchase of ‘the barn’ is not a breach, because bethany purchased it before she was a trustee!
There is a breach by Bethany IMO.
adrian1999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There is a breach by Bethany IMO.
Can you please explain how?? Thank you
adrian1999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Would you mind helping me with Q2 please? Have the same question and it’s confusing asf
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by adrian1999)
Would you mind helping me with Q2 please? Have the same question and it’s confusing asf
See if my earlier posts help re Q2 .
Last edited by Lawschoolhack; 2 months ago
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Can you please explain how?? Thank you
IMO the fact that she bought the property before becoming a trustee is irrelevant. However, the issue is whether the valuations protect her.
adrian1999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
IMO the fact that she bought the property before becoming a trustee is irrelevant. However, the issue is whether the valuations protect her.
Thank you, managed to answer Q2 and your comments were really helpful!
Regarding Q1 and Bethany, can you please explain a little bit more... is it still the breach of fiduciary duty we are also talking about here? Or another breach? A little confused
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you, managed to answer Q2 and your comments were really helpful!
Regarding Q1 and Bethany, can you please explain a little bit more... is it still the breach of fiduciary duty we are also talking about here? Or another breach? A little confused
breach of fiduciary duty
adrian1999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
breach of fiduciary duty
How would the valuations result to a breach by Bethany? I don’t quite understand...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.14%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.28%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.93%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.26%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.5%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads