The Student Room Group

How long was everyone's job search?

Mine was two months to land a graduate role, what about you guys.

It wasn't all roses though, I went 1-4 in final interviews.

But I did end up with a far fancier Central London role than I or anyone that knows of me on this website would have envisioned.

Let's just say I was a vocal misguided one in years one-three of my degree lol.

But ironically, what I'm doing now is all about being a bit critical of people's qualifications in a very exclusive industry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I started applying for jobs in August (just before starting my last year of university) and finally landed a job in April of next year. I applied for all possible graduate roles I could find. Looking back, it took me so long because my CV was not properly made when I started applying. So, many of those early applications resulted in a big waste of time for me.

If I could go back in time I would definitely take advantage of the careers service at Uni much more and much earlier in my university degree as well as creating a killer Linkedin profile and take advantage of services like gradtext to save a lot of time when applying.

At the end of the day, it is all numbers game, the more jobs you apply for the more likely you are to land one. Could be a week, or months!
Graduated last year. Still ongoing. Not been too many positions for grads. Case of constantly looking. Lack of experience is an issue, seem to get interviews but come up against someone with experience. Widening my horizons in terms of role yet still something I'm interested in. Applied for jobs through agencies in other cities but get asked how would you move or we are looking for someone local. Even retail jobs have been more thin on the ground in 2021. A numbers game indeed yet you still need to have pukka application.
since 2019
14.5 months, it was grueling tbh. Ended up at a company I like with great colleagues but I'm honestly unsure if I've fully recovered from the amount of stress I put on after 70ish applications/rejections.
Original post by alexschmalex
14.5 months, it was grueling tbh. Ended up at a company I like with great colleagues but I'm honestly unsure if I've fully recovered from the amount of stress I put on after 70ish applications/rejections.

Bruh, going through it all again since I left my old job! 😪

How's life anyway?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Proxenus
since 2019

Are you tailoring your CV to each position you apply to? This small tip alone did wonders for me because I used to send the same CV to every company SMH (don't do that, always tailor it to the job position it increases your chances by a lot). Also use places like cvlibrary, LinkedIn and matchtech.
Usually between 4-11 days.
That said, I tend to get work through temporary agencies and personal recommendations.
I never apply for very competitive roles or graduate schemes.
Original post by londonmyst
I never apply for very competitive roles or graduate schemes.

Agreed. I learned the hard way it's just not worth the stress.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by trapking
Are you tailoring your CV to each position you apply to? This small tip alone did wonders for me because I used to send the same CV to every company SMH (don't do that, always tailor it to the job position it increases your chances by a lot). Also use places like cvlibrary, LinkedIn and matchtech.

ofc my man each cv and cover takes a while ha. study the description and try score as many points on ATS
ofc my man each cv and cover takes a while ha. study the description and try score as many points on ATS

ATS?

Cover Letters are not always necessary! Oh and don't waste your time applying for very competitive grad schemes/job roles.
(edited 2 years ago)
ATS?

Cover Letters are not always necessary! Oh and don't waste your time applying for very competitive grad schemes/job roles.

applicant tracking system

filters out 80% of cvs then the top 20 cvs with highest scores will get read by a Human

'i demonstrated leadership' = 0 points
'i demonstrated leadership during project X using X leadership style ....' = 1 point

normally the more competitive the programming the better structure and organised it is. you will meet many people your age better bonuses and will be Alot happier. I made it to final 10 for a grad role with 1003 applications so there's defo hope!

what's Ur status
(edited 2 years ago)
Agreed. I learned the hard way it's just not worth the stress.

PRSOM
applicant tracking system

filters out 80% of cvs then the top 20 cvs with highest scores will get read by a Human

'i demonstrated leadership' = 0 points
'i demonstrated leadership during project X using X leadership style ....' = 1 point

normally the more competitive the programming the better structure and organised it is. you will meet many people your age better bonuses and will be Alot happier. I made it to final 10 for a grad role with 1003 applications so there's defo hope!

what's Ur status

Oh.

I had a good paying job but I didn't enjoy it so I left. Currently going through a bit of a career change.
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh.

I had a good paying job but I didn't enjoy it so I left. Currently going through a bit of a career change.

back on hunt?

what you going for now?
back on hunt?

what you going for now?

Yes.

Mechanical design engineering (sticking to my core discipline as opposed to going too outside).
(edited 2 years ago)
Yes.

Mechanical design engineering (sticking to my core discipline, I was doing marine previously).

I hate design. I prefer supply chain, Operations, management
Original post by route255
Graduated last year. Still ongoing. Not been too many positions for grads. Case of constantly looking. Lack of experience is an issue, seem to get interviews but come up against someone with experience. Widening my horizons in terms of role yet still something I'm interested in. Applied for jobs through agencies in other cities but get asked how would you move or we are looking for someone local. Even retail jobs have been more thin on the ground in 2021. A numbers game indeed yet you still need to have pukka application.

Try to get your CV right, and tailor it to that industry. Learn the keywords of the ATS, fabricate extra-curriculars you could have done at university but didn't. Alot of it is just playing a game.

Literally pick an industry...recruitment is hot right now for example, it's ****... But it gets you some experience. I'm in executive search, which is fancier recruitment, but I mainly got my job because of my language skills. But I haven't done a single internship ever lol. I do have a Russell group and a highly ranked dutch uni on my CV (MSc).
Graduated in June, got my job offer (none graduate job) in august, started in september.

Has taken 7 months but have worked my way up into the graduate design position i wanted since before going to uni :smile:
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Try to get your CV right, and tailor it to that industry. Learn the keywords of the ATS, fabricate extra-curriculars you could have done at university but didn't. Alot of it is just playing a game.

Literally pick an industry...recruitment is hot right now for example, it's ****... But it gets you some experience. I'm in executive search, which is fancier recruitment, but I mainly got my job because of my language skills. But I haven't done a single internship ever lol. I do have a Russell group and a highly ranked dutch uni on my CV (MSc).

Did you get the chance to learn Dutch or did Covid interfere?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending