The Student Room Group

A level geography edexcel tectonics 12 marker

Assess the relative importance of physical factors and processes in explaining the impacts of volcanic eruptions (12)
Can anybody help with this question? I have a rough idea of the structure but find the question hard. Any plans or any other info will be helpful thank you.
I'll give some bullet points that should help you out.

- what are some physical factors affecting volcanic eruptions?
- how do they each effect?

bc this is a 12 marker assess, you need reach a final judgement with case studies. In class, you should've learnt about a developed and developing case study for volcanoes, my class did the Eyjafjallajökull Volcano in Iceland and I did Mt Nyiragongo in Congo independantly. Use whatever case studies you have and compare the physical aspect, and link in the impacts of each. Briefly mention development as well bc u could link in mitigation of physical factors, but don't focus too much on that.

Remember to not mention earthquakes as much as volcanoes, bc that is a very easy trap to fall into

Hope it helps
x Bree
Original post by Bree_Dav
I'll give some bullet points that should help you out.

- what are some physical factors affecting volcanic eruptions?
- how do they each effect?

bc this is a 12 marker assess, you need reach a final judgement with case studies. In class, you should've learnt about a developed and developing case study for volcanoes, my class did the Eyjafjallajökull Volcano in Iceland and I did Mt Nyiragongo in Congo independantly. Use whatever case studies you have and compare the physical aspect, and link in the impacts of each. Briefly mention development as well bc u could link in mitigation of physical factors, but don't focus too much on that.

Remember to not mention earthquakes as much as volcanoes, bc that is a very easy trap to fall into

Hope it helps
x Bree

Thanks for this. What exactly are some physical factors though? I know that for Iceland I could mention the ash and gas and also the flash flooding etc. What are physical factors though?
Original post by Deisosospiw
Thanks for this. What exactly are some physical factors though? I know that for Iceland I could mention the ash and gas and also the flash flooding etc. What are physical factors though?

Hey,

Physical Factors could include magnitude (also link to speed of onset?), areal extent, volcano type (e.g. shield, composite, super), focal depth, etc.

thats all that comes to mind rn

hope it helps, xx
Reply 4
from which past/ which year. date is this A Level Geography Exam Paper is this question taken?
anyone have the 2021 paper 1 edexcel geography?

Quick Reply

Latest